+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Vacations?

Vacations?

I've gotten lots of good info from my fellow Forters (or is it Fortians?) regarding what to do in cities I've visited. So I thought it might be fun to start up a thread like that since we are heading into prime vacation season.

I'm going (tomorrow) to San Francisco to see my best friend. We are definitely going to his show (Teatro Zinzanni), Muir Woods & Chinatown. Anyone have other suggestions? Restaurants?

Also, next month I'm taking 3 teens to the Grand Canyon & Vegas. I'm somewhat of an expert on visiting Vegas and have been to the Canyon before, but I wonder if anyone has any restaurants, hotels, etc that they reccomend. We're probably staying at either a hostel in Flagstaff or a little motel in Williams, AZ called The Westerner. It looks like it will either be kitchy & fun or dingy and frightening. Anyone stayed there?

If anyone wants advice on visiting New Mexico or Vegas, let me know. I have tons to share!

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    MollyRose!!!! your gonna visit MY city??? The most romantic city in the world????

Well if possible check these places or things to do out!

1. Marin headlands...go over the Golden Gate Bridge and on you left side (going back into the city) you can drive up and have the most amazing view..of the CIty and the Bridge. SO after you come back from Muir Woods...would be a good chance to see it.

2. Wine Tasting in Napa Valley!!!! make it a day of wine tasting and massages!!!

3. As far as Resturants....try to go to the Slanted Door. (Vietnamese...amazning)
    Aqua (seafood)lol....Park Chow (great comfort food) ....Gary Danko's (if you can get in..very swanky...Farallon (nicccce)...Boulavard..(very nice)...Zuni Cafe (awesome)
    Plumpjack..(owned by the Mayor) ...Rose Pistola (its in North Beach) Nanking Palace (My favorite Chinese Resturant)...and my favorite Brewery Resturant 21st Amendment..

San Francisco is known for its resturants...

4. Lombard Street ..the crookest street in the world..

5. Palace of Fine Arts is having an amazing exhibit of Art Deco...you should check it out.

6. Ocean Beach!!!

7. In Marin is Stinson Beach, a tiny community with a lovely beach....its near Muir WOods...you can actually hike from Muir woods to Stinson.

8. Take a drive on Highway 1 to Santa Cruz....watch the surfers...gorgeous drive especially in this weather..

9. Cable Car to Fishermans Wharf...very touristy but fun. And eat at Scoma's....awesome...

Have lots of fun Molly Rose, the weather is amazing right now...its in the 80's..
    Last edited by Tallulahbaby; 04-29-2004 at 04:21 PM.
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

FORT Fogey
    I work in International Travel.

So if anyone has any questions regarding travel abroad, please feel free to PM me.

I have particular expertise on places such as Africa (North, East, South and Southern), the Middle East, Southeast Asia, Australia & New Zealand and the Orient.

Ooh! Fun topic!

I don't have any info on your cities MollyRose, sorry. Btw, did you have a great time in NYC?

I will be visiting San Diego over Memorial Day weekend. Anyone know of anything especially wonderful in San Diego that I shouldn't miss?
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave
    I will be visiting San Diego over Memorial Day weekend. Anyone know of anything especially wonderful in San Diego that I shouldn't miss?
    They have one of the best zoos in the world.

Jay
    Molly, the drive to Monterey and the Monterey Bay Aquarium is a great day trip.

Tallulahbaby, I'm jealous of you. SF is an amazing city.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulahbaby
    8. Take a drive on Highway 1 to Santa Cruz....watch the surfers...gorgeous drive especially in this weather..
    I second that. We took that drive and it was amazing. Also Monterey is a really nice place, especially the 17 or 18 mile drive...whatever it is, I have tons of pics on my computer from when we were there. I was clickin away.

As for me, I am hoping to hit up Calgary some time early next year. My cousin and her boyfriend live up there as well as my girl who might have to move up there for a while longer into next year. Then I would like to go up to Edmonton and visit a few other friends that moved up there. Then of course when I am 21 I would like to head back to Vegas with a bunch of friends.

My husband and I are going to Arizona in September for our vacation. We have reservations to take the train from Williams up to the grand canyon, but I need places to stay on the weekends. We are flying into Phoenix.

As far as Resturants....try to go to the Slanted Door. (Vietnamese...amazning)
    Aqua (seafood)lol....Park Chow (great comfort food) ....Gary Danko's (if you can get in..very swanky...Farallon (nicccce)...Boulavard..(very nice)...Zuni Cafe (awesome)
    Plumpjack..(owned by the Mayor) ...Rose Pistola (its in North Beach) Nanking Palace (My favorite Chinese Resturant)...and my favorite Brewery Resturant 21st Amendment..
    *comes out of year-long lurking*

I also live in SF and I love Park Chow. They have great spaghetti and meatballs. 21st Amendment is also nice. The other places I'd recommend are Old Krakow (Polish), Go-Go Cafe (Chinese), and Fresca (Peruvian).

Pier 39 is nice but very touristy. The area around SBC Park is also very pretty. Oh, and there's the Metreon, which is near Union Square. That's a nice place to catch a movie or to play in an arcade.

If you have the time you can go on the San Francisco Ghost Hunt. I had a friend from Australia in town over the weekend and we loved it.

I think that's about all I got. And Tallulahbaby, I love your icon!

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    1. Marin headlands...go over the Golden Gate Bridge and on you left side (going back into the city) you can drive up and have the most amazing view..of the CIty and the Bridge. SO after you come back from Muir Woods...would be a good chance to see it.
    Yeah. Definitely go there. Our class went on an overnight field trip there last year. It was really pretty because there's a really big hill and you can see the bridge from the top.

And I also live in SF.

Have fun!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast