+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Vacations?

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave
    Ooh! Fun topic!

I don't have any info on your cities MollyRose, sorry. Btw, did you have a great time in NYC?

I will be visiting San Diego over Memorial Day weekend. Anyone know of anything especially wonderful in San Diego that I shouldn't miss?
    San Diego Zoo in really great! It's been a long time since I have been there though. If you like historical things - The Presidio and the Mission are very interesting. I really like Sea World too. It has some of the excitement of an amusement park plus the educational aspect of a marine zoo. Last summer I took my grandchildren and we had Dinner with Shamu. It's the only place I have ever seen a manatee before...so that was really different.

Old Town is good too. Lot's of great Mexican Restaurants there....shopping and little interesting things to do. A month ago we went on the Ghost Tour. It was kind of pricey, but fun.

My daughter lives in San Diego...so I will ask her if she has any more suggestions and post them.
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

Those are great suggestions, Kaicee. I was born & raised in SD, and you pretty much covered the highlights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    They have one of the best zoos in the world.
    It is the best zoo in the world. Not that I'm biased because I went to school right next to it (running laps in PE, I could see the elephants & giraffes!). Check out Balboa Park just next door. Beautiful architecture and several art, cultural, historical, natural science, and modern science museum all in one place! The botanical gardens there are gorgeous!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    San Diego. One of my all-time favorite cities. The Zoo is absoultely the best anywhere. Old Town is fun.

Another thing there - I'm not trying to be political or anything - there's a military cemetary (name escapes) - where thousands of soldiers are buried. I'm thinking that would be something to see on Memorial Day. JMO.

La Jolla is great too. And Coronado Island is nice.

Have a great time. banana

Quote Originally Posted by KaiCee
    San Diego Zoo in really great! It's been a long time since I have been there though.

YES! DO NOT pass on the zoo! One of the best days I have ever had...and if the guy in the panda suit grabs you to polka (right as you enter)....Just do it and for Gods sake make sure you get a picture to post here!
    They have the most amazing aquarium I have ever seen....it is a half tunnel of glass....with huge sharks and sting-rays that feel inches from you.

I also say on the news that they have a bunch of baby koalas born this week!

have fun!

FORT Newbie
    One week from today I head to sunny Barbados!!! I worked there from 2002 until July of last year. It is a great place and I highly recommend it!

While I was there my son came to visit for Christmas and then brought his girlfriend in June. This past Christmas he proposed and they are getting married in Barbados. My brother & sister-in-law are going with me. I was making our non-refunable reservations and called my son to verify the dates. He said all was well. A couple of weeks later he called to tell me that he was using frequent flyer miles for their flight and the dates he wanted were BLACKED OUT! So, in a nutshell, my brother, sister-in-law and I leave May 6 and return May 16. My son and his fiance leave on May 17 and get married there on the 20th. We miss the wedding!!! I'm 'over' it now. You just have to laugh!!

Anybody interested in Barbados....just let me know.
    "...I am the captain of my fate. I am the master of my soul." William Ernest Henley 1875

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysluggo
    *comes out of year-long lurking*

I also live in SF and I love Park Chow. They have great spaghetti and meatballs. 21st Amendment is also nice. The other places I'd recommend are Old Krakow (Polish), Go-Go Cafe (Chinese), and Fresca (Peruvian).

Pier 39 is nice but very touristy. The area around SBC Park is also very pretty. Oh, and there's the Metreon, which is near Union Square. That's a nice place to catch a movie or to play in an arcade.

If you have the time you can go on the San Francisco Ghost Hunt. I had a friend from Australia in town over the weekend and we loved it.

I think that's about all I got. And Tallulahbaby, I love your icon!
    Im glad you love Barry Zito...he loves you to!!!
    Where is Fresca?? I would love to have some Peruvian food.
    I also like Dire Straits on Geary....Its Indonesian Food.

Im going to Maui at the end of May. Thats my spring vacation. We will be up in Kaanapali. Ugh I cant wait!!! My hubby will surf and I will lay on the beach!
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulahbaby
    Where is Fresca?? I would love to have some Peruvian food.
    There's two: one on Fillmore and the other on West Portal- that's the one I went to last week. We're so spolied here because we have so many restaurants to choose from.

As far as my vacation plans are concerned, I went to New York for a few days a few weeks ago. I spent almost the entire time eating at Jewish delis and other yummy places. And I might go to New Orleans in June, but I'm not sure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepysluggo
    As far as my vacation plans are concerned, I went to New York for a few days a few weeks ago. I spent almost the entire time eating at Jewish delis and other yummy places. And I might go to New Orleans in June, but I'm not sure yet.
    A word of advice... visit N. O. in Spring or Fall! Well, the first 2 weeks of June might be ok if you don't plan to be doing much physical activity, like walking and breathing. Actually this goes for the entire Southeast from Tennessee on south unless you're going to the mountains or beach. Unless, of course you're a big fan of saunas! I've lived in Georgia all my life and I still barely survive the summers here. Trust me , the heat and humidity is horrible.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Oooh, the new streetcar line on Canal Street just opened in New Orleans. Lots of great tourist stuff in New Orleans, and talk about another town known for it's restaurants. But QueenB is right - go for Mardi Gras in the spring, summer is pretty miserable.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I figured the weather would be lousy. The trip's scheduled for mid-late June. Ugh. It's a group that I'd be going with so I have no control over when to go. I'll see how things pan out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast