Closed Thread
Page 10 of 1056 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920601105101010 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet Peeves

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Birthday parties at the office.

Now, don't get me wrong...I'm not like Elaine in that Seinfeld episode. I don't hate b-day parties, I just hate the randomness and inconsistency of them.

For instance for some people we have a cake, sometimes it's a whole event, sometimes there's merely a card, and sometimes there's no acknowledgement whatsoever. I mean, okay for our Sr. VP let's have a cake and we can all suck up.

But for everyone else there should be a monthly cake for ALL October birthdays instead of having a catered lunch for one person that happens to be a friend of the department AA, and then John Smith hasn't even had a birthday in the 5 years I've known him. What is that about?
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Bravo. That does irk me.

Of course, being born right after Christmas opens up a whole other can of Birthday pet peeves worms. Everyone is so burnt out on Christmas that I'm lucky if I get a card.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Miss F.,
    How about the...this is for Christmas AND your birthday! Well, that only flies when it is a washer and dryer from mommy and daddy. I know I should be greatful that I am getting a gift at all, but you know; I have never said this is for C and your B to anyone with a July birthday. How rediculous would that be. I would rather not get a gift at all, or get a card, or get....my absolute favorite gift; something homemade or put together just for me. My favorite birthday gift ever was a compilation CD that Sher gave me a few years ago. It has all the songs we used to sing on roadtrips and a few she just knew I would love. I know it did not cost her much, but the time to put it together. It is priceless to me and I listen to it all the time. She has made me several since then and each is a treat, but the first one meant the most. The thought and feeling put into it meant for than anything. She has never given me a combo C and B gift ever! Gotta Love that Sher!

My honey's birthday is within a couple days of Christmas, so I always make a really big deal about his birthday so he doesn't feel like he has missed out on anything. I can't believe someone would give a combo gift for a July birthday, even if it was the washer/dryer Feifer. It seems like it would be more classy and polite to generously give the birthday gift, and then a heartfelt Merry Christmas message in December. How odd.
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

I know.. it's so rude. I understand money is tight around December, it is for me too, but everyone deserves at least a birthday acknowledgement.

You're lucky to have such a good friend in Sher. For the most part, I have pretty good friends about it. My family does their best, but I will admit, with the exception of my sister who is also a December birthday, they are the worst offenders. I guess they feel they can get away with it.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.

I have a similar problem, although I've always felt bad for those who have birthdays close to gift-giving holidays.

My birthday is this month (October), along with 7 of my other relatives. Apparently January is a cold month

Anyway, there's like a birthday every day of the week of MINE. So, we usually do one big get-together...

Oh well, I guess it could be worse

Zhora,
    I think you misunderstood my post because I was not clear about my birthday. My birthday is a few days past Christmas and I have had the Christmas/Birthday present thingy happen. I was just saying that noone would pull that on a July birthday; so why do it to a Dec birthday? My brother has a bday in August and none of his friends has ever done the combo gift to my knowledge.

I thought that the washer and dryer was a great combo gift. My mom gave me a box with a little metal washer(you know, the hardwear) in a box with the washing machine instructions wrapped in pretty paper and asked me to guess what it was before I opened it. You should have seen her face fall when I guessed it was a washer and dryer. Gotta love that woman.

When if your birthday Feif? Mine is Dec. 28th.

I was kind of skimming this thread and wanted to jump on the 'mourning' pet peeve. My grandfather died and my family is a little complicated. My mother is married to a horrible, horrible man that has treated her bad throughout the years. No one really likes him but my mother and after an on again/off again relationship, she finally married him earlier this year.

In ANY case, my sister and I detest this man and at the funeral he's introducing us to people we already know as his 'daughters'. That drove us crazy and we had to look tacky and correct him. Even though our father died, he's not our father and don't introduce us as such. And we're both in our late 20s, so it's not like he had a hand in raising us. So I suppose my pet peeve is people that are a little too familiar in inappropriate times.

Also, a pet peeve is drama queens. My mother is one. She's one of those people where it's all about her. She can turn me getting a paper cut into how this affects her life.

feif's bday is december 30th, miss f. i woulda let her answer, but she went to have lunch with her hubby.

Same day as my future BIL. He's got it REALLY bad. His parents, his brother, my sister and me all have birthdays in December. And his is the very last. He's the nicest guy and by the time his birthday rolls around, not only is he really, really broke, no one cares.

He and I have had joint parties the past couple years and make a big deal of each other's birthdays. Us Capricorns gotta stick together.

Closed Thread