+ Reply to Thread
Page 91 of 106 FirstFirst ... 4181828384858687888990919293949596979899100101 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: FORTers' consumer reports

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: FORTers' consumer reports

I doubt your place is too tiny for a little green machine. It's an itty, bitty unit. Here's a picture I got from a Google image search showing a lady using one to clean inside her car:

They're only $90 at Walmart but that is a lot of money when you don't have much to spare.

I hope the Woolite works for you. Let us know how it does!

I have a little green machine that I've used on carpeted stairs, but never thought about it for furniture. Duh. I'm gonna try that on my outdoor cushions that birds and muddy-footed cats seem to love.

Critical, I think you'll have great success w/ upholstery cleaner. As an alternative, I wanted to mention something I tried recently on a piece that was too far gone for cleaning -- spray fabric paint. The can I bought was around $5. For an armchair style where the fabric is "framed" by wood, I was thinking this could work to cover and give it a new look (but not if it's the cushy style with fabric everywhere). Anyway, best of luck to you... I love reviving old pieces of furniture like you described (that are made so much better than I can afford new).
    remember to play

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma View Post
    I have a little green machine that I've used on carpeted stairs, but never thought about it for furniture. Duh. I'm gonna try that on my outdoor cushions that birds and muddy-footed cats seem to love.

Critical, I think you'll have great success w/ upholstery cleaner. As an alternative, I wanted to mention something I tried recently on a piece that was too far gone for cleaning -- spray fabric paint. The can I bought was around $5. For an armchair style where the fabric is "framed" by wood, I was thinking this could work to cover and give it a new look (but not if it's the cushy style with fabric everywhere). Anyway, best of luck to you... I love reviving old pieces of furniture like you described (that are made so much better than I can afford new).
    Where did you find spray fabric paint? That sounds like a product I could use. Please, tell me more.

^Inthegarden, The brand is "Simply Spray"; I checked the can, and it lists a website simplyspray dot com (which I just looked at and it has lots of info and ideas). I found it at Hobby Lobby, so I'd bet any of the chain craft stores would carry it.
    Last edited by coltnlasma; 05-08-2012 at 06:14 PM.
    remember to play

I have like the tiny version of the little green machine (looks similar to a dust buster) after my little green machine died at one point and I'll use the hand held attachments on my regular bissel floor cleaner too on furniture. I had a dog with seizures and when he was more mobile we'd occasionally have some issues on furniture. Have to report that when my current dog cut her toe and bled all over my white carpet in her bedroom I used the bissel and regular old cleaner to remove the blood stains the next day and it worked beautifully on even dried in/walked on blood.

It's one of those little appliances I never thought I would ever need but since getting it have used it a lot actually.

I've also used foam to clean furniture too if it's just surface staining on upholstery. Though the last free chair I got I tore down and then used the old fabric as a pattern to cut out new upholstery fabric that I got onsale somewhere. That and a staple gun...anything is possible.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

If you have a hand held steam cleaner, or if you can borrow one, you may find it's perfect for getting rid of the minor stains and that oily sheen/patina on the fabric. For spots like wine and coffee spills/drips Resolve works really well.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I doubt your place is too tiny for a little green machine. It's an itty, bitty unit. Here's a picture I got from a Google image search showing a lady using one to clean inside her car:

They're only $90 at Walmart but that is a lot of money when you don't have much to spare.

I hope the Woolite works for you. Let us know how it does!
    That's still too big for my house. It's not itty bitty enough! Plus, you're right, $90 doesn't often have an "only" in front of it for me lately. Too much to spend for something to clean a free chair!

The style of the chair and how tailored the upholstery is makes it NOT the chair I want to use as a guinea pig for my first time upholstering something myself! It's just too tricky. I'd probably only make things worse. I think it's definitely best left to a pro! I'm usually game for trying something like this, but I know when I'm out of my depth.

This chair really is a diamond in the rough and is SO much better made than any chair I could buy now. In the future, I'll likely have it re-upholstered but, for now, cleaning it with a can or bottle of something is about all I can do. Maybe a slip cover down the line, although I haven't seen many of those that I've liked, especially for this style of chair - it has wooden legs about 5 inches high and I want those legs to be visible - they're nice!

My problem with Resolve is that it leaves a residue that attracts stains. My parents' carpet was ruined after they used it. They kept cleaning the spots with Folex and their steam cleaner (with plain water) and the stains kept coming back because of the Resolve they'd used initially.

I've got my fingers crossed that the Woolite will work. Otherwise, I'll be utilizing some very oddly placed throws! Did I also mention that the slipcover my parents used on it was wine colored chenille that left fuzz all over the chair? OY! A little velcro (and a lot of time!) should solve that problem.

This is starting to sound like an awful lot of work to fix up a chair so my cats have something else to sleep on!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    My problem with Resolve is that it leaves a residue that attracts stains. My parents' carpet was ruined after they used it. They kept cleaning the spots with Folex and their steam cleaner (with plain water) and the stains kept coming back because of the Resolve they'd used initially.
    I use the Resolve Multi-Fabric spray once a year or so on our office chairs and patio chairs (both woven textured poly blends), and the stains don't come back. It's not recommended for silk, velvet, leather, or vinyl.

It's effective and economical for stains like coffee, tea, wine, and kitty messes. It's pretty fast, too. If you want to look at the instructions, you'll find them here:

RESOLVEŽ Multi-Fabric Cleaner & Fabric Upholstery Cleaner | RESOLVEŽ
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

You must live in a tent if something that would fit in a car can't fit in your home!

If your house is too small to bring a steam machine inside, could you not take your furniture outside temporarily to clean it?

Oh, I just thought of something. Is the furniture you're fixing up for a dollhouse? I had assumed it was regular sized furniture for the house you live in.
    Last edited by pikachu; 05-08-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    You must live in a tent if something that would fit in a car can't fit in your home!

If your house is too small to bring a steam machine inside, could you not take your furniture outside temporarily to clean it?

Oh, I just thought of something. Is the furniture you're fixing up for a dollhouse? I had assumed it was regular sized furniture for the house you live in.
    The chair I'm bringing in is replacing one I'm getting rid of, so I'm not adding, I'm trading out. I live in about 800 square feet with VERY little closet space. I actually have NO space left in any closet (I only have two). At all. Not even for some things that should be in the closets.

When you live in a small space, you have to consider every purchase and where it will "live." Because of the lack of storage, bringing in a piece of furniture is actually a lot easier than finding a place in a closet for one more appliance. I already hate the fact that my vacuum doesn't fit in the closet. I love my house, but I really could use a Room of Requirement sometimes.

Renting a steam cleaner just isn't in the budget right now. If the cleaner/foam doesn't work, I'll just use a throw to cover the stains.

Poppy Fields - thanks for the info about Resolve. I'm glad it worked well for you and that you had a good experience with it. I guess I'm just "gun shy" after I saw what their carpet product did in my parents' house. The stains on the chair are on the arms, right where my dad's hands rested - just oils and dirt from skin that accumulated over time. The rest of the chair is fine, aside from the aforementioned red fuzz. It's not as bad as Frazier's dad's chair or anything, but it's still not great. If it didn't have such great "bones," I wouldn't have taken it!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread