Closed Thread

Thread: Pet Peeves

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2218687;
    It's probably Curtis, he's hiding out from that woman and is afraid to merge into traffic lest she be driving there hunting him.
    Yeah, it probably is! Or that nut that called canuckinchile's husband's cell phone 30x in the same amount of minutes!

The peeve about merging -- it's so dangerous and no matter how careful you are, it's impossible to keep an eye on everyone else. When a person stops suddenly for a reason, you expect that it's because of an emergency. But when idiots just do that 'cause that's how they drive...ARGH! I had taken my mom out shopping and to lunch the other day in the 'burbs and it was just full of people doing illegal things and not seeming to know or care. There were two lanes--one for turning right, the other for turning left. (You couldn't go straight ahead.) I was in the left lane. So the guy in the right lane? Of COURSE he sped up and turned left from the right lane. I thought we were all going to die! Who said the suburbs were more peaceful?!

Thanks for the laundry tips everyone. I actually got it temporarily solved. Went to a neighbors' house (they're away on a trip and we're taking care of their dogs) and used their dryer. I'm sure I looked like a freak carrying over a huge basket of not quite dripping laundry!! Anyhow, I called them first to make sure it'd be OK (which I knew it would be, 'cause they're just that nice), but I'll still leave them some freshly made cookies on the day they're to come home. Their kids will love that! Anyhow, the husband checked the dryer out and he's pretty good at fixing things, but it looks like it's just too old and needs to be replaced. So we'll get that today--Lowe's has the one we want in stock and it matches our new washer (well, not new--we got it a couple years ago).

Regarding the window peeve...when we moved into this house, it had supposedly been previously occupied by an architect and his family. Well, you wouldn't have known it by the shoddy work he had done on the house. Unbelievable! He cut corners everywhere he could. We remodeled most of it ourselves and hired pros to do the harder stuff. We ended up spending a good chunk of money replacing all the windows in the house. I almost hyperventilated at the cost, but I'll tell you, our monthly electric and heating bills are WAY lower than before we replaced them. And we're nice and cool in the summer and warm in the winter months!

And Amy Lee, laugh all you want! I was at first really disturbed by those messages on my parents' cell phone, but then I found it humorous, too. What a nice grandson that kid must've been, huh?!

Talking about bad home repairs...our last house in Canada was a beaut. The guy installed a chair rail in one the bedrooms, and when I removed it to paint and wallpaper, instead of mitering the corners, he had stuffed kleenex in there and gobbed over it with spackle or something. The whole house was like that...for the first 6 months, it was a treat a day.

About merging: people suck here at merging, but the merge lanes are about 2 feet long (really short anyway) and no one lets anyone in. It's cajones out all the way. The merge lanes back up for blocks. Also,they have a beautiful brand spanking new highway after years of crappy roads. No one knows how to use the 3 lanes properly. I don't think I have been on it once without encountering a farm vehicle in the far left lane. They have started giving instructions to keep right on the electronic traffic alert overhead thingees, but I don't know how long it will take for it to sink in. My kids come down and think I drive like a mad woman. When in Rome. I take it down a few notches when I return to Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2218729The peeve about merging -- it's so dangerous and no matter how careful you are, it's impossible to keep an eye on [I
    everyone [/I]else. When a person stops suddenly for a reason, you expect that it's because of an emergency. But when idiots just do that 'cause that's how they drive...ARGH!
    My mother is one of those crazy drivers. She will stop in a merge lane when all she had to do was speed up to fit in traffic. She is a horrible driver, and her mother got hit by a semi once for doing the same thing. He yelled at her and told her not to stop in a merge lane. Of course he was the one that got the ticket. My husband's best friend (the one who's grandfather was a race car driver so their whole family knows how to drive really well) rode with my mom once. I thought he was going to have a heart attack. He still shudders when we bring it up and it was close to 10 years ago now. When my parents were married I only know of 2 times that my dad let her drive and those 2 times-in 20 years-were because he was sick and lying in the backseat.

Peeve for the day: restaurants that don't care if they have good customer service or not. MrC says he will never spend another hard-earned dollar at that restaurant.

I'm guilty of timid merging... sort of fits in with my inability to get on an escalator easily. And yet I was a whiz at double dutch jumprope when I was a kid. Go figure.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    I see your door and raise you a door panel that fell out leaving a 6x10" hole next to the front door. There is currently a pillow stuffed into it because I don't know what else to do and can't afford a handyman at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;2218698;
    I fold
    Attachment 19154

Gut: I'll take your hole by the door and raise with a 65 year old gravity furnace which leaves me with an unheated basement 24/7! Oh, you can hold onto your drafty windows. I have those too!

Anyone have Bob Vila's personal home number? You know, the guy from This Old House? He could fix anything strange.
    Last edited by misskitty; 02-25-2007 at 03:50 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I Is Stephanie
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2219154;
    Anyone have Bob Vila's personal home number? You know, the guy from This Old House? He could fix anything strange.

Keeping in mind that he (and ALL of the This Old House guys) have an unlimited budget, endless amounts of time, and a whole crew helping them....

Peeve: DIY shows that make everything seem easy. Especially Martha Stewart's show, I can't figure out anything that she shows.

Not that I watch Martha... I don't know what ya'll are looking at...
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Ryan Seacrest is my pet peeve. His mouth and what comes out of it annoy me.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

I Is Stephanie
    Ryan Seacrest? Do elaborate, I'm very interested... *leans towards computer screen*
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    HIs stupid line of questioning and his ego. Why they continue giving this man jobs is beyond me. Total bore.

Another thing im going to gripe about is finding bits of dandruff when i thought i'd made sure i was free of it. My hairs dry now so if i scrub now i don't think i'll be helping.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by 11sstephanie;2219183;
    Keeping in mind that he (and ALL of the This Old House guys) have an unlimited budget, endless amounts of time, and a whole crew helping them....
    Aren't you too young to have watched This Old House? Or is it in re-runs now? And yes, hopefully his unlimited budget and time and crew come with him for the experience!

I find Martha Stewart things great if you have an "unlimited budget, endless amounts of time, and a whole crew helping you". She's one smart lady though. Give her that!

And on Ryan Seacrest....blech. Do not see any attraction.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Closed Thread