+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Closed Captioning?

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by echo1960
    I use it all the time! I love the option.
    Well, obviously, I use it all the time because I can't hear squat but I sometimes get very frustrated at the delayed receiving of the captions. This is really REALLY annoying on shows like Leno or The Late Show. The second guest could be out chit chatting and I'm still stuck on Leno's monologue!! And, you are right, the spelling is just plain bad sometimes.

When I watch TV at my in-laws house, they refuse to turn captions on so I usually just skip the TV watching and go read. My youngest daugther (normal hearing) uses the captions all the time because she got in the habit of using them. My oldest daughter's husband doesn't like the captions...so I don't watch TV there - and in his defense (I can't believe I'm defending my twit son-in-law ) he has a huge screen and the captioning is pretty darned big. I suppose it's the same proportion to the picture as smaller screens, but the huge screen captioning does look odd.
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

KaiCee, that totally sucks. If you ever want to watch TV at my house, I would put up with the bad spelling and lack of punctuation for you.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    I like captioning, but I have no idea how to turn it on.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Our tv goes to CC automatically when we hit the "mute", which always works great when you're on the phone, or someone else in the room is on the phone, but I don't know how to turn it on while the sound is up? I'm sure I could figure it out if I weren't so busy watching tv, typing at the fort and talking on the phone all at the same time.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Glitternerfball
    See, the crappy spelling annoys me, because that test to become a closed captioner is SO DARN HARD! I'm a big english buff, studied it in college, going for my masters in English education, and missed the test by 1 POINT! so they don't even continue until you pass. But if you do and get live shows, the pay is phenomenol! Yet, how do people pass that test and then do so crappy on the real thing? even with a cable line I so rarely see anything spelled correctly! I just don't get it.

I always wondered whether the closed captioning was actually typed out or if it was done court-reporter-type style. Apparently it's typed letter for letter? Wow! I can't imagine being able to type like that. Considering someone is typing word for word at the speed of speech, they do a pretty good job, I'd say!

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    I have actually found several instances of lines that were never spoken on the show. Or sometimes, there are conversations that are kinda background, but the CC shows what the people are saying
    Yeah, I remember finding a line on "My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance" that they edited out, but it showed up on CC. I also use it when the heads on my VCR are dirty and didn't record the sound very well, I can watch the tape with the CC on.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by averagejane
    KaiCee, that totally sucks. If you ever want to watch TV at my house, I would put up with the bad spelling and lack of punctuation for you.
    Awww, thanks AJ!! Can I adopt you? I'm teaching my grandaughter (4 yr old) to demand that we have "movies with words" when Grammy is there. My grandaughter is really good at demanding

SurvivorGirl and whoever else wants to know how to turn captions on...you hit the menu button on your TV and you should get choices for things like tint, color, language, brightness, etc. One of the choices is CC or Captioning. Always choose "Caption 1" or "CC1" -- it probably has choices for caption 1-4 and text 1-4 but none of those ever work (I'm not sure why there are so many choices...no TV I have ever used worked with anything but CC1).

(These instructions are for American TV's that were made after the Closed Caption Descrambler was mandated by law...older TV's don't alway have CC. In hotels, they have to provide Closed Captions...either with a newer TV or a CC descrambler box).
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

I used to put it on for crappy shows when I was also listening to music. At the same time I also lived next to a street that was a major fire truck/ambulance route so I needed to hit the button if my windows were open.

I used it a few times on Survivor this season, for Tom a couple of times and for a few times when they were whispering.
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

We call them subtitles in the UK. Just type 888 into your remote and there they are. A friend who's son is deaf finds the cable subtitles really useful because they appear when you video shows.

I use CC. There are times when I'm only half interested in a show or when I'm doing something else and simply don't want the noise so I turn CC on. Then there are hard to understand moments that I turn it on for. But a lot of times I use it when I have the tv on for video wallpaper and I've got headphones on listening to music when I'm trying to write (typically have news or something on when I'm doing that) so that if something is going on - I can still follow along.

CC is a great functionality.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast