+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Victimized

Wow, Star. That's freaky. Good for you for keeping your head.

My poor grandma had the same thing happen to her years ago...she lived in a really rough neighbourhood (had been there for sixty years and watched it go downhill, but flat-out refused to leave) - she was in her front room and heard someone break her window in the back, and ran out the front door into the street yelling my grandpa's name as a ruse (he'd been dead 15 years at that point in time ). The kid or whoever it was breaking in ran off.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

foolhardy comrade Moon Skin Child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Thanks everyone.

MSC, how scary!! Thank goodness you were able to attract the attention of the clerks. That could have ended very badly.
    I wish you the very best, doll. You are one brave woman.

It was extremely scary, and I am grateful that I escaped. You see so many stories on the news today about girls getting kidnapped, raped and/or murdered.

I'm just glad it was in my own neighborhood and I could have ran home.
    I was in love with a difficult man.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    My poor grandma had the same thing happen to her years ago...she lived in a really rough neighbourhood (had been there for sixty years and watched it go downhill, but flat-out refused to leave) - she was in her front room and heard someone break her window in the back, and ran out the front door into the street yelling my grandpa's name as a ruse (he'd been dead 15 years at that point in time ). The kid or whoever it was breaking in ran off.
    Your grandma sounds like my great-aunt. She lived alone in a really rural area and one night heard someone breaking into her living room window. She got her shotgun and shot at him. I don't think she hit him, but she sure scared him off, and after that she put bars on the windows.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

foolhardy comrade Moon Skin Child's Avatar
    This thread is good place to get it out. Sometimes I get scared about this sort of thing.

I love you all like a second family (besides my theater group ) and I am hoping that nothing like what I've heard ever happens to any of you again.
    I was in love with a difficult man.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    I had some stuff stolen out of my bag at school during PE once. A walkman and some tapes (should tell you how long ago this was. It was before CD's were all the rage) that I had brought from home. To this day I think I know who it was, but I was never able to prove it, so I couldn't say anything about it.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

I'm glad to know that you are all okay. Star, sounds scary to me. We also live in the country and have motion lights on all four corners of the house. When I'm alone and one goes on, I immediately grab my gun and go roaming through the dark house looking out.
    I have told this story before, somewhere, but don't think it was here. I had gone to take my foster mother shopping. We came back by my house to drop off my refrigerated groceries. When we came in the front door, I heard what sounded like something falling in the garage. I dismissed it and we went on over to her house. When I returned home I went to put something in the garage and discovered that someone had broken in there. They had ruined my outside back door but that's about all the success they had. My husbands large toolbox was locked and all the gouge marks on it just added character.
    I think the noise I had heard earlier was the back door slamming when they made a hasty exit. I often thought about it after that. Wonder if things would have been different if I'd come in alone the first time? That was years ago and I still open the blind to look in the garage before I go out there.

to you and your family being okay and you being able to multitask Star. I got burglarized in the middle of the night a few months ago and I remember just how disorienting it feels. Did the police leave fingerprint powder everywhere?

I think the strangest crime I was ever the victim of was when someone stole an entire load of my laundry out of a dorm dryer my freshman year of college (there was a whole spree of laundry theft). I'm sure they got a lot of good use out of my Oregon ASA Softball Championship t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    I also experienced the '89 quake. I was lucky - no damage to speak of in my apartment. Our pool had about 2 feet of water splash out and that was it! And I lived about 5-10 miles from Paulie at the time.
    I was reading back through these posts and this one reminded me of the time my mother was house-sitting for my sister in the SF area in 1989. Some background: my mother moved to So. Calif from NY in 1948, and earthquakes scared the hell out of her. So her way of dealing with them was to be as prepared as possible. She had batteries, candles, food, water, even had running shoes (with socks) under her bed, along with a flashlight, sweatshirt and pants , just in case one hit during the night. She even went so far as to hide cash in her backyard, in case banks were closed for some time afterward! So here she is house-sitting for my sister in the SF area, when the 7.5 quake hit. Now, my sister is the direct opposite of my mother, so my mother, who is fully prepared for ANYTHING at home, is alone in my sister's home, when the 7.5 quake hits, and she has NOTHING. She wasn't hurt, and eventually she realized that my sister's place was fine, but I think she ended up having to go without running water and electricity for about a week. Also, my sister's cat ran out the front door and disappeared for about two days, so my mom was frantic about the cat. It just seemed really ironic to us that the one time she experienced a BIG earthquake with consequences, she had no supplies to help her endure it. Murphy's law, I guess.

Fortunately, I have never been victimized other than the soft convertible top of an MG I had years ago was slashed, and the approximate $5.00 in change I had in the ashtray stolen. After reading these posts, I consider myself very lucky. Star, glad to hear you're ok.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Premium Member
    This has been an interesting read, thanks everyone for sharing your stories.

I haven't been a victim of a real serious crime but I had my car broken into last summer. It was weird how creeped out and violated I felt. It was so senseless too. I went out to my car one morning and the front passenger side window was smashed completely out. The glove compartment, which I use as a mobile storage unit :rolleyes was completely emptied out on the seats, every piece of paper yanked out of the binders for the car manuals, etc, envelopes emptied, etc etc. I had a little cash in a compartment in the middle that was not taken. I had a binder full of CDs, some of them pretty rare stuff that I would have had a hard time replacing...every CD was yanked out of the case and thrown around the car but none were taken. After I cleaned up the car and took inventory, I figured out that they had only taken an old, dirty set of gym clothes I had in the back, an umbrella, and one of the owner's manuals for the car.

They had also ripped out one of the back drink holders, and obviously climbed into the back seat to...relax. I am trying to think of a nice PG way to say this. Um there was a....sticky white-ish stain in the backseat. No way to know for sure but I really think it was....

why me.

The best you can do is to fake it
    Sometimes you canít make it on your own

Quote Originally Posted by geekgirl
    I had a binder full of CDs, some of them pretty rare stuff that I would have had a hard time replacing...every CD was yanked out of the case and thrown around the car but none were taken.
    So, was this a commetary on your choice of music?
    They had also ripped out one of the back drink holders, and obviously climbed into the back seat to...relax. I am trying to think of a nice PG way to say this. Um there was a....sticky white-ish stain in the backseat. No way to know for sure but I really think it was...
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789