Closed Thread

Thread: Pet Peeves

I've always just said "no" because it was unlisted.

My pet peeve is nasty hostile people who provoke you into being nasty and hostile in return. Who then procede to tell others "well, look how she is".

If you had just left me alone in the frist place or had been polite, I wouldn't have blown up you !(@$%&#*&
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Pet peeve: people who mispronounce "realtor" and "jewelry". They say "Re-la-tor. Nope, it's Real-tor. I've even heard Realtor's say this! And Jewelry is Jew-el-ry not Jew-le-ry.

One more that gets me: "Could care less". Could care less suggests you DO care to some degree. It's "couldn't care less". Unfortunately, this has seeped into our culture so deeply that I've even heard news casters say it wrong. Ah, well, I'm outnumbered.

Oh my gosh wendiness- I just came over here to post about "I could care less" (as I just saw it used in another thread). That is right at the top of my list w/ "warsh"> as in "warsh my clothes.

PS I say "real-a-tor" gulp
    "The older you get, the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N." Wooderson, "Dazed & Confused"

Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp
    My pet peeve is nasty hostile people who provoke you into being nasty and hostile in return. Who then procede to tell others "well, look how she is".

If you had just left me alone in the frist place or had been polite, I wouldn't have blown up you !(@$%&#*&
    I am so with you on that one! I hate people who bait you, beg you to do something, then go around and say 'look what she did' blah blah blah. Man, that goes back to school days when people dared me to throw snowballs in school, then turned around and told on me the minute I did (no one beleived that I would do that though)

Here's a peeve, so friggin much has happened in the last couple weeks that I can't decide which thread to post it in or if I even have the time!

People who are rude and disrespectful!

I was in class today and the same kids who talk through every class were at it again. The last 40+ minues of the class was taken up with a film. During the film, these 3 or 4 kids (probably late teens/early 20's - young enough to be my kids!) started in flirting and laughing and text messaging each other - all while the rest of the class was trying to watch this film. Finally another student - an woman probably in her 50's - asked them very nicely if they could please be quiet, that the sounds from the Sidekicks/Blackberries were distratcting, and that everyone else just wanted to watch the film. WELL - the girl closest to her basically called her a bitch and told her to mind her own business. The woman got so flustered that she actually got up and left class. The kids all laughed and acted like "What was her problem?" And what did the proffesor do? Nothing!

I wanted to smack all of them upside the head. I'll be tracking that prof down at her next office hour.

I don't understand the point of paying for college and going to class if you're going to talk, goof off, sleep through every lecture. Maybe the key here is that they're not actually paying for college: mom and dad are paying. Maybe the prof should call their parents and tell them how their children are spending class time!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickngirl
    That is right at the top of my list w/ "warsh"> as in "warsh my clothes.
    I say "Warsh" all the time just for fun. It always drove me nuts when my mom and grandma would always say "warsh" so I do it now just to mock them (all in good fun though. )

Quote Originally Posted by wendiness
    Pet peeve: people who mispronounce "realtor" and "jewelry". They say "Re-la-tor. Nope, it's Real-tor. I've even heard Realtor's say this! And Jewelry is Jew-el-ry not Jew-le-ry.

One more that gets me: "Could care less". Could care less suggests you DO care to some degree. It's "couldn't care less". Unfortunately, this has seeped into our culture so deeply that I've even heard news casters say it wrong. Ah, well, I'm outnumbered.
    I totally agree! Or they say "jury" instead of Jewelry.

Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp
    Oh heck yes. This irritates me beyond belief. It's like people who are always nasty, they don't get called on stuff because it is almost "expected". But the "nice" people who refuse to be doormats and fight back/defend themselves get ragged on for doing so. I can't even tell you how many times this has happened to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    WELL - the girl closest to her basically called her a bitch and told her to mind her own business. The woman got so flustered that she actually got up and left class. The kids all laughed and acted like "What was her problem?" And what did the proffesor do? Nothing!
    That is so insane! I cannot believe the prof did nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickngirl
    That is right at the top of my list w/ "warsh"> as in "warsh my clothes.
    LOL I always think of Snow White and the Seven Drawfs when I hear someone say that!

People who invade my personal space at concerts where we each have our own chair.

First I have her elbow in front of me while she eats her pizza before the concert starts. Then when we all get up during the concert, she halfway in front of my chair, her foot steps on the side of my foot no matter how much I try to pull it away and she keeps hitting my arm with her elbow. At least she stopped doing that when I asked her, but instead she kept "brushing" against my arm.
    Wrigleys Doublemint Gum....double your pleasure, double your fun!

I hate the fact that i have a runny nose and am sneezing like their is no tomorrow.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

I can't stand it when I am ordering food and they give me my drink cup and there is coke or whatever spilled down the side. Either hold it under the nozzle correctly or clean the side of it with a napkin before you hand it to me.....is that really too much to ask?

Closed Thread