+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Coffee

FORT Fogey
    I like my coffee, but I'm a bit of a fan of what's easy 'cause I live with The Pomeranians and none of them knows how to brew a cup of coffee for me.

What works out to be easiest for me is to buy pound-sized bags of Dunkin' Donuts coffee, and that's because I almost never drive during the week -- I walk to my train, to my office, etc.

I pass by many Dunkin' Donuts shops during my daily walks, so I pick up ground or whole bean coffee there.

I have a coffee grinder and if I'm feeling ambitious I'll use the whole bean stuff. I go through the ground stuff quickly enough, though, that I don't really notice a difference 'cause the ground coffee doesn't have time to get stale.

I use Dunkin's for a couple of reasons: (1) I love it; it's not too strong and not too weak; and (2) it's very easy to get, 'cause I'm always walking by the shops.

As a backup I also keep: (1) a big jar of Maxwell House instant coffee on hand and (2) a small, emergency-replacement size jar of Maxwell House instant on hand.

I started drinking Maxwell House instant coffee in third grade, so it has a lot of sentimental value to me and I'm very used to it.

I have fond memories of some early-morning breakfast chats with my mother in those days: ". . . I need another cuppacoffee please, Mah, 'cause we're having a phonics test today!!!"

I use maxwell house, alterra or starbucks at home, Torke at work.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    I am hooked on Starbucks, french roast, whole bean. I buy it at Costco ($18.00 for a 2 lb. bag) and grind it myself. When I've run out, I've bought the cheaper brands, but it just isn't the same. Since it is Christmastime, and I refuse to go to Costco, I picked up a bag of Peets. Haven't tried it yet, but hear it's good.
    When make a pot, I use a scoop and 1/4 for about two cups. I like a good kick in the pants when I drink coffee.
    You sound like me. I like mine to have a strong kick to it, as well. None of that weak stuff. Might as well drink tea.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac View Post
    I started drinking Maxwell House instant coffee in third grade, so it has a lot of sentimental value to me and I'm very used to it.
    Third grade? OK, that explains a lot.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Have you ever tried Gevalia coffee? It's imported from Sweden and is/was their official coffee for the Royal Family there. It's imported from DesMoines in the US. You can order whole bean or ground, high test or decaf, tea, etc. The first time you sign up, it's regular delivery type of thing, you get a free coffeemaker. (nothing amazing). And they only send you the small one if you live north of the border.
    I can't believe you get Gevalia over there! It's the best-selling coffee brand in Sweden, but I've never been a big fan, personally. I much prefer the richer, darker stuff, especially French Roast, and Gevalia tastes a bit too bland for me. But it's still cool to know that somewhere in DesMoines, Iowa, people are drinking Gevalia

I'm thinking about getting a coffee grinder, by the way, so that I can get freshly-ground coffee each morning. It takes a bit longer to get the coffee ready, but the smell from the coffee beans is absolutely divine. Any coffee DIY fans out there?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I was interested to see what I'd posted in this thread, but I never posted in it. Interesting.

Drinking coffee was almost as much of the social scene at my college as drinking alcohol. I used to hang out in coffee houses all the time, drinking specialty coffees and smoking cigarettes. I'd work crossword puzzles or read while listening to bad poetry readings or decent bands. Not a bad way to spend an evening, actually.

I also owned a cappuccino/expresso maker when I was in college. I spent a good amount of time practicing how to get my foam just right and what syrups I enjoyed the most.

When I started working in restaurants and hotels, I worked crazy hours. Swing shifts, graveyard shifts, and early morning shifts all took their toll in one way or another. I went from being a coffee snob to drinking just plain coffee. Either black or with two creamers.

When I got pregnant, I quit all caffeine, so no coffee for me. Which was just as well because I also quit smoking and could barely fathom a cup of coffee without a cigarette.

Now, I've just started drinking coffee again over the last year or so. I drink an instant cappuccino once or twice a day. Not glamorous and not the best tasting coffee in the world, but I don't have to leave the house for it and I don't have to spend ten minutes making it. I still love to get a yummy cappuccino with lots of whipped cream whenever I'm out and about, but now instant is fine for every day.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Have any of you used those coffee bags that look like a tea bag? You dunk them in really hot water in your mug, and it does amazingly make a pretty good cup of . Maxwell House and Folgers make them.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

I have my morning Tim Horton's Coffee - large, double double... I can walk there in less than 2 minutes so I have Tim Horton's every day. In April when I move, I'll be cutting back on my expenses, and will have to brew myself my Tim's everyday instead of getting it at the shop.

Buffy: What is this?
    Willow: A doodle. I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too. ("Gingerbread")

Xander: Damn it! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey! ("Buffy vs. Dracula")

MRD
    Did any of you see the segment on yesterday's Today show about the restaurant in Turin that serves the coffee chocolate drink? They've been making it for 200 years or something. A LONG time anyway.
    They use a stemmed glass and pour in strong coffee, next comes a rich liquid chocolate that cooks for 4 hours, then heavy chream is poured on top.
    They described it as decadent and that the line at this little place has been stretching around the block since the Olympics started.

I was ready to board a plane after watching that.

I LOVE coffee (hate starbucks or 4 bucks as I call it. Their coffee doesn't agree with me at all, upsets my stomach for some reason).

I love Barnies coffee, especially Santa's White Christmas flavor.

I used to drink a lot of coffee, but it tends to upset my stomach now for some reason, so have had to cut back. But I used to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my hot, creamy, sweet coffee. (I actually think I pour a little coffee into my half and half and splenda instead of the other way around).
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I was ready to board a plane after watching that.
    Dear god, I'd go with you. That sounds divine.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread