+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tractor Safety...Children & Tractors Don't Mix

Tractor Safety...Children & Tractors Don't Mix

A terrible thing happened to my family over the weekend.

My 3 year old nephew ran outside to catch up with this grandfather, who was mowing the lawn. As many times as he's been warned about not to do this, he loves his Poppy and getting tractor rides on the John Deere. His grandfather knew no children were in the yard while he was mowing, and had no idea little Petey had run outside. He was backing around a tree as Petey came up behind him, and Petey's mother caught up to him just in thime to pull him out from under the mower deck. This little boy has lost his big toe and the one next to it, broken the bone in the front of his leg, and his ankle was dislocated when my sister pulled him out (avoiding a much bigger tragedy, for certain).

My father is completely devastated over what has happened, my sister and he both blame themselves. Of course this was an accident, and with time everyone will move forward. Petey is young enough that he will recover full use of this foot and leg. We realize how fortunate we are that things didn't turn out worse.

It is our family's hope that by sharing this tragedy with others, we can make sense of what happened and hopefully prevent anyone else from experiencing this horror.

PLEASE, no matter how much they beg, no matter how much they love to chase after lawn mowers and ride on tractors, no matter how cute or sweet it seems, PLEASE do not let children ANYWHERE near tractors. The temporary anger they might feel when you say no is nothing compared to having to explain to a little one that they have lost their little toes, or seeing their grandfather completely broken over having caused their golden child pain.

We were fortunate and will get through this. Please tell your children about little Petey. Make them understand. Their lives might depend on it.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

That is just awful.

When I was in kindergarten I kid in my class lost several toes from a similar incident. Lawn mowers still scare the bejeebers out of me because of it.

OMG, Markslove... to you and your family. Thank God your nephew will be OK.

On a related topic - I saw a little girl on TV who was horribly disfigured after being burned by a fire started from a jerry can of gasoline kept in the family's garage for the lawnmower. KEEP SMALL CHILDREN OUT OF YOUR GARAGE OR TOOLSHED, AND AWAY FROM BARBEQUES. An ounce of prevention...you know the rest.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Awww....Markslove, thank you for sharing that with us. I hope your family recovers fully and fortunately it wasn't any worse. An accident is just an accident...nobody should blame themselves.

Sorry to hear about your nephew, Markslove, and good advice to be heeded by everyone.

There are places that aren't kid-friendly in this world, and hopefully parents make the right decisions on what those places are most of the time.

Sorry to hear about that MarksLove, glad your nephew will be o.k.
    Thanks for sharing the story to make parents (like myself) pay special attention to this.

I hope the family will recover, and know you all will. Being a grandparent I can sure identify with grand dad. He shouldn't feel responsible, but how can he not? Our next door neighbor has ridden his kids on the tractor, while mowing, since they were BORN! I watched him with the little boy between his legs on the seat and the baby girl in one arm, mowing. I offered to watch the kids while he mowed. (Wife at work) "No thanks anyway, they LOVE to ride". We have a little trailer that we pull behind the tractor, no attachments engaged, while one of us rides in the trailer with the grand kid in our lap. That's as daring as we get.

Muduh, that reminds me of the morons around here who take toddlers and little ones on their freakin' snowmobiles in the winter...

rant about to emerge...

now, would any idiot in their right mind take a little kid on a motorcycle, without a helmet, for a ride?!?! No! So how is it okay to do the EXACT same thing, except on a snowmobile?!?! And on terrain covered with friggin' SNOW, so you can't even see if there's anything underneath that could upend the sled?! I've flipped a snowmobile riding alone, my husband flipped one with BOTH of us on it, and a person who was very close to me died as a result of a sled accident (a very experienced rider, too). So WTF?! Grab a brain, people!
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Markslove, thanks for sharing that story in the interest of making parents aware. I hope the little guy has a full and speedy recovery. How hard to see him go through all that.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

AN UPDATE:
    The exact same tractor accident that happened with my nephew happened AGAIN on Friday - a 4 year old boy in a town about 20 miles from here was running to catch up to a lawn tractor (his father was driving, with a 2 yr old on his lap) and the father was backing around, didn;'t see his little boy, and backed over him. Last I heard, the little boy had also lost two toes on his right foot and mangled his little leg. Due to the distance from his home to Albany Medical Center, he needed to be airlifted to the hospital. My family and I are hopeful his recover will go as well as Petey's has been going, and our thoughts are with his family.

Please take extra precautions with little children around tractors. This makes twice within one week this happened (both incidents within 20 miles of each other). We need to get the word out.

(Update of Petey - he is doing pretty well, and in really good spirits. He did ask this weekend when his toes would grow back (borke my sisters heart to have to explain to him again the details). He is in a wheelchair for the time being until the risk of infection is past and they are able to put a hard cast on his leg. Prognosis is good though. They do expect he will be able to walk again, even though his big toe is gone all they way down to the joint (near his arch). It is actually better he is so young when this happened, as his little body will be able to simply overcome the injuries, and although he remembers the incident, he knows it was an accident. He is such a happy strong boy. We are really grateful.

I thank you for all your kind support. People think my FORT "obsession" is all about reality TV, when it actually is about community. You guys are the best.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast