+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please, somebody tell me why Seattle is better than Malibu

Please, somebody tell me why Seattle is better than Malibu

OK, a head-hunter for a company in the Seattle area called my husband a few weeks ago and enticed him to interview for a job. It comes at a perfect time for us, because he is at a career crossroads and we need money! He's had 2 phone interviews so far, and they are flying him up to Seattle to interview next week. Every night at dinner, we look at each other and say, would we really do this? We have it good here. Malibu . . . ocean view, beach club, beautiful weather, friends, family, 4 kids established at their schools. We are both from the LA area, and have roots going back more than 100 years here (though I lived in NY for college and MD for grad school; husband has never lived outside the LA area). Are we nuts to leave all this?

On the other hand, we get ants like you would not believe in the summer time. My dog got skunked last night. A few weeks ago I saw a rattlesnake. Pacific Coast Hwy is dangerous when the beach-goers start pulling u-turns, I'm afraid to teach my son to drive here. We could live in a spankin' new custom palace in the Seattle suburbs for what we pay here.

We don't know about the compenstation package yet. If it is unbelievable, then we will take it. If it stinks, we won't. But if it is borderline, somebody please tell me in what ways Seattle beats Malibu. To be specific, Seattle-East, the Bellevue-Redmond area is where we'd be headed. All thoughts welcomed ! Please! I'm in turmoil over this, especially when it comes to uprooting the kids (ages 10, 9, 6, and 4).

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    #1 Reason Seattle is better than Malibu: no sunburn. Ever!

Seattle has all kinds of weather. It gets to be hot in the summer there too. Its a really nice and friendly area. I have been there many times and love it. I have been to Malibu too and it would be very hard for me to move from there but Seattle is a great city and if they had an NHL team I would move there if I got a good job oppurtunity. :p

Just remember that once you leave California it's really hard to come back due to pricing out here compared to other states...that is a fact. Yes you will get a palace in Seattle for what you get for your house out here, but the same isn't the fact if you'd ever want to move back.

I lived 1 year in Sequim which is outside Seattle, & I LOVE Washington state. It's beautiful, green and all that, people are nice... but ... now that I've lived in California for 6 years I don't think I'll ever leave There are a lot of things you take for granted when you live here, the sunburn isn't that bad, it is nice to have warm weather most of the year.... the cultural variety, the food ... I love California

Seattle is nice though, it would definitely be my second choice, it's beautiful out there, it doesn't rain all the time like people say, there was plenty of sunshine.

Good luck with your decision, I know its a tough one to make.
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

I never have been to Malibu, but I love Seattle and the surrounding area. There are so many nice cities close by (Vancouver, Victoria, Portland) if you like short trips, downtown Seattle is great for culture, arts, shopping or just wandering aimlessly, mountains are close if you like to hike or such. People are very easy going, there is just a great atmosphere about the city, and it's beautiful and rather clean. Public transportation is great from what I remember. I can't think of anything negative to say about Seattle.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

So, how does one go about selling a Monster House?
    ugh. I don't get time to watch TV anymore, much less hang out at the FORT.

But don't you worry, I'll be back in full force on or about November 3rd.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenders
    One calls Monster Realty.

One has a lot of explaining to do about the exact purpose of the periscope in the living room.

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuPam
    One has a lot of explaining to do about the exact purpose of the periscope in the living room.

Wouldn't your house be more marketable cause it's been on TV? Maybe that's just wishful thinking...
    ugh. I don't get time to watch TV anymore, much less hang out at the FORT.

But don't you worry, I'll be back in full force on or about November 3rd.

Wouldn't your house be more marketable cause it's been on TV? Maybe that's just wishful thinking...
    The last thing I want to do is show them the tape where one of the welders says, "normally a job like this would take 6 weeks, but we'll get it done in 5 days."

It's possible we could figure a way to keep the house and rent it out, then do some creative financing to buy something less palatial but still decent up there. That way, we could return to California someday and not be priced out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast