+ Reply to Thread
Page 89 of 102 FirstFirst ... 39798081828384858687888990919293949596979899 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: FORTers' consumer reports

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORTers' consumer reports

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4190945;
    I put mine into a small, drawstring, net lingerie bag.
    Another great idea!! How did I not think of any of these things before now? Maybe because I don't have the disappearance problems, I guess.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

My Genie Bra experience

I saw an infomercial for the Genie Bra several months ago and was impressed by how much coverage and support it gave. I frequently overfill bra cups, even though I have gotten a bra fitting so I"m sure I'm getting the right-sized bra. The weight of my boobs tends to make the bra droop, which leads to my boobs popping out the top. The Genie Bra sounded like a solution to that problem.

I noticed Walmart had Genie Bras a few months ago but I didn't have extra money to buy them and I was still skittish abut buying something from an informercial, since I haven't had much luck with those products. Tonight I was at Walmart buying other things and I decided to bite the bullet and buy the bras. They come two to a pack so I didn't have the option to buy one and see how I liked it.

Unfortunately, they soon proved to be no different than any other bras. They sagged in the front, I was spilling over the top, and they didn't give any support. In addition, they come with pads you can slip into the cup for more coverage, as they call it. Meaning that if you don't have those pads in place, your headlights are on full-beam, if you know what I'm saying. The first bra I tried on had one pad in and one out while the other bra had both pads out so it seems pretty apparent that this pack has been opened before.

I'm so disappointed in the Genie Bra! I've had problems for years finding a good fitting bra and I thought this was be the solution but it wasn't.

I have heard about a business in Atlanta that takes your measurements and custom-makes a bra specifically designed for you, and keeps your measurements on file. I can't remember the name of the place, but maybe somebody knows the place I'm talking about. I think I heard about it on Oprah years ago. I'm also sure it's not inexpensive but I would think it would be worth it.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

That goes with reviews I've read about the Genie Bra and Ahh Bra they only give you "lift and support" if your boobies aren't big enough to need any significant lift and support.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

^^^^ Exactly! If you're a perky size B, they're great. Sorry, but I need more, um, infrastructure.
    Ellen, MiaT2 and ClosetRTWatcher like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Lane Bryant has great bras for larger busted women (not a problem I have unfortunately). They're not cheap, but often have a 2 for the price of 1 sale.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I really feel for you, pikachu. The Genie-type bras only work for me as "sleep" bras, holding the girls in place so I don't get those chest crinkles in the A.M. I'm pretty sure no one under 50 has this problem.

I cannot wear bras with straps. They dig into my shoulders, make permanent grooves there, and just plain cause me discomfort (if not actual pain). So, for the past few years I've only worn strapless bras.

There are only a few I've tried that really do the job well: don't hurt, provide great support and a smooth silhouette, don't move from place, don't cost a fortune, and don't wear out in just a few months.

The winner is Maidenform 9455. I don't know if they make them in cup sizes higher than "D." I'm a 36-C, and this bra fits well, supports, looks natural, and is so comfortable I can fall asleep (and stay asleep) while wearing it. It's well constructed with very smooth sides and back. You really can't see its outlines under any kind of top, even something slinky. The cups are molded (but don't give me the "half grapefruit" look), and thick enough that modesty isn't an issue.

And it's super affordable for what it does - like under $30.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 04-11-2012 at 06:46 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Isn't it interesting that you have to find exactly what brand and size really work for you. Most people do have one specific, trusted brand that they rely on. I just don't think you can count on most fitters, so I guess you need to find a fitter who really knows the job.

With bras I find that you get what you pay for & the older you get, the more "infrastructure" you need.

If anyone is looking for a very good, supportive sports bra, I highly recommend the lululemon TaTa Tamer. It's structured so you don't get the dreaded "uni-boob", is cut higher in back so you don't get the nasty lumps that can show thru a snug tshirt, and the straps widen on the shoulders so they don't cut. Expensive, yes, but worth it.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

There's one type of bra that Lane Bryant carries that is pretty much the only one that fits me. They have to special order it for me because I need a smaller band size than they normally carry (36), but they ship to my house for free, so it's a good deal. I find a lot of the bras at LB kind of alarming with those padded cups all hanging on the wall. Really, if the bra is that big, why all the padding?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread