+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My groupies, my homeboys...

MIA, RIP, or Busy...

My groupies, my homeboys...

My son is almost 8 and he is just beginning to experience the natural tendency to settle in with certain "social circle groups" that of course have nick-names for easy identification. Some of the nick-names of groups at his school that he was telling me about made me laugh. I guess this is affirmation that some things never change, only the lingo.

So it made me curious, when you were in school, what were some of the nick-names for particular groups of people that hung out together? When I was in school, I remember "preppies", "stoners", "heads", "jocks", "bow heads", "band geek". Or, if you have older children, what do they call their social groups nowadays? I need to be hip and cool people-HELP!
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

My daughter is a fresman in high school, and she refers to the preps, goths (kids in gothic dress), jocks, and band nerds. You mentioned "band geeks" - she would be very quick to point out that a band geek is a total OUTCAST in the band world - that is the worst thing they can be called (which I always call her in fun!) . . .but a "band nerd" is cool! Go figure!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

FORT Fogey
    when i was in highschool it was the basics
    * jocks/cheerleaders
    * burnouts (aka freaks/stoners)
    * preppies
    * nerds (aka brains)

I have heard my kids and other local teens use terms like:
    * poser
    * wigger
    * wannabe
    * skater-boi
    * goth
    * freak (but used to describe a person as being very sexual)

I'm a senior in high school and we dont really have groups with names...if we did I would probably be a cheerleader who fit into the nerd group...b/c of my obsession with message boards and my love of Clay Aiken. My school must not be very creative, b/c we really dont have names for our groups

I'm beginning to feel old...

We had a variety

nerds
    geeks
    goths
    art fags
    many racial splits
    actually, mostly split on racial except for the 4 above
    Then their were the gangs. . . .
    I of course, rode the outer waves of all groups. . .

I am the same as you Dorthy. We never really had names for groups. I am only one year out of high school and we never had names for them. There was one group no one liked and we had many names for them I can't repeat. Other than that you would just say 'someones name' and them. And people would know who you were talking about.

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Our school is so small that it's hard for cliques to start... since I go to a boarding school, people are usually lumped together by where they live, such as Day Students... but other than that, no real cliques. This year, at least.

FORT Fogey
    Lets see--
    We have the

Asian Dorks/asian nerds
    Asian Gangsta wannabes
    Band Geeks- note. all band people at our school are considered geeks, there is no middle ground
    Drama Freaks
    Biatchs/Sluts
    Goths
    Jocks-- of which I am one
    DumbA**s
    Skaters

and it goes on and on

Ahh, memories.

We had the cheerleaders (affectionately known as "the screw crew"), the football players, who pretended to be cool, though their only real achievement was not on the field--highest average GPA in the state The goths were also the thespians, the band was all geeks, and there was a huge line between the lexus/porsche/bmw drivers and the bus riders (very "pretty in pink"-esque). But the elite crust was made up of the Honor Students (who were mostly from the rich crowd, too.) It was a strange dynamic.

I recently heard of a new group from a high school aged friend, for ineedalife to sound cool -- "emos" (people who listen to depressing "emo" music and float around with a jaded, vaguely suicidal air.)
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast