+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Real Estate/Pond Question

Real Estate/Pond Question

I started spring/summer cleaning the goldfish pond we have, and found where our ant problem originates (under the waterfall and pond). So we are now debating whether to get rid of the whole pond and replace it with patio. We thought that since there already is an electrical line, we could put an outlet for laptop there (talk about nerds gardening :p) in the middle of future patio.

Now, we might be moving in a year or two, so I am wondering if a pond is a selling point? Should we keep the pond, do people like to buy a house with pond, or do they look at it as something with too much upkeep? Would people rather see a patio or a pond when they look for a house?
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

I think more people would prefer the patio... I think a pond like that is more of a nitch thing and fewer people will be interested in the upkeep... And the minute you let it go you have an algae laden mosquito magnet... The patio would appeal more to the masses... The outlet is a good idea, maybe you can also incorporate some outdoor lighting, being you have power out there already...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

I'm torn. A water feature is always a nice plus - people don't think of maintenance when they buy a place...

I really like the pond. Of course the waterfall would be a problem for me. The sound of running water always makes me have to "go".

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Ethical question: would you inform the prospective buyers of the ant problem, or let them find out on their own? I'd want to know.

I would say a patio. While a pond is nice, most people would see it as a maintance issue where many people see a patio as an extra dining space.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

It is really a catch-22. If the buyer has kids they may not want to have a pond in fear of them falling in or 'playing' with the fish. If its a couple with no kids or an older kid they may like the pond as a bonus feature.

Those who entertain or have a big family, may really like the extra patio space. I feel that the patio is a win/win situation, while the pond can be a win/lose situation.

Hope that helps!

Thanks everyone for the input. I really like having goldfish in the garden, but I think our pond is more of a problem right now than a pleasure. And I probably would not be able to keep my mouth shut about the ants if/when selling the house, so I really need to get rid of them so I don't need to worry about that. We are leaning towards downsizing it radically, so that we only have a small fountain in the corner of patio. That would give the best of both options w/o much work, and would not be a hazard for kids (and dogs). And hopefully I still get to see birds taking a bath there in the morning
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    I just put in a pond and waterfall because I had one at our old house and missed it. If you have the proper ecological balance (plants/fish/algae) and proper filtration, it means no maintenance and no problem with pests, etc.

Outdoor landscaping sells itself and it's a nice retreat. I would suggest you speak with your local hardware store or landscape company as there are many great products on the market now that are considered "birth control" for ants. It's season long treatment and you only have to do it once. Dig narrow holes to get under the pond if necessary.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

+ Reply to Thread