+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please, somebody tell me why Seattle is better than Malibu

Quote Originally Posted by MHayes62
    This is by far the longest post I have ever written at the Fort, but I am very passionate about where I live. If you have any specific questions Pam, please feel free to PM me. I have lived on the east side for many years, and would be more than happy to let you know about this wonderful area.
    Thanks so much for taking the time, MHayes. I really appreciate it. Here's a gardening question, if you can't answer maybe someone else knows. I have an MS in Horticulture (don't ask why, I was young when I got that notion), and what frustrates me most about Malibu is that if I plant it, an animal eats it. We have a major issue with ground squirrels, rabbits, gophers, and deer in Malibu. I planted 40 bareroot fruit trees on our 3 acres, our first year, then sat back and watched the devastation. If they didn't eat the roots, they ate the irrigating hoses. The deer ate all my tomatoes. The rabbits at all the rest (in spite of rabbit fencing.) I gave up. In the Bellevue/Redmond area, would I expect to have deal with these things also? Does the garden even need basic irrigation?

Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    4. As many have said, Choose where you live based on your job, not the other way around. (I live on Bainbridge Island).
    Someone on another board told me I seemed like a person who would enjoy Bainbridge. I looked it up online and it seemed wonderful. I can't imagine a cooler way to get to work than by ferry. I wish the job was in downtown Seattle, but I'm afraid its just far enough to make the ferry a hassle instead

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuPam
    Thanks so much for taking the time, MHayes. I really appreciate it. Here's a gardening question, if you can't answer maybe someone else knows. I have an MS in Horticulture (don't ask why, I was young when I got that notion), and what frustrates me most about Malibu is that if I plant it, an animal eats it. We have a major issue with ground squirrels, rabbits, gophers, and deer in Malibu. I planted 40 bareroot fruit trees on our 3 acres, our first year, then sat back and watched the devastation. If they didn't eat the roots, they ate the irrigating hoses. The deer ate all my tomatoes. The rabbits at all the rest (in spite of rabbit fencing.) I gave up. In the Bellevue/Redmond area, would I expect to have deal with these things also? Does the garden even need basic irrigation?
    I have some friends with absolutely wonderful gardens. They had to do a decent amount of work to get the soil to the exact specification they wanted but that was it. Neither have anything more than soaker hoses for irrigation. The climate here keeps things pretty well watered.

Now my in laws do have a problem with deer, there are some in the greenbelt near their house. They just put nets over new plants and that seems to work for them. They also nailed bars of Irish Spring soap sticks then stuck those in the ground. I have no idea what it is supposed to do, i guess the deer are terrified of either cleanliness or the Irish, but my in-laws tell me it keeps the deer away.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

Someone on another board told me I seemed like a person who would enjoy Bainbridge. I looked it up online and it seemed wonderful. I can't imagine a cooler way to get to work than by ferry. I wish the job was in downtown Seattle, but I'm afraid its just far enough to make the ferry a hassle instead
    Bainbridge is gorgeous. My family and I hop on the ferry every couple of months and go out there to visit friends. The nice thing about the Puget Sound area is all these things are so close. 15 minutes to downtown Seattle, a picturesque ferry ride later, and you are there. Or better yet, make friends with someone who owns a boat. You don't need a boat, you need friends with boats. Thatís my motto
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

Pam -
    My best friend moved to Seattle about 20 years ago and LOVES it. I love it when I visit too, and I live in New Mexico so the climate is very different. I think that I would personally have difficulty during the extended periods of cloudiness, but I've always had several days of sun when visiting. It is such a beautiful area and there is lots of good cultural stuff, especially music and theatre. My friend is a very successful actor there and I get to see lots of shows, and it's so nice to see the community support local theatre.

Kevin lives on Vashon Island which is near Bainbridge. It's so fun to ride the ferry back and forth, although you have to schedule your whole life around the ferry schedules. When we're on Vashon it's like being way out in the country - sleepy little cafes, small art galleries, lots of empty land. I think I'd love living there, but it would be very, very different from Malibu. You should definitely take the family up for a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by MollyRose
    Kevin lives on Vashon Island which is near Bainbridge. It's so fun to ride the ferry back and forth, although you have to schedule your whole life around the ferry schedules. When we're on Vashon it's like being way out in the country - sleepy little cafes, small art galleries, lots of empty land. I think I'd love living there, but it would be very, very different from Malibu. You should definitely take the family up for a visit.
    I just looked up Vaschon Island real estate and found 2 of the most beautiful places a person could ever want. One has 26 acres with an asian pear orchard and a pond; another has 188 feet of sandy beach and a gazebo at the water's edge. Again, probably too far from Bellevue/Redmond, but what a lovely looking place to call home.

Bellevue and the outlying towns around it (redmond, Kirkland, Issaquah, Medina) are also quite nice (I was just passing through the area not 20 minutes ago). You have Lake Washington which becomes a fun place to spend time (not that I spend much time on the East Side myself).

No, Basic irrigation is something I would definately say is not needed. Really, only in the dog days of summer when it hasn't rained in a month is it only neccesary to water at all. (actually, my problem is more of the opposite: Moss in my lawn, or by the size of it, more like lawn in my moss).

If you like the Multicultural aspects of food, Bellevue and the surrounding areas are great (well, except for the latin cusines, which aren't represented well, IMHO).

The problems I have in my garden mostly concern racoons and Deer, but predator spoor tends to do much to keep them away. I'm also told Hair Mats do similar things.

Horticulturally, the Puget sound area is called a Modified Mediterranean climate, simply because it doesn't get real hot or real cold, and its moist most of the time.

As for Vashon, well I'd say the one thing that keeps people away from it is that there is no way onto the island without a boat. I believe there is a foot ferry to Downtown seattle, and a car ferry to West Seattle (which is really in the southwest of the city, and not in the downtown).

And yes, the cliche about starbucks and Seattle is true.... there really is like 2 coffee shops on every street here.

And do I need to even say this? I love being on B.I. Even if taking the ferry is a little slow and expensive. It gives me a chance to unwind before i get home.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

More help needed!

Chris (my husband) got the email this afternoon that they want to interview him on Friday in Redmond. He is flying up Thurs (5-6) late afternoon, and staying 2 nights. He will be busy all day Friday, but he'll have all day Saturday free, since he's taking a 6:30 PM Saturday flight home.

He asked me to help him figure out where to go in his free time, to get a good feel for the area. So, I ask you, FORT Seattle-area experts--Where, within 20 miles of the Bellevue/Redmond, would you suggest? He doesn't need to see any museums or cultural stuff. Just the basics of life--cute towns, pretty waterfronts, maybe a good restaurant area for dinner. He'll have a rental car. Thanks!

Maybe he could check out the local school district as well?

I love moving so I'm biased in telling you to go for it. Did you ask yourself if you would ever regret not moving? Hope everything works out for you in what ever decision is made. You can't go wrong with either choice.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Chris (my husband) got the email this afternoon that they want to interview him on Friday in Redmond. He is flying up Thurs (5-6) late afternoon, and staying 2 nights. He will be busy all day Friday, but he'll have all day Saturday free, since he's taking a 6:30 PM Saturday flight home.

He asked me to help him figure out where to go in his free time, to get a good feel for the area. So, I ask you, FORT Seattle-area experts--Where, within 20 miles of the Bellevue/Redmond, would you suggest? He doesn't need to see any museums or cultural stuff. Just the basics of life--cute towns, pretty waterfronts, maybe a good restaurant area for dinner. He'll have a rental car. Thanks!
    Pam,
    For me, that is an easy one. If you want to check out a nice area that is near the Bellevue Redmond area, go to Kirklandís waterfront. Here are the directions. On the main freeway (I-405, this is the one that runs north south, the non bridge one) take the Kirkland/Redmond exit (Exit 18 I think), and go West towards Kirkland. This puts you on Central I think. Take this street to the waterfront. Park. And walk around. I love Kirkland. It is a very nice area, with a quaint downtown. It reminds me a bit of Sausalito in the bay area. Restaurants around there are plentiful, and it is right on lake Washington. Personally I like Cactus for a casual tex-mex, or across the street is Ristorante Paradiso for a nice Italian. 21 Central Steakhouse is an incredible high end steak house if you love a good steak, and the coffee is to die for there. Itís address is 21 Central Wy Kirkland, WA 98033. Even if your husband doesnít want to eat there, it is a great place to start a walking tour of Kirkland, and he can Map Quest directions from his interview, or hotel. If he likes beer, i would also recomend a visit to one of our many, many brew pubs out here. Redmond is home to imho one of the best beers in the world with Mac and Jacks African Amber, found only on tap at local northwest establishments.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast