+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Celebrities and Weight Loss

FORT Fogey

Celebrities and Weight Loss

I have been hearing some buzz lately about certain groups and orginizations that celebrate being "a person of size" being upset with certain celebrities for being spokesmodels for potentially high risk weight loss procedures/programs.

Randy Jackson, Al Roker, Carnie Wilson, Anna Nicole Smith, Wayne Knight and Cameron Manheim are among the celebrities having tremendous weight loss in recent years. Many through surgical stomach stapling procedures or with pharmecutical help. (Wayne "Hello Newman" Knight I believe acheived his weight loss soley via diet and excercise)

I dont think anyone could ever argue with someone wanting to loose weight and be more fit for physical and mental health purposes - that is just leading a healthy lifestyle.

The groups that feel this type of drastic measure for a quick route to weight loss, sets not only a bad and possibly dangerous example but also make it seem that being large is so unpleasant that the person cant wait to make a quick and public transformation - as if being overweight was like having koodies.

Cameron Manheim is sited as an example of someone who - just a few years ago accepted her Emmy Award with the exclamation "This one is for all the fat chicks!" and was celebrated as someone who was comfortable in her own skin - and then subsequently felt the need to become one of the "thin chicks". Some larger people feel a sort of betrayal over something like that.

What do you think? Do celebrities have any sort of accountability to anyone but themselves in their decisions and/or mentods to alter their bodies?
    Last edited by Daddio; 04-29-2004 at 12:12 PM.

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    I read Carnie Wilson's book, Gut Feelings. And having Bariatric Surgery is not something you just decide on a whim, letsay like hmmmm I think I'll paint my toenails pink today!!! Carnie said if she didnt do something about her weight, she would die.
    Death from Bariatric Surgery is 1 in 200. SO its something that people do think long and hard about. And its not the easy way out. You have to conciously think each day about what you are going to eat and exercise.
    I think people are starting to get that being obese is unhealthy and that you can die!!!
    Maybe Cameron Mayheim was having sleep apnea or borderline diabetes or shortness of breath or her knees were starting to hurt (this is just a few symptoms and problems from obesity) and decided her health was more important than what "other fat girls" thought. :rolleyes
    Kudos to people who can lose weight without surgery. But for those who cant it is a much needed and life saving tool.

Now im not saying that people who are obese accidently got there and whoops..lol I think that obese people should take responsibilty about how they got that way, then set out to lose the weight whatever way that works for them that is healthy and safe.

I dunno if I make sense! lol anythoughts?
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

FORT Fogey
    I gained some weight over the last few years, and I know exactly why. I was an "emotional eater." I am not a slob, nor am I lazy. I was just dealing with a bad marriage, work stress, etc. and I guess food was the drug of choice. Then one day I realized what I was doing to myself, and it startled me into action. Now, I know that diet and exercise are the keys to losing weight, but I actually needed help to get me there. So I started a weight loss program, through a clinic. It is a very strict diet and very closely monitored as far as blood pressure, etc. throughout the program. And when I get to my goal, they have a maintenance program where they train you to "eat" again, but properly. I have to say I am extremely proud of myself (23 pounds so far) for sticking to it. I am lucky enough to have good willpower, and avoiding a family history of diabetes and heart disease mean so much more to me than *gasp* a mocha caramel frappucino with whipped cream does now. And trust me, that is hard to say

That said, I do have much sympathy for people with eating problems. My daughter is an emotional eater as well, and I am trying my best to teach her healthier habits. I know it is hard for people to understand, but when food becomes your drug, it is so hard to go back to learning how to eat to live, not live to eat. It's not like kicking cigarettes or cocaine, because you HAVE to eat to survive. So your "drug" is a necessity. You just have to learn that Ben & Jerry are not really your best friends, and get a grip on the situation. Now I have never exactly been a 'delicate flower' type of person, even at my athletic best from HS I was still 'curvy.' But I'm ok with that, and looking forward to being my old babe-a-licious self again.

The single most important lesson that I have learned throughout all of this is that, no matter what size or shape I am in, I am a good person who deserves to be appreciated. (Do I sound like Stuart Smalley? "And doggone it, people like me!") When I started this diet, I had to explain to my soon to be ex that I would no longer be preparing meals for the family because I needed time to kick my old habits. He told me my diet was making me selfish. I looked him dead in the eyes and replied, "For the last 12 years, I have dedicated myself to worrying about what makes every one else in my life happy. By not eating healthy, I was killing myself. So, if for once in my life, I have to be selfish in order to make sure that I will be around to see my children grow up, then so be it. I AM GOING TO BE SELFISH THEN." So, I give mad props to anyone who is thinking about or who is undertaking this journey. It's not easy, trust me, I know.

What do you think? Do celebrities have any sort of accountability to anyone but themselves in their decisions and/or mentods to alter their bodies?
    NO.

ETA: that like asking if Britney and Xtina shouldn't cover up more for the good of their young fans.... It is our job as parents to teach our children well, not the media's and if you are going to run out and do something because a celeb does it you are not right in the head.
    Last edited by Duxxy; 04-29-2004 at 01:28 PM.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

on vacation
    I agree with Duxxy. There might have been a time when celebrities were someone you were envious in a lot of ways, but personally not anymore and for a multitude of reasons.

We look at them and think we would love to have their livestyles but truly I don't believe any of us comprehend how fake/unrealistic some of what we see is. If I had a nanny and personal trainer and chef and stylist, my life would be easier too. I think the majority of the decisions they make are based on the fact that they can afford to make them.

Oh and to finish the other part of your question, no, I don't think they owe us anything in terms of their choices. Most people with a good head on their shoulders wouldn't base something because so and so on tv does it.
    Memo from God

I am God. Today I will be handling all of your problems. Please remember that I do not need your help.

FORT Fogey
    I agree with what Duxxy and Dreaminginblonde said.

That being said, do you think the majority of people feel that way?

And if so, then why are these celebrities on the cover of magazines, doing tv commercials and in other ways - being paid spokesmodels for the surgery (Carnie, Al and Randy have all been paid spokesmodels in print and televised ads) and meds (Anna Nicole plugging Trim-Spa)?

Are the adverstisers and service providers mis-judging the "it worked for me" appeal of a celebrity plugging their products or services? Or do you think that many people do make choices based on what celebs do?

I bet if you lined up 10 people, they would all agree with what we have said, that we dont make drastic surgical or medical choices based upon celebrity endorsement, yet the ads and commercials and plugs appear nearly daily.

Have you seen some of these celebs without the aide of professional make up jobs and when they miss some gym time? They look resolutely average. If you compare yourself to that standard of impossibility, you are doing yourself a massive injustice.

Camryn Manheim has lost a lot of weight, and a lot of it had to do with keeping up with her young son and wanting to be a healthy parent for him, seeing as she's a single mother.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by dreaminginblond
    I agree with Duxxy. There might have been a time when celebrities were someone you were envious in a lot of ways, but personally not anymore and for a multitude of reasons.

We look at them and think we would love to have their livestyles but truly I don't believe any of us comprehend how fake/unrealistic some of what we see is. If I had a nanny and personal trainer and chef and stylist, my life would be easier too. I think the majority of the decisions they make are based on the fact that they can afford to make them.

Oh and to finish the other part of your question, no, I don't think they owe us anything in terms of their choices. Most people with a good head on their shoulders wouldn't base something because so and so on tv does it.
    How very, very true.

The advertizers are trying to cash in on the celeb's notority. They want their product to be remembered - what better way to have it remembered than to associated it with a famous face. They are hoping that you remember the face when you go shopping and pick up their product ...... that has nothing to do with weight loss issue.
    Those total gyms and what ever it is that Christie Brinkely and Chuck Norris are pushing are use at your own risk, consult with your doctor type deals.

It would be a good thing if Common Sense were more common.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread