+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Vacations?

Our big trip this summer takes place in just under three weeks. We're heading up to Alaska for a couple weeks. Haven't been back there in nearly four years. This will be my daughter's third trip there, my oldest son's second, and the little guy's first visit.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

That sounds awesome, Paulie. I'd love to visit Alaska.
    In a month from...today, I think, I'm going to Ireland/Scotland/England. 10 days, with my mother and sister. We're renting a car and driving around. If I don't make it back, it's because we strangled each other after spending days cooped up together, or we seriously underestimated a traffic circle.
    I'm excited, though: I spent five weeks in London in college, but didn't see a lot of the countryside, and none of us has ever been to Ireland or Scotland.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Wow Paulie, that's an exciting vacation destination! I assume from the way your worded it you used to live there, though, right?

Take lots of pictures and post some here.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Fogey
    In San Francisco one of the neatest things we saw (by accident) was the Cable Car Museum - lots of cool historical photos, descriptions as well as the room to see the inner workings of the cable lines.

New Orleans was fantastic in early April - but I can't imagine going for Mardi Gras - too busy and crazy. We were there for 2 weeks and have lots of great touring suggestions if anyone wants to contact me (nfl1@cornell.edu). We only walked down Bourbin St. one afternoon and that was noisy and culture enough...but the best restaurants we loved were Deanie's Seafood on the corner of Iberville & Dalphine and the Camellia Grill at the end of the St. Charles Street car.

My 'big vacation' this summer is coming up fast! We leave June 28 for my in-law's in SnowLake Manitoba. I am not looking forward to this trip, a fact that makes me feel petty and selfish. My husband hasn't seen his parents in over a year and they have not seen their grandchild for as long.
    Its the drive that is stressing me out. 27 hours - broken up into 3 days in our car .. we stay at my in-laws for a week (where I play slave) and then we get to do the car thing all over again.
    I'm thinking separate vacations next year or maybe we'll send the kiddo and go on a honeymoon (we didn't have one, our priority was buying a house)

Actually.. serious question.. have you ever taken separate vacations from your spouse?

oops!! ETA: the whole point of this thread!!

We will be staying in Winnipeg for a few days on the way home. we're going to visit The Children's Museum (totally hands on!) The Planetarium, Museum of Man and Nature and the Royal Canadian Mint - so we can see some coins being struck (my daughter is fascinated with coins)
    There's a ton to do in Winnipeg, you can visit old Fort Gary and there is another Fort up the river, it's an interesing place.
    Last edited by Duxxy; 06-08-2004 at 01:46 PM.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Everyone has such exotic vacations and all I ever get is Texas! No fair!

Duxxy I think we spent about 36 hours in the car
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

FORT Fogey
    Duxxy - I think the leave the child with grandma/pa and a trip to a romantic city alone sounds in order ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    Duxxy I think we spent about 36 hours in the car
    oh hunny! that sucks!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Have fun in my hometown, Dux Make sure you take little Dux to the zoo at Assiniboine Park, and go shopping at the Forks.

(Trust me, Texie...Winnipeg is not exotic. Not by a long shot. WE think Texas is exotic )
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    That sounds awesome, Paulie. I'd love to visit Alaska.
    In a month from...today, I think, I'm going to Ireland/Scotland/England. 10 days, with my mother and sister. We're renting a car and driving around. If I don't make it back, it's because we strangled each other after spending days cooped up together, or we seriously underestimated a traffic circle.
    I'm excited, though: I spent five weeks in London in college, but didn't see a lot of the countryside, and none of us has ever been to Ireland or Scotland.
    Lucy if you can - you should try and take ride on the 'Venice Simplon Orient Express' or 'Royal Scotsman' train lines. A chance to get all dressed-up and be treated like royalty, served meals on the finest China, drink from leaded crystal goblets while riding aboard a famous romantic train, feeling like you went back in time to a different era.

The VSOE even offers some short day trips where you spend just an afternoon or evening aboard as well as trips that last several days.

Just a passing thought...

+ Reply to Thread