+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Closed Captioning?

FORT Fogey

Closed Captioning?

A post I made in another thread made me think to ask you others whether or not you ever turn on the "closed captioning" funtion on your TV set.

I had mentioned that I have mine on a lot. Especially on shows like "ER" where lots of action is taking place and numerous people are all taking and shouting at once. I am always afraid i will miss an important part of the dialog.

It also comes in very handy for musical performaces as you can see the lyrics for the songs.

My wife says I am nuts and wonders how I can read the closed captioning and watch the show at the same time.

I do have to turn if off for live events though because they can never keep up and everything is like 5 seconds behind.

Does anyone else like to use the CC?

FORT Fogey
    I do... when I turn on CC, it's the signal for everyone else around me to shut up. I mainly use it when other people are having a conversation in front of the TV while I watch. I also enjoy SAP occassionaly listening in French, or also it will describe everything that happens (Joe gives a look of disgust) That's actually quite humorous.

I hate it...the crappy punctuation and spelling annoy the hell out of me
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

See, the crappy spelling annoys me, because that test to become a closed captioner is SO DARN HARD! I'm a big english buff, studied it in college, going for my masters in English education, and missed the test by 1 POINT! so they don't even continue until you pass. But if you do and get live shows, the pay is phenomenol! Yet, how do people pass that test and then do so crappy on the real thing? even with a cable line I so rarely see anything spelled correctly! I just don't get it.

I tend to not use it, it's just a magnet that draws my attention to it and I do best when not unduly distracted
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by Glitternerfball
    See, the crappy spelling annoys me, because that test to become a closed captioner is SO DARN HARD! I'm a big english buff, studied it in college, going for my masters in English education, and missed the test by 1 POINT! so they don't even continue until you pass. But if you do and get live shows, the pay is phenomenol! Yet, how do people pass that test and then do so crappy on the real thing? even with a cable line I so rarely see anything spelled correctly! I just don't get it.
    Same here..which is why I rarely use it.
    "Someone forgot to drink their courageous juice this morning" from "Psych"

I like using closed caption. I always miss things. And since I'm all about the details, closed captions help a lot.

I'm with Daddio and Mdrio....I use it a lot. I keep it on for shows like ER, and since I have a TiVo-like machine, if I don't understand something that was said, I will rewind, hit the mute button to turn on the captions, and read what they said.

I have actually found several instances of lines that were never spoken on the show. Or sometimes, there are conversations that are kinda background, but the CC shows what the people are saying.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

FORT Fogey
    Ive noticed that too Mrdobolina - cases where whispered, murmured and other non-audible dialong shows-up in the CC. Often times in subtle nuances and as someone mentioned earlier - descriptions of facial expressions.

Also the times when the dialog and the CC dont match word for word. I would guess that in some cases the CC may be based upon a script sent over by the producers and some dialog was changed or improvised in between the writing of the script and the actual airing of the show.

I use it all the time! I love the option.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast