+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Victimized

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Earthquakes and hurricanes

In the early 90s when i came ho,me from overseas, I went dinner at my dads' placce after dropping off my bags in the living room and taking a short nap. came back from dinner just in time to here someone ransacking our condo. My brother and I shared it at the time, I realised he was in my brothers room and that he had guns there. hoping he hadn't found them I went into the room and confronted the guy. He told me he was the complex manager and he was looking for bugs and wanted to know who I was, he hadn't met us at the time. I told him I owned the place and asked him again what was he doing. he said looking for a leak. couldn't keep his story straight. as he was talking to me, he raised the flashlight in his hand, as he did I took a step closer to cut the distance down and the force of the blow if it came. In Florida at that time, not sure about now, You couldn't kick the living crap out of someone if you found them in your palce. So I walked him out and as I was opening the door a neighbor was going by. i asked him who the guy was and he said the manager/security guy. Told him I found him robbing the place. turns out they were going to fire him and gave him notice and he was going through all the places he thought were empty. After that i told the managaement group that they will no longer have my keys for access.. if this was the type of people they hired.

Oh, yeah! Floods! Forgot about those. We had one here in '97. There was a big old river outside our house where the main road used to be. Messed up by car trying to plow through it like an idiot. We also got some water in our finished basement. And this red towel that was on the floor bled into the blue carpet. Yuck!
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I was in high school during the Blizzard of '78. We only had 14 inches, but huge drifts from the wind. There was a 10 foot one on part of our driveway. My dad was out of town and my mom had just had major surgery about two weeks earlier. We were without electricity for about 18 hours. We set our camp stove up on the back porch and heated soup, coffee, hot chocolate, and water for hot water bottles.

I sat in front of the picture window, in a sleeping bag with a hot water bottle and just watched the storm, occasionally stepping outside to take pictures of drifts forming with beautiful curled tops.

We then had power for about 8 hours, before our gas went off. Water had gotten into the line and frozen. With an electric oven and stove-top, we closed off the kitchen and baked. Yummm.

Three years ago we had an ice storm that knocked our power out for three days. Fortunately we were able to get our hands on a generator to keep the fridge and sump pump going.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Wheatfield, NY (outside of Niagara Falls)
    I lived in Oakland near the University of Pittsburgh for six years (just moved out this week) and never had any problems, but in the past year:

1. My apartment was broken into, and they stole one crappy tv and one crappy VCR
    2. The two passenger side tires on my brand new Honda Civic were slashed
    3. My roomate was mugged at gunpoint (it would have been relatively uneventful, but as the guy walked away, she yelled "f*** you" and he came back and smacked her in the back of the head with his gun"
    4. My (coed) fraternity house was broken into and my one brother was attacked by the guy with a knife... luckily she fought him off with no injuries

Even though the last two didn't happen to me specifically, I certainly didn't feel safe afterwards.

1984--Women's Olympic Diving Finals, Los Angeles. I was 17 years old, and with my family sitting in the VIP seats, on my commemorative LA '84 stadium seat cushion, at the aisle, right below a bank of foriegn journalists. Somebody did a great dive and everybody stood up to cheer. When I sat down, my cushion was gone!!! That's right, my Olympic seat cushion was stolen right out from under my butt! In the stinking VIP section. I took this very hard No one sitting behind us admitted to seeing anything. My father gave me his cushion, but it was not the same

Then about 6 years ago, my minivan was broken into, because I'd carelessly left the diaper bag (which held diapers) in open sight. You know what the bonehead took? He dumped out the diaper bag, and then stole a stuffed animal from the car. All I can say, is thank goodness my toddler didn't care about that particular animal. If it had been his lovey, I'd have really been ticked.

Drain my brain.
    I thought my story would've been the worst; seems like I was wrong. I think you all have me beat out. I'm glad you all were okay and nothing more serious happened to you/family.
    I drive down the street in a Rolls Royce car. Use hundred dollar bills when I light my cigar.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    January 17th, 1994
    4:31 a.m.

I lived about 10 miles away from the epicenter of the Northridge earthquake in Los Angeles, CA. The magnitude was gaged at 6.7.

(extreme honesty here) I had just moved to California the day before it hit. I lived in Michigan and everyone always would say to me "How can you move there with the earthquakes??" I said it would be rare to actually "feel" one. ha!
    My brother was in the hospital with terminal illness and I moved there to help take care of him. His boyfriend and I had spent the entire day cleaning the apartment getting it ready for him to come home. I couldn't sleep for the life of me so we got high in hopes of calming me down. 10 minutes afterward......the floorboards started buckling, everything smashing all around me..no lights...crashing and the sound of a freight train going through the place!! Extremely scary...especially being stoned!! The whole apartment was a disaster and all you could here outside (after it "passed"*) were billions of car alarms and the smell of smoke from fires, and no electricity. We sat in the dark..scared out of our wits for hourrrrrs! I always said it was God getting mad at me for smoking pot.

Didn't scare me off though, I stayed in California. But I stopped smoking pot.

Click to view some pictures of damage ------>Northridge Earthquake
    Click to read very interesting facts about this earthquake and other----->Info about quakes

*It never did really "pass"..there were zillions of aftershocks, which are pretty much just as bad as the earthquake itself.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    Didn't scare me off though, I stayed in California. But I stopped smoking pot.

Natural disasters:

Been subjected to quite a few Nor'easters in the North Atlantic while enroute to save some moron's who decided not to check the weather forecast in advance. The two that made me poop my pants and scared me straight was the big storm in '94 which blew even harder once at sea and most recently a back to back Nor'easter over Thanksgiving in 2002. That one rolled the ship 70 degrees (past the self-righting limit) and set the engine room on fire. God and I got very close that week.

Here's a few pics taken a day before the big roll. Just to give you an idea of what kind of crap we were into:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by speedbump; 05-01-2004 at 05:46 AM.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I got mugged once, walking home from work, alone, at 1 AM. They took my purse.

My brother's house got creamed by a tornado in 1995.

And of course - I was without power for 24 hours in the big blackout of '03.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Leo
    Premium Member
    Let me see... one major earthquake 14 years ago. Affected by a volcanic eruption 13 years ago. Typhoons every few years or so. I'm well covered on the natural disaster front.

Crime, fortunately no... though back in high school a friend of mine was held up monthly for four months or so.

+ Reply to Thread