+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a scam?

Is this a scam?

My husband was replacing his insurance card in his car this morning and discovered that both his old insurance card, and his car registration, were missing from his glove box. He is extremely organized and meticulous about these sort of papers, and so there is no chance that he misplaced them. They are gone. He has a nice car, and frequently valets it. Does anyone know of a scam that involves stolen car insurance and registration papers? Nothing else was missing. Can these be used as the basis for some sort if identity theft? What good are they to a crooked 3rd party?

uh oh

I just found this online:

"To clone your vehicle
    Nowadays, thieves can even steal your car without you knowing it! By removing your owner's registration and insurance card from your vehicle, a thief can use those documents to obtain a license plate registered to you. The thief then steals a vehicle which is identical or similar to yours and counterfeits your vehicle's identification number (known as a VIN) onto it. The result is two vehicles with the same VIN and registration. Naturally, if the stolen vehicle is involved in an accident or used in a crime, the police will think it's yours. Clearing up the confusion can be a lengthy and annoying process. Your best bet: don't keep your registration and insurance cards, or any other pertinent vehicle information, in your vehicle."

I was under the impression you were required to have that information in the car at all times. Aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuPam
    I was under the impression you were required to have that information in the car at all times. Aren't you?
    You certainly are here. I guess you could take them with you when you leave the car like the face plate of a car cd player. Great. :rolleyes Something else to tote around.

You have to have the registration and insurance card in your car here too... I keep mine in a locked glove compartment. (And I am anal about locking it!)

I would call your local police department and ask them about this situation.

Not to alarm you, but the other thing the registration tells them is where you live and if your car is valet'd you're not home...

Most cars (Especially pricier cars) have a "Valet Key" that opens only the door and the ignition. It won't open the glove box or trunk. I would make sure that you're using that key and obviously don't give anyone an entire ring of keys...

Also you should never keep any identifying info loose in your car (mail, old bills... that sort of thing...) Car thieves want that almost as much as they want the car itself... I'm pretty anal about throwing this stuff out too... I have "the Enron of Shredders" in my kitchen and it gets a LOT of use!
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

Is the VIN listed on the insurance papers? I've never noticed. In Tennessee you are also required to keep all the informtion in the car. My glove box is locked, but so is my car. Guess they would find a way.

It's easy to forget, but people have access to our cars all the time--like at the repair shop, valet parking and car washes, for instance.

Like Brodie mentioned, I keep anything with any personal info in my locked glove compartment, and give the valet or whomever the Valet key which starts the ignition but will not open the trunk or glove compartment, which is also safer so you're not always handing over your whole life (like your house key and everything) everytime someone parks your car.

Sad, but you just can't trust anyone these days, and it's best not to leave it to chance.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

But if you use valet service,they have the key and so it won't matter if you lock the glovebox. Pam said that he uses valet service so it must have been in the car.
    I would call the police too.

Echo, what Brodie and I were saying is that many new cars now come with Valet Keys--it is a separate key that will start the ignition & open doors, but NOT open the glove compartment or trunk. So if you keep your info in the glove compartment, it will be safe.
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

He has a valet key and uses it most of the time, but once or twice has given them the regular key. Once or twice too often, I suppose. I never valet my car--I hate it. Six years ago a valet put a big dent in the side of my car. It was really rainy and the car was muddy, so I didn't see it until the next day.

You can't avoid valet in SoCal, MalibuPam (I live in LA), so I can totally empathize with you. I'm sorry about the hassle you & hubby are going through.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast