+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Firewalls / PC Security

Jay

Firewalls / PC Security

I just recently downloaded the free firewall from Zone Alarms. Does anyone know if there is a better (and free, of course) one out there?

I try to maximize the protection of my PC. I downloaded all the critical fixes and service packs for Windows XP. I also have Norton AntiVirus which is updated automatically. I don't open email from senders I don't recognize.

Any other hints/advice for anyone who wants to surf/compute safely?

Sure, although I also use ZoneAlarm.

There are two other free utilities I use regularly that help quite a bit. The first is called EasyCleaner, and it cleans up unneeded files, and unneeded registry entries. You don't need to do anything but run the portion of the utility you want (in other words, you don't have to edit the registry yourself). I've been using this for about a year, it works well. You can fidn it here:

http://www.toniarts.com/products.php...d3c2a00ebe84b8

The second is SpyBot Search and Destroy. This will find spyware on your computer. I have found it to be much more thorough than AdAware. Again, you don't have to know much, just download the updates and run the program. You can find it here:

http://spybot.safer-networking.de/

In the case of SpyBot, you can also download it from CNet's Download.com
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

If you are using xp, you might want to wait, just a little while longer. XP sp2 really upgrades the ICF (internet connection Firewall) built into the OS. It is also made quite customizable.

I've messed with the beta, and it works quite well, Almost as well as my hardware firewall at my office.

I never liked Zonealarm as it would constantly bother me for every application under the sun.

as for surfing safely, I reccommend both Spyware search and destroy (as previously mentioned) and Adaware.

I would also invest in decent Anti-virus (with pop3 support) so that you don't have to deal with viruses (even in email). But don't forget to upgrade (every week).

Finally, and this isn't purely security, but I'd look into a decent spam filter.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

OK, I know there has been many discussions on this, but I couldn't find the one I was looking for. My AntiVirus protection is about to expire. I have been using (paid for) The Sheild AntiVirus 2006. Not happy with it. I want to go back to using a Free Antivirus. Can ya'll give me your input on the FREE services that you use? I have 30 days to try new services before mine expires. I have Xoft spyware and have been very happy with it, so this just needs to be a Virus Protection software. Thanks Ya'll!
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Leo
    Premium Member
    The free antivirus I recommend is AVG Free (http://free.grisoft.com/). It's what I use, and it works very well. My advice though, is to make sure you remove your old antivirus before installing AVG. Having two antivirus programs installed, even if you're only using one, is a bad idea.

I agree AVG is good. I also use zone alarms...just click not to be asked again, and in a day or two the pop up windows stop when applications are authorized. I don't know much about computers, but I have one downstairs with windows xp and I was under the impression that it has a firewall built in? Upstairs I use zone alarm because I am using windows 2000. Also, I found out that using more than one antivirus protector can make your hard drive unstable...so don't do it!!

I found a great site for computer dummies (like me!) is: www.komado.com. There are a lot of free downloads recommended that have been reviewed.

Leo
    Premium Member
    An Windows XP install will have a built-in firewall if it's been updated to Service Pack 2. It's an okay firewall - not the most sophisticated or best one by any means, but in a pinch it'll do.

Thank you! I was thinking it was AVG, but wasn't sure. My system is Windows XP media package. I have heard that more than one antivirus program is bad. So thank you, that confirms that also.

I didn't want to pay for another program. I am horrible about remembering to update, so I thought I would pay for one that did the updates on it's own. I think in the year I had The Sheild, it updated 4 times by itself. The rest of the time I had to do it. The other problem was, if any glitch happened, I had to reinstall the whole program and then reinstall all the updates. That happened 3 times.

Thanks to all!

Canuckinchile, the link didn't work for me. Brought up a web site for transfering home videos.
    Last edited by Melitta; 02-05-2007 at 02:00 PM.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Oops, sorry: www.komando.com. I left out the n. I haven't visited the site for a while, but I now see she is charging for some some stuff that used to be free. Man, they always do that.

+ Reply to Thread