+ Reply to Thread
Page 87 of 106 FirstFirst ... 37777879808182838485868788899091929394959697 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: FORTers' consumer reports

Re: FORTers' consumer reports

My 2003 Whirlpool dryer stopped mid-cycle last Wednesday. Mr. veejer was able to figure out what $25 part was needed, a thermo-something fuse. The lady at the parts store told him to clean the dryer vent as that part goes when it is overheated. Although I religiously clean the lint filter, the 20 foot vent was another story.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;4182755;
    Sugar: Too bad you got a dial tone after being on hold. That is so annoying!

I need to read up on the carbonite, I know she mentions it all the time, and it is on her website. I wonder if you can use it for more than one laptop? / PC? I'm sure it tells you somewhere, I just haven't had a chance to check it out in detail.

Java: What are colour catcher sheets? You got a great deal on the pedestals!
    Carbonite is $55/mo, per computer, as I understand it. Also, if your are signing up now, you get 2 months free whether or not you use the Kim code.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4185242;
    Carbonite is $55/mo, per computer, as I understand it. Also, if your are signing up now, you get 2 months free whether or not you use the Kim code.
    True, you can also enter Sean, Rush, Neal, etc. It lets them know where their advertising dollars are showing up
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Ooops! I made a mistake - Carbonite is $55 a YEAR, not a month as I posted.
    And currently you do get 2 months free when you sign up, no coupon code necessary.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by nennie;4184305;
    The last time I bought a washer/dryer I bought used. Our local appliance store takes the old ones from customers and refurbishes them and I have these longer than the new ones I had to replace. As long as it is running I am not buying a new one of any appliance. That is pure dee wasteful in my books especially in this economy. Our landfills are full of gadgets and appliances that work and could have been given to the needy. I am not a recycler and don't get on a soap box about it but I try my best to give what is good to at least Amvets or Goodwill so they can make use of it.

I would love to have a front loader because I think they are gentler on clothes. I may be wrong.
    I'd argue that our landfills are more full of things that could have been recycled.
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama
    Sounds like it just needs a new heating element - that's happened to me a couple of times over the years, and my husband just buys a new one and puts it in. Doesn't cost much if you DIY.
    I'm sure my dryer could be fixed with the right part, but it's not something I feel confident doing myself and I can't afford to pay anyone to do it. For now, I just hang everything up or run the dryer longer to dry it on cool. It's on the list when my financial situation improves.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Prevent discoloring in the wash - Shout® Color Catcher®

They are like dryer sheets, only thicker. Like Shay, I have no idea HOW they work, they just do. I used them when my son was a baby. You know how they make white clothes with bright red stripes? I used them so the red wouldn't bleed onto the white. It didn't...not once. But it jacked my washer up...
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;4186939;
    They are like dryer sheets, only thicker. Like Shay, I have no idea HOW they work, they just do. I used them when my son was a baby. You know how they make white clothes with bright red stripes? I used them so the red wouldn't bleed onto the white. It didn't...not once. But it jacked my washer up...
    I think a lot of those products solve one problem and create another!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4186891;
    I'd argue that our landfills are more full of things that could have been recycled.

I'm sure my dryer could be fixed with the right part, but it's not something I feel confident doing myself and I can't afford to pay anyone to do it. For now, I just hang everything up or run the dryer longer to dry it on cool. It's on the list when my financial situation improves.
    Critical, I'm going to be in the Bay area next month; get the element and I'll fix it for you
    Seriously, though, it's just a matter of turning the dryer around,using a screwdriver to open the compartmet it's in, and unplugging/plugging back in,just like changing a stove element or heck, a light bulb! If you still have the owner's manual, it probably even has a picture showing you exactly how to do it, but that's not really necessary.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

There are so very many repairs that we can do ourselves, but we tend to be intimidated by the idea. I love to go to Lowe's, or Home Depot and talk to the people there who will be more than happy to talk you through your repair. I always ask them if they think I can do it, and the answer is usually, "Yes!". It's also good to keep a general home repair manual on hand. So far, I have done plumbing stuff, and wiring stuff. Most satisfying! And then I get that strut in my walk!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;4187140;
    Critical, I'm going to be in the Bay area next month; get the element and I'll fix it for you
    Seriously, though, it's just a matter of turning the dryer around,using a screwdriver to open the compartmet it's in, and unplugging/plugging back in,just like changing a stove element or heck, a light bulb! If you still have the owner's manual, it probably even has a picture showing you exactly how to do it, but that's not really necessary.
    Yeah, just what you want to be doing on your vacation - household repairs!

I bought the dryer used, so I don't have the manual. I probably could fix it myself, I'm just feeling lazy and, honestly, it's just one more expense I can't afford. I have a friend who works as a handyman and, if I can find it cheaply enough, he can help me. I just don't want to make matters worse by noodling around on it - at least it still spins! The thing had a 30 day warranty and stipulated that any repairs that needed to be done on it had to be done at their location, i.e. you had to bring it to them! I've had it for three years, so that's out. Not like loading the thing into my little SUV was an option anyway.

+ Reply to Thread