+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee

We drink coffe only occasionally. We drink Starbuck's decaf. I grind it at home. My grand daughter works at Starbuck's, so she gets it for us.

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Coffee? I used it for strictly medicinal reasons (when I need a jump start in the morning!). I drink anything that's caffinated...Taster's Choice instant is the easiest. I use powdered creamer and sweet'n'low -- it's usually fake cup of coffee for me all the way.

Funny this thread came up though - last night I dragged out my itty bitty one cup Black and Decker coffee maker and went to the store to buy real coffee (as opposed to my usual instant). I bought a flavored kind...Butterscotch Nut, I think. I forgot to make the coffee this morning (I don't touch caffiene anytime after noon) so I will have to try it in the morning.

I really want to love coffee (or tea) but I just haven't ever figured out how to make a cup good enough to fall in love with it. At Starbucks, I can drink the coffee if I have to...but they always have these ridiculously "high-calorie-vanilla-or-caramel-whipped-cream-this-is-gonna-end-up-on-my-hips" concoctions...I have no will power...so, it's "Hips, prepare to expand!"
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by GrammarGoddess
    Oooooo...coffee...one of my favorite subjects. I'm a coffee snob and I make no bones about it.

I can't stand flavored creamers at ALL, but will buy some of flavored beans every now and then. I drink my coffee with 1/2 and 1/2. I can't stand the 1/2 and 1/2 that's out these days that doesn't have to be refrigerated. Most times, it's not even real milk, and when it is, it's got all sorts of chemicals in it. YUCK.

I just want coffee that tastes good. I will never drink instant coffee or Folgers, Maxwell House or any other store brand, even if it is the last coffee on the face of the earth.
    Hey GG. I didn't realize we were both so snobby. (where's that "nose in the air" smilie?)

I prefer the freshly ground French roast, but will drink another dark roast if I have to. And always, always 1/2 and 1/2. Don't try and trick me with your phony "milk" or creamers.

I've never had the powdered crap-type creamers, and hopefully my life never sinks so low that I have to. Also, I've never had instant coffee, and again, hope I never do.

We don't have but a couple of Starbucks in the city that I know of (Dag?), but I live less than a block away from a great coffee house - Salt Lake Roasting Company. I love to have my windows open and smell the delicious odor of roasting beans every day.

mmmm. coffeeee.

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JDHeninger
    Hey GG. I didn't realize we were both so snobby. (where's that "nose in the air" smilie?)

I prefer the freshly ground French roast, but will drink another dark roast if I have to. And always, always 1/2 and 1/2. Don't try and trick me with your phony "milk" or creamers.
    Can anyone tell me the difference between French roast, dark, Kona, etc? I know nothing about this. And how do you store coffee? I've heard the freezer, the refrigerator, under-your-cousins-bed (not really, I was just checking to make sure you were paying attention ) Is it worth it for the occasional drinker to get a coffee grinder and grind there own?

Coffee houses no doubt is where you can get a good cup of coffee (it works for Friends and Frasier anyway)...but that's so expensive. How do you make a good cup at home?
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

Like Shazzer, I had 1 small sip of coffee in my life and that's all. I hate anything with coffee: yogurt, ice cream, cakes etc..., my family has even tried to trick me with cakes that had coffee in them and I still haven't gotten fooled, I taste it right away. No coffee for me EVER!

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiCee
    Can anyone tell me the difference between French roast, dark, Kona, etc? I know nothing about this. And how do you store coffee? I've heard the freezer, the refrigerator, under-your-cousins-bed (not really, I was just checking to make sure you were paying attention ) Is it worth it for the occasional drinker to get a coffee grinder and grind there own?

Coffee houses no doubt is where you can get a good cup of coffee (it works for Friends and Frasier anyway)...but that's so expensive. How do you make a good cup at home?

I'm paying attention! And it's not coffee that's stored under my cousin's bed. I buy my beans frequently (i.e., every couple of days), and of course I don't buy much, since it's just for me. I keep them in a tight container, sometimes in the refrigerator, sometimes on the counter. And it's definitely worth it to grind your own beans. You'll be surprised at the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiCee

Common myth is to store coffee in the freezer, but the cold is too harsh. It's best to store it in the fridge in an airtight container. It's always worth it to grind your own, but if you're not used to doing it, play around with the size of the grind until you find what you like. It's best to grind the beans just before you use them.

To make a good cup, always start with cold water. I'm assuming you're using a drip coffee maker? I use 1 tablespoon of coffee per cup. I have a plated-metal filter, though most people use paper filters. I don't like the white bleached kind - if I'm going to use paper filters, I buy unbleached brown ones. There are lots of types of coffee makers - if I'm using a drip machine, I like a cone-shaped filter, since the water comes into contact w/ more of the coffee. My favorite way to make coffee is a French press.

Once the coffee is made, keep the pot capped. Air ruins the taste of coffee, as does excess heat and time on a burner.

As far as the difference between French roast, Kona, et cetera: French roast is the level to which the beans are roasted. Coffee beans are green until you roast them. French and Italian roasts are very dark roasts that bring the oils to the surface of the beans. Most places that sell whole beans will give a description and let you know if they are dark, medium or light roast. Beans are often named for where or how they are grown - Guatamalan, Colombian, Nigerian, Kona, shade grown, organic, Arabica, etc. Then there's the whole issue of decaf. Most coffees are decaffeinated with chemicals. Water-decaffeinated is more expensive, but the caffeine is removed with water, not chemicals.

Some people analyze and taste coffee the way other people analyze and taste wine...lol.
    Last edited by G.G.; 05-07-2004 at 09:45 PM.

I live in Seattle and actually work in a building that has not one but two Starbucks in it. If I didn't drink coffee, I would be booted out of the city if anyone learned the truth. I have finally broken my daily latte habit (my bank account is grateful). I like Seattle's Best Coffee and Tully's better than Starbucks and prefer french roast. And, if you like coffee ice cream, Starbucks coffee ice cream is out of this world.

I LOVE Coffee..in fact I don't function in the morning until I have it. Mine has to be regular with cream and sugar. Starbucks is okay..I prefer their frappacunio. Actually, McDonald's has pretty good coffee as well. But the best coffee by far is Tim Hortons..which are mostly in Canada and here in Western NY. Their coffee is outstanding and its always piping hot..good donuts as well.
    "Someone forgot to drink their courageous juice this morning" from "Psych"

Absolutely the best coffee anywhere: Peet's. http://www.peets.com/shop/shop.asp

I was in a Peet's once while a coffee class was being given, so naturally I enjoyed a cup and eavesdropped. The instructor said that "arabica" beans are the crappiest beans in the coffee business. Apparently, they were just considered chaff until someone decided to market them as a specialty line; before that they were thrown out. When you taste a McDonald's 100% arabica cup of coffee you can see what the teacher meant.

Kaicee - did you know Starbuck's has sugar-free vanilla syrup? I don't know what it is nutritionally but let me warn you - yumalicious.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread