+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Mariner, I had to laugh at two Starbucks in your building.
    It is pretty funny. They usually just put them kitty corner to each other but we ended up with one on the main lobby level and one a floor down on the plaza level. I did see Joe Montana dressed in a suit getting a cup of coffee at the one on the main lobby level one time.

Jay
    Some people have mentioned roasting their own coffee beans. Where can one buy the beans?

Quote Originally Posted by HomerRules
    Some people have mentioned roasting their own coffee beans. Where can one buy the beans?
    I have bought green coffee beans from both of these suppliers, and been happy with each of them:

www.sweetmarias.com
    www.coffeebeancorral.com

Sweet Maria also sells the stove top popcorn popper, which is my favorite method. I really encourage you to give it a try, even just for the fun of saying you've done it. Seeing the beans go in as hard little green things, and come out a deep, beautiful brown, smelling like you can't imagine, is a such thrill the first time you do it. I'm not even a coffee snob--I'll drink the bottom of a pot 5 hours after brewing--but I love to roast my own when I have a chance. It is also a great way to store your emergency coffee. I know that, heaven forbid, I run out and can't get to the store, I still have a few pounds of green. Green coffee is stored at room temp semi-indefinitely. After a couple years, a refined palate will miss the nuances, but for someone like me who will drink the bottom of the pot lukewarm, I can deal. Home roasting will also open up a whole world of coffee flavors (and I don't mean Hazelnut) that you probably have never noticed, because of either Starbucks et al over-roasting, or just the mass of commercial grade beans mixed in to the good stuff. Both of the companies above have really great cupping reviews of each coffee they sell.
    Last edited by MalibuPam; 05-11-2004 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    The last time I had Seattle's Best it still tasted like Seattle's Best. They also bought Torrefazzione (sp?) at the same time. I think they haven't merged in or changed the two companies' products too much so far. I hope they don't.
    From what I remember from the article (it was a year ago, right?) they bough SBC for the coffee plantations on Vashon Island, and Torre(whatever) for their commercial coffee services.

Give me java or give me death.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood
    Ok, question...what kind of flavor does the oil give it. Are oily beans more rich? I'm just curious...I buy coffee already ground so I have no clue about the beans.
    From what I taste, it tends to have a more balanced flavor, less bitter, more nutty.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    From what I remember from the article (it was a year ago, right?) they bough SBC for the coffee plantations on Vashon Island, and Torre(whatever) for their commercial coffee services.

*sips bad office coffee*

I think that's right. And it was almost exactly a year ago.

Roasting your own coffee... I think that would be the perfect gift for my mother-in-law, she is into that kind of stuff, but I haven't heard her saying anything about roasting coffee beans at home. Sounds very gourmet Thanks for the links MalibuPam, I know now what my mother-in-law will be receiving for next Christmas
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

From what I taste, it tends to have a more balanced flavor, less bitter, more nutty.
    Roasting brings the oils to the surface, as well as carmelizes the sugar in the beans. All beans have oil, but roasting brings the oil to the surface.

The person who wrote that article happens to sit across from me (no lie). Says Starbucks closed down Seattle's Best roasting plant on Vashon, BUT it has promised to keep all roasting recipes, including the delicious Torrefazione, unchanged.

So how many Seattlelites are on this board? Raise your hand.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

And with frappuchinos, you can have both!

I'm not from Seattle, but I've had Seattle's Best and it's amazing. I'm happy to hear that it's not merging completely with Starbucks.

+ Reply to Thread