+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee

Roast it yourself!

OK, coffee snobs, I challenge you. You haven't tasted coffee (or even smelled it) until you roast it, from the green, in your own kitchen and then grind the beans while they are still warm.

I used to roast all my own coffee, until my consumption reached the point (8 cups a day) where I got too lazy to roast it so often. I could only do about half a pound at a time without setting off the smoke detectors, filling the house with the smell of coffee smoke (I say mmm, dh says yuck). But it is so much fun, and so worth it if you don't mind doing it more than once a week.

You can buy roasting machines, or even convert an air-popper to do th job. I found it cheapest and easiest to use the stove-top method. All you need is one of those covered popcorn pots that has a crank handle on top (come on, you must have one in the closet you got for a wedding present.) In a nutshell, you do this (but read the detailed instructions on the website below, if you want to try it):

1. heat the empty pan over medium fire for a few minutes
    2. add the green coffee beans
    3. stir like the dickens for about 4 minutes, until it starts to crackle
    4. keep listening, as the crackle subsides
    5. peek inside the pot as the crackle begins again ("second crack")
    6. smoke will be pouring out at this point, and that is fine--I hope you have the fan on
    7. peek in every 15 seconds or so, until it hits a color you like.
    8. remove from the flame, and run as fast as you can outside with the pan and 2 collanders
    9. dump the hot smoking beans into one collander, and then pour them back and forth between collanders to cool the beans quickly. Chaff will fly away.
    10. peak flavor in 4 to 24 hours, but if you just can't wait, grind some right away and the smell is from heaven.
    11. cool and store in an airtight jar.

If that sounds like something you want to try, please read the detailed instructions here so you don't catch your beans on fire:
    http://www.sweetmarias.com/stovepopmethod.html Sweet Marias sells beans, roasters, and other supplies. Another great source is:
    www.coffeebeancorral.com I use to order from both of these places.

Green beans are really cheap, especially if you buy in bulk (and they come in burlap sacks, how cool is that?) They also have some really funky coffees, like the Indian Monsooned Malabar, which is stored in a warehouse open to the elements during the monsoon season, and they also carry aged coffees like Aged Java. I find those taste very flat alone, but if you mix a handful of aged or monsooned beans, with another kind, you get a complex layering of flavor that is really wonderful. I always had fun blending coffees. I usually had an inventory of abut 10 kinds of beans, and then I would mix and match and see what resulted.

Just writing this has almost inspired me to put in another order for green coffee beans. My husband will die, because he hates coffee and he hates smoke in the house, but I miss the roasting days.
    Last edited by MalibuPam; 05-08-2004 at 12:20 AM.

Sounds good MalibuPam, but I drink coffee because I don't seem to have time for all of that.

I like my coffee dark and strong (but not too strong), with some half and half or milk (no fake creamers or sugar). My brother makes his insanely strong, about twice as strong as recommended. I like tea too and will drink that later in the day when it's not "coffee time" for me. I really shouldn't drink coffee in the morning because of a medication I take, but the day just wouldn't be right without it.
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

Sorry but I can't stand coffee. I only keep it in the house for the odd visitor who doesn't like tea. I drink so much tea, it should be on an intravenous drip.

Jay
    I can't seem to make coffee at home that tastes as good as Second Cup. I buy the same coffee but it doesn't taste the same. Is it the water or the filter? I use tap water and a coffee press. I boil the water before pouring into the press. Maybe that's my mistake. Maybe I shouldn't boil the water because Second Cup doesn't.

I go in coffee spurts, I'd been probably three months without it until this week and now I'm back on atleast 2 cups a day. I have a bit of pickiness in my type of coffee but it's not anything set in stone....I'm quite happy with a cup from 7-11, but I don't care for other convenience store coffee, and I refuse to get it at any form of fast food restaurant. Normally though I'll just grab some at Einstein Bagels (they have a yummy vanilla/hazelnut) or at work (where we sell Seattle's Best brand from my bakery). I guess I'm not overly picky cause I put pretty darned close to half of it being 1/2 and 1/2 and then more than enough sugar for me and somebody else in there, so you don't taste a whole lot of coffee anyways.

Mariner, just a note...I'm not sure if Starbucks and Seattle's Best are all that different since they are the same company. (Starbucks bought SeaBest about 8 months ago) I've often wondered myself if there really was any taste difference, just a difference in packaging

OMG, I was so excited when I seen this thread!
    I love coffee! I drink two to three 12 cup pots a day. I like it black,no sugar or cream for me! I usually grind my own beans right before making a fresh pot and I always use filtered water. I will drink some flavored ones like Frangelica,hazelnut,caramel truffle.
    My nephew used to own a coffee shop in Chicago and he always roasted and flavored his own beans, it was so damn good. He always kept me supplied with lots and lots of coffee beans(Bless his heart). He has now moved here ans is in the process of opening up another shop. I cannot wait!
    I will not drink decaf,it tastes terrible to me. I am one of the lucky ones that can drink coffee right up until bedtime and still sleep like a baby.
    As I type, I am drinking a big mug of french roast. Oh, I also have a huge travel mug that I take with me on the road. Damn, I even bring it in the grocery store with me. My kids used to get so embarrassed.......... My gosh, I think I might be addicted

I don't drink coffee, it tastes bitter (^5Shaz) and burnt to me (with ya there JR) my poision of choice is iced tea.
    I drink iced tea all day every day. LOVE IT
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by HomerRules
    I can't seem to make coffee at home that tastes as good as Second Cup. I buy the same coffee but it doesn't taste the same. Is it the water or the filter? I use tap water and a coffee press. I boil the water before pouring into the press. Maybe that's my mistake. Maybe I shouldn't boil the water because Second Cup doesn't.
    One thing that helps if you have an electric machine is to put half a dozen copper pennies on the hot plate. It keeps it warm for a long time without burning the flavor as much as just leaving the pot on. Alternatively, turn the pot off (but the 2nd cup won't be as hot).

I also used to use a single serving filter that fits right on top of a large mug. The second cup is as good as the first. Those French decanters/coffee press always taste wonderful on the second cup, but is that what you're describing, HR?

Mariner, I had to laugh at two Starbucks in your building.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

The Second Cup is a Canadian Starbucks ripoff
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Those French decanters/coffee press always taste wonderful on the second cup, but is that what you're describing, HR?
    That's right, hepcat. I have a French press.

I know someone who spent almost $200 for a coffee grinder; a true coffee snob.

Reading these postings makes me yearn for a cup of coffee now. Who wants one?
    Last edited by Jay; 05-08-2004 at 05:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread