Closed Thread

Thread: Pet Peeves

I hate how when you are shopping at a store, other than the grocery store, and they ask for your phone number so they can punch it in to start ringing you up. I got some dishes for my birthday, and when I opened up the box one of the plates were broken. I took them back, and didn't have the reciept, they asked for the phone number of the person who purchased it and was able to bring up the transaction. Is this some type of tracking service? Stores will be able to see your spending habits. Enough of the information needed.
    BTW, I got home with my new plates, opened up the box, and one of those was cracked. Geesh. I basically had to sign over my first child to take back the first box.

Premium Member
    Having my eyes dilated at the eye doctor.

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    Having my eyes dilated at the eye doctor.
    Ooh, yes. And then you go out into the bright sun and it just kills. I also hate the machine that blows into your eyes (yeah, that would not be the technical name).

Syd - I've never had them ask for my phone number when I buy something. Every now and then they ask for my postal code (zip code) which is so that they can see how far the reach of their store is but that's not identifying like a phone number. I wouldn't want to give out my phone number, personally. The only time I've been asked for my phone number (and address) is when I returned something. And then I gave them a fake phone number and address.
    Last edited by CCL; 09-12-2005 at 07:04 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    Stupid, dumb, dangerous, evil lockers. I closed my finger in mine today and I got a bad cut.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by syd18
    I hate how when you are shopping at a store, other than the grocery store, and they ask for your phone number so they can punch it in to start ringing you up. . . . Is this some type of tracking service? Stores will be able to see your spending habits. Enough of the information needed.
    I hate when store employees ask me for my phone number!!!!

I never give it to them -- never!

Instead I to them, with a very straight face, something like, "My phone number's unlisted and I pay extra to keep it that way. I may give it to you, since you asked so nicely, but only if you give me your phone number first. I'll also need your Social Security Number, mother's maiden name, bank account information, and your date of birth. Oh, and while you're at it, why don't you tell me how much you weigh and what your IQ is, too -- that last one should be real easy, since it's only two digits."

(Yeah, I've really said this to store clerks who've asked me for my phone number. It seems to shut them up.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac
    Instead I to them, with a very straight face, something like, "My phone number's unlisted and I pay extra to keep it that way. I may give it to you, since you asked so nicely, but only if you give me your phone number first. I'll also need your Social Security Number, mother's maiden name, bank account information, and your date of birth. Oh, and while you're at it, why don't you tell me how much you weigh and what your IQ is, too -- that last one should be real easy, since it's only two digits."

(Yeah, I've really said this to store clerks who've asked me for my phone number. It seems to shut them up.)
    Hmmm, my pet peeve when I worked in retail is people who took out their frustration on me as if I were the person in the corporate office making 6 figures and deciding asinine things like "hey, let's tick people off by making them give us their phone number before we'll sell them something".

Now, if the clerk won't take no for an answer and is rude, that's a different story! If they won't take a no, I've been known to leave my purchase and shop elsewhere- hit 'em in the pocketbook.

I refuse to give store clerks my number -- or, if I'm feeling weak, I give a fake number -- and they usually accept that. I haven't had them be rude, but I HAVE had a few be at a loss -- they apparently don't know what to hit on their register to bypass that. It irks me that they ask for it at all.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I always give a fake number. What number? 867-5309 They never catch on and I leaving humming a fun tune.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    I always give a fake number. What number? 867-5309 They never catch on and I leaving humming a fun tune.
    Every once in awhile someone at work will page me to that number. It's always good for a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferInCO
    Hmmm, my pet peeve when I worked in retail is people who took out their frustration on me as if I were the person in the corporate office making 6 figures and deciding asinine things like "hey, let's tick people off by making them give us their phone number before we'll sell them something".

Now, if the clerk won't take no for an answer and is rude, that's a different story! If they won't take a no, I've been known to leave my purchase and shop elsewhere- hit 'em in the pocketbook.
    Yeah, sometimes they are only doing as they are told. I have heard people simply say "no" before and they don't press them about it.

I agree it is obnoxious of them to be asking us this though.

Closed Thread