+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 106 FirstFirst ... 438384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: FORTers' consumer reports

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORTers' consumer reports

With OxyClean I, like you, have found that you may need to repeat the process a couple of times, but it looks differently every time you treat it. Eventually.....All Gone!!!

I've also heard that you can save money on do-it-yourself reupholstering by buying fabric remnants. The store is trying to get rid of them, anyway....and bargain, bargain, bargain with the store manager or owner!!! Offer/Counteroffer!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I made an oxyclean paste get a rid of blue ball point pen ink out of a white carpet I had when the old dog chewed it and smeared it everywhere. Took a few tries but eventually worked. Honestly sometimes if it wasn't a major issue I'd just dilute some bissel floor cleaner and hand clean it and rinse it.

Pre-bissel it wasn't unheard of for me to get a bucket of water and dilute some cleaner in it and give an old chair a good scrub and then suck the liquid out with shop vac while rinsing. Messier than all get out but worked (actually I did that at my ex and we had some SMALL apartments so buying extra wasn't an option).

Though I have to say if it's between a bissel and reupholstering professionally the $90 is going to be much cheaper than the $400 for a redo on the chair. Even doing it yourself the price for the fabric and supplies would be pushing close to a cleaner. It's really not that hard to do a chair. Once you get it down to the bones it's all very logical from there on out. I do my kitchen chairs with some regularity as my mood changes and I want a new style.
    You'd have to see how this chair is built and covered to know why I would never attempt to re-upholster it myself. I like the way it was done and, really, aside from the stains on the arms, the rest of the fabric is in good shape. I don't love the fabric - it's just tan with small hints of blue - a very faint pattern like a plaid, but not really. It's a rough woven cloth. Very classic, like my parents' taste. It's not my taste, but I don't hate it. When I have the money, I'd rather have it re-upholstered than buy another appliance.

I've only ever needed a steam cleaner once in my life, so it's just not something I'd buy even if I had the money or the space to put it. I live alone and have two cats that generate maybe one hairball a month. At most, I need a little Folex to fix that problem - often, not even that. My brother used to work in the flooring business and he always advised me not to use steam cleaners too much because they tend to break down the carpet padding over time.

Luckily, the chair is going in my office (aka second bedroom where there is no bed) and not my living room, so if the stains can't be removed, not many people will see it anyway.
    Last edited by Critical; 05-10-2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: weirdness with quotes
    Jamie5632 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Critical If the stain is just on the arms, how would it look to make a simple arm cover out of a nice complementary fabric remnant. You could find a fabric that would give the chair some pizazz.
    Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    Critical If the stain is just on the arms, how would it look to make a simple arm cover out of a nice complementary fabric remnant. You could find a fabric that would give the chair some pizazz.
    Just a thought.
    I don't know that this chair would have pizazz in any situation, but I have thought that the next step (if the stains won't come out) would be arm covers. I've found some good stuff in the remnants section of Joann's in the past, so maybe I'd have some luck. It would definitely be cheaper than recovering it!

Really, I don't want to give the impression that my father is Pigpen or anything. Far from it. This is just what happened over many years or him sitting on that chair.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

FORT Fogey

I hope somebody here can help me. After years and years of wearing the same makeup, somehow I seem to have now developed an allergy to it. Particularly the eye makeup.

Does anybody here know anything about hypoallergenic makeup? Can you recommend a good brand?

I appreciate any help anybody can offer.

Signed,
    Itchy
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

How long ago did you buy the makeup that's now causing an allergy?

I don't know about you but I so rarely wear makeup, I don't buy new stuff for years. Bacteria can build up in makeup, though, causing irritation. If there's no expiration date on the makeup, it's recommended to replace it every 6 months. If your makeup is over 6 months old, you might try buying a new one of the same brand and see if that helps.

Here's the site I got this information from: Swollen Eyes From Makeup | LIVESTRONG.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxxx View Post
    I hope somebody here can help me. After years and years of wearing the same makeup, somehow I seem to have now developed an allergy to it. Particularly the eye makeup.

Does anybody here know anything about hypoallergenic makeup? Can you recommend a good brand?

Signed,
    Itchy
    Clinique is good if you have allergies. I have several friends who swear by it. I use Bare Escentuals and it's hypo-allergenic. I love it. You can find it at any Ulta or Sephora and I think some JC Penney stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxxx View Post

Signed,
    Itchy
    As I unfortunately have found out allergies can develop at any time. I keep gaining more and more allergies. If you don't have a lot of money I've been using Almay make-up with good success. Some other eye make-ups were making my eyes itchy too. I was given a Lancome eye liner pencil that I can use and love it. I certainly can see why if you have the funds one would spend more.

'Almay' is a good makeup for people with alleriges, too. I have had really good luck with it not causing any allergies for me.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    As I unfortunately have found out allergies can develop at any time. I keep gaining more and more allergies. If you don't have a lot of money I've been using Almay make-up with good success. Some other eye make-ups were making my eyes itchy too. I was given a Lancome eye liner pencil that I can use and love it. I certainly can see why if you have the funds one would spend more.
    Because it takes about 7 years for the cells in our body to renew themselves, it's really common to develop allergies at those seven year breaks. I developed a pretty bad metal allergy right around the time when I turned 28. It started coming on a few months before that. I didn't even think about the seven year thing until it got worse around 35 and I had kind an "aha" moment. Before 28, I could have put a dirty twig through my earlobe and it would have been fine. After that, it was only 14K gold and surgical steel. It improved again around 42 and now I just have to not wear copper or Sterling more than a few days in a row.

I know my mom tried even Clinique mascara and her eyes itched horribly. After trying many other brands, she finally gave up.

+ Reply to Thread