+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving to Queens

Unfortunately, rent is really not much of an indicator.

Here is though - some apartments list right on their that the accept Section 8 - if they do, move on (don't know where you're at now, but section 8 is the public living assistance program. Not that there's anything wrong iwth it mind you, but those apartments are poorly kept by the landlord on mos toccassions who just want the states money and don't care about anything else)

Now I live in a great area in Manhattan, but pay less then 800, I lucked out with a rent stabilized apartment. While ethnically it is mostly old Irish, there are maybe 50% if that college grads, a lot are cleaning ladies, cops, and firemen. That would be a good indicator - get into a neighborhood with cops! We lost such a high percentage of our residents in 9/11, our area was given a cross made out of the steel girders from the towers.

My #1 suggestion is to get down to Queens, walk through it and decide which areas you like. I literally got my apartment by knocking on every door in the area, because I thought it was great. I finally lucked out. Newspapers seldom work, never do those 'list' things where you pay for a list of apartments, they are all a sham. If you have to go through a realtor, it's expensive but if you can't come down and check out the 'hoods' first, do use one.

Quote Originally Posted by Glitternerfball
    Unfortunately, rent is really not much of an indicator.

Here is though - some apartments list right on their that the accept Section 8 - if they do, move on (don't know where you're at now, but section 8 is the public living assistance program. Not that there's anything wrong iwth it mind you, but those apartments are poorly kept by the landlord on mos toccassions who just want the states money and don't care about anything else)
    Great tip, thanks.

Now I live in a great area in Manhattan, but pay less then 800, I lucked out with a rent stabilized apartment. While ethnically it is mostly old Irish, there are maybe 50% if that college grads, a lot are cleaning ladies, cops, and firemen. That would be a good indicator - get into a neighborhood with cops! We lost such a high percentage of our residents in 9/11, our area was given a cross made out of the steel girders from the towers.
    Okay, so where do cops live in Queens? Your neighbourhood sounds really nice, and what a bargain for an apartment!

My #1 suggestion is to get down to Queens, walk through it and decide which areas you like. I literally got my apartment by knocking on every door in the area, because I thought it was great. I finally lucked out. Newspapers seldom work, never do those 'list' things where you pay for a list of apartments, they are all a sham. If you have to go through a realtor, it's expensive but if you can't come down and check out the 'hoods' first, do use one.
    Oooh, I was considering maybe paying for a list from a website, thanks for steering me clear of that trap. I've looked at http://newyork.craigslist.org/ and they seem to have a lot of apartment where the owner rents out the apartment. I don't want anything with a brokers fee. I've some apartments that I like from a partricular realtor (no brokers fee), so you think it would be a good idea to call them and ask about avalible apartments in August? Most apartments on the list are for right now, but I figure that if I find a company that owns several buildings, they might know of upcoming vacancies. Do you know of any realtors with a good reputation?

Also, I'm not sure I have the right credit history. I've never had any loans of any kind, neither in the US or in other countries (I was raised to not spend money I don't have). And sometimes I'm a couple of days late with bills (I'm an easily distracted scientist, but I'm mostly on time, and never more than a few days late). Will that hurt me? I didn't know that being late on bills might affect my credit rating, until I read about it on the net, I thought it was only about loans, and I never had any. This is the kind of thing that they don't tell you when you move to a new country, this is the sort of thing people just "know", except I didn't.

craigslist is fine, it's the ones you pay for that are not.

another place to look is the Village Voice online, I think it's Tuesday's when they put up the new listings.

I don't know any Queens realtors because I never wanted to deal with one.

I don't know about credit history. MY landlord did do a credit check. I figured because I owe so much in student loans, had bills outstanding in my name because my mother was a creep and would put things in my name without telling me, etc that it would be bad. Apparently it's very good. I don't think paying bills a little late will hurt, I think more then anything not having had a credit card/loan etc would be bad. IF you go to equifax.com you can check for yourself (it's about 12 dollars) to see your credit 'score'. It's also good to know your score so that people can't scam you. (apparently, some companies etc have been saying people have a low credit score to get money up front, or charge a higher rate). If you have a car, then you have insurance which should help. And it can't hurt to call a realtor! Just because the apartments are listed now doesn't always mean an immediate availability! But you want to get in before the college students come to town!

Best of luck!

craigslist is fine, it's the ones you pay for that are not.

another place to look is the Village Voice online, I think it's Tuesday's when they put up the new listings.

I don't know any Queens realtors because I never wanted to deal with one.

I don't know about credit history. MY landlord did do a credit check. I figured because I owe so much in student loans, had bills outstanding in my name because my mother was a creep and would put things in my name without telling me, etc that it would be bad. Apparently it's very good. I don't think paying bills a little late will hurt, I think more then anything not having had a credit card/loan etc would be bad. IF you go to equifax.com you can check for yourself (it's about 12 dollars) to see your credit 'score'. It's also good to know your score so that people can't scam you. (apparently, some companies etc have been saying people have a low credit score to get money up front, or charge a higher rate). If you have a car, then you have insurance which should help. And it can't hurt to call a realtor! Just because the apartments are listed now doesn't always mean an immediate availability! But you want to get in before the college students come to town!

Best of luck!
    Thanks, Glitternerfball. And thanks to the rest of you for helping me out. I feel much more ready to deal with this whole moving thing now. I will check out the Village Voice. Yes, I do have car insurance, so I guess that's good. Actually, I've had a visa card since I was 17 (and I have never overdrawn it, not once), but it's not a US visa card, and it is really a debit card (but I still had to be approved for the visa). Maybe that will help. I could ask them to do an international credit check, but I've heard that is sort of a lengthy procedure.

It is really odd that it's okay to have loans as long as you pay them back, but if you have no loans, your credit rating might be bad because of it!

I think in your case your future landlord should just call your previous landlords to verify that you pay your rent in a timely manner.

Quote Originally Posted by astrogirl_2100
    It is really odd that it's okay to have loans as long as you pay them back, but if you have no loans, your credit rating might be bad because of it!
    This happened to us when we moved here. We had basically no credit history (not bad credit, but just no history),and we ended up paying very high interest rate for our car. You probably should get a US credit card just to start building up your credit, in case you would some day need to buy a house or such. If you are the type that saves first and buys then, you could just save first, pay with the credit card, and immediately pay the whole balance off. That way you would not pay interest, but you would have some (pseudo)proof that you can handle loans.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirlittan
    I think in your case your future landlord should just call your previous landlords to verify that you pay your rent in a timely manner.

This happened to us when we moved here. We had basically no credit history (not bad credit, but just no history),and we ended up paying very high interest rate for our car. You probably should get a US credit card just to start building up your credit, in case you would some day need to buy a house or such. If you are the type that saves first and buys then, you could just save first, pay with the credit card, and immediately pay the whole balance off. That way you would not pay interest, but you would have some (pseudo)proof that you can handle loans.
    But I don't want to do that! I don't want to borrow money from anyone. Maybe this belongs in the obsession thread, but I really hate the idea of loans. I'd take a loan to buy a house, but that's about it. Anyway, credit card companies keep sending me offers for credit cards, but I really really don't want one. It makes be feel like I owe someone money, and I don't like that feeling. I don't want to be in debt to anyone.

I think I'll have to ask for an international credit check. Back home, you don't need to have loans to have good credit, they just look at your spending habits and income.

Hey astrogirl! My husband attended CW Post a number of years ago and he lived out in Long Island. I'll ask him today and let you know his advice. Hold tight, he's at work now.
    I have learned that gifts don't always come wrapped and treasures aren't always buried.
    - Bob Perks

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kaos
    Hey astrogirl! My husband attended CW Post a number of years ago and he lived out in Long Island. I'll ask him today and let you know his advice. Hold tight, he's at work now.
    Cool! Thanks, I appreciate it. I still haven't found a place to live.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12