+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please, somebody tell me why Seattle is better than Malibu

Pam, I was thinking you could give DVD's of the episode to your realtor, but then I realized "no, she probably won't want that, given what they had to do."

Seattle has a lot of different weather, from what I hear. Cold and wet, cool and wet, foggy and wet, and warmish and wet.

Pam, not sure if you grew up in California, but a couple of my Santa Barbara friends moved up there for jobs after college. Only one is still there (out of four). The other three came back to California when opportunities arose. Everyone agrees the people, the atmosphere, the city are great but these California kids really never got used to the weather. They were starved for sunshine. One of my friends talks about how if a sunny day hit he would call in sick to work because it was rare. Just a thought - good luck with your decision.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Pam,
    I live in the Bellevue-Redmond area, I have also lived in southern California, and here are my thoughts. Personally i would never move back to SC. I love the Seattle area, and in particular the east side. I would never say that Seattle is better than SC, because that is entirely a matter of personal preference. I really enjoy the scenic beauty of western Washington, there are mountain and lake views everywhere. There are lots of outdoor things to do around here, like hiking, biking, skiing, mountain climbing, kayaking. Although it does not have the culture that southern cal has, there are still many great festivals, concerts, and museums in the area. If you like sports it has the Sonics, Seahawks and of course my beloved Mariners. Above all else, the thing that I enjoy most about the Seattle area is the people. I am most likely biased, but from my experience from the places Iíve lived and all my travels I truly believe Seattle has some of the nicest people in all of the US. It is also a great place to raise a family, with a very very good school system.

A common misconception of the Seattle area is that it rains all the time here. It doesn't. I don't even own an umbrella. The problem is from November to May it is grey and cloudy. Sunshine is a very rare thing for 7 to 8 months a year. It doesn't rain constantly for those months. It is just not sunny at all. Although we get our downpours, it is also very common to have it "mist" for days on end. I have several friends that have moved back to where they came from, because they couldn't stand the constant grayness of the winters here. Some people adapt, and thrive. Others wilt. Once you get used to it, many actually find they love the weather here. For example, this weekend it was 70 degrees and sunny all weekend. Because we have spent the past 7 months in grey, EVERYONE was out smiling, laughing and enjoying the sunshine. In SC you walk out the door and say, oh itís another beautiful day again. Here if it is sunny, you make the most of it, and truly enjoy the weather. For many years I drove a convertible and I would have people ask why I own a rag top in Seattle. The answer is, when the sun comes out I want to enjoy it completely. The weather is very mild here. Summer is in the 80's with a few days in the 90's. Winter is in the 40's with a few days of snow almost every year. Just long enough to freak everyone out, and give the kids a couple days off from school. Then 1-5 days later it is all melted. We don't have tornados or hurricanes. There is the occasional earth quake, but being from SC, you are used to that. No one I know of has problems with mosquitoes, ants, snakes, grasshoppers or any other pests.
    It is a very pleasant place to live.

One note on choosing a place to live around the Seattle area. Do some research first. I know several people who when moving from California, bought houses in the outskirts of the suburbs, because it was still just a 45 minute drive to work in the morning, and they were used to over an hour commute where they were from. Many of them are disappointed in their decision. They did get a nicer house by living out there, but there are definitely advantages to a 10-20 minute commute, which is not uncommon at all on the east side. I personally have an 8 minute commute home. It is a great thing to be able to leave work at 5:15 and still make my sonís 5:30 soccer practice.
    This is by far the longest post I have ever written at the Fort, but I am very passionate about where I live. If you have any specific questions Pam, please feel free to PM me. I have lived on the east side for many years, and would be more than happy to let you know about this wonderful area.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Pam.. go there . Make some time for the whole family to go to Seattle (or wherever you "might" be headed to) and spend the weekend. Don't make it a "vacation" visit...make it a "what-does-everyone-think-about-Seattle-lifestyle?" weekend!

All winter long my gf and I had convinced ourselves that we were moving to Lake Tahoe. We've been there before, but never thought of living there. Talked with people who live there, had stuff/info faxed to us regarding things...etc.. So yeah...we knew what it was like in L. Tahoe...but we were never there with the mindset of LIVING THERE.
    So..March 20th or so..we went there for 3 days. Needless to say...we haven't moved yet, but when/if we do..it's not gonna be there. That's only a place (for us) to "visit".
    Even with all the "info" friends/people/articles/etc told us about it, nothing really helped us, except when we actually went there to investigate.

Now we need to find somewhere else we might wanna move to.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck and I wish you and the family the best!! Oh..I have an idea, tell the "prospective owners" that you'll throw in a 250 gallon fish tank as an "added bonus"!!
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Ok, For what its worth, I am a fairly recent Transplant to the Seattle Area, Originally hailing from New York City.

AS others have said here, there are some misconceptions about Seattle.
    1. It rains often here, but when it does, it rarely rains hard.
    2. By and large, I have found Seattlites to be rather polite.
    3. Like much of the West Coast, Seattle is a Car-based transportation infrastructure.
    4. As many have said, Choose where you live based on your job, not the other way around. (I live on Bainbridge Island).
    5. If you like Seafood, particularly Tuna and Salmon, you have come to the right place.
    6. If you like to sunbathe or swim, likely you will not enjoy Seattle. Although we haev some nice months without rain in the summer, the water stays cold. And surfing is certainly out on Puget Sound, which tends to be calm south of everett.

One thing: People in Seattle complain about a 45 minute commute. They don't really know what a bad commute is (think 2 hours in a place like NYC).

On the plus side: you don't have much of a winter here (despite how close you are to Canada)
    On the Minus: you don't have much of a summer either.

Overall, it makes clothing choices easy.

As for the Kids, there are some great school districts here, and the dub is a great public university.

A few other things. There are no poisonous snakes in washington state.
    You gotta like moss.... a lot. It grows everywhere, and when mixed with .... I forget, becomes lichen.

Also, on a clear day, you have the best views anywhere. When i get my coffee and paper and get on the ferry and you can see Mt. Rainier.... I get a warm glow to me.
    Last edited by senrik; 05-04-2004 at 08:20 PM.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

FORT Fogey
    I have to agree with hepcat. A few of my friend's older siblings left CA for college in a snowy place, but they got very antsy when the summer weather didn't come until July/August. I guess it depends on what your and your family want. I'm not sure how old your kids are or how outgoing they are, but moving during high school can be very hard for teenagers. Good luck deciding!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkieparrot
    I have to agree with hepcat. A few of my friend's older siblings left CA for college in a snowy place, but they got very antsy when the summer weather didn't come until July/August. I guess it depends on what your and your family want. I'm not sure how old your kids are or how outgoing they are, but moving during high school can be very hard for teenagers. Good luck deciding!!!
    Snow? It doesn't snow often in Seattle. twice this year, none at all last year....

Snow is that stuff that happens in the Cascades and olympics to allow skiing to happen....
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    Snow? It doesn't snow often in Seattle. twice this year, none at all last year....

Snow is that stuff that happens in the Cascades and olympics to allow skiing to happen....
    Don't forget Whistler BC, my favorite ski resort in North America, a mere 5 hour drive from downtown Seattle.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

All this talk about Seattle is making me wanna move back. I lived there for a year and loved it. Tons of hiking outside the city, ferry trips to Vancouver, SeaFair in the summer. Don't forget Pike Place and downtown. Tons of stuff to do.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Lean mean speedin machine AR Boy's Avatar
    C-O-F-F-E-E

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast