+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 106 FirstFirst ... 36767778798081828384858687888990919293949596 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: FORTers' consumer reports

Re: FORTers' consumer reports

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4183416;
    Color Catchers are wonderful!! They keep any color that has bled off other fabrics from transferring to other clothes. The cloth attracts the color, somehow. And they really work! I haven't studied up enough to understand the mechanism of operation....I just know that it happens! When I use them, I use
    2/load.
    LOVE the concept of them! While I don't have front-loading w/d's, we had to buy a pair for a house we rent, simply due to space. I used them while we were preparing the house, and learned that you can't do "small loads" very well in the front-loaders. So sorting laundry can be a problem!

I'm used to sorting my laundry and adjusting my water level to the load. With front-loaders, even small loads require that you throw in towels or similar heavier items to make the load "balanced." Hence, seperating your colors isn't as simple as they used to be. That's why the Color Catchers were developed.

While working on our rental house I loved the fancy front-loading laundry items we added, I now know that while I covet them like crazy, I realize in a few years my kids will be gone, and then I'll NEVER have enough laundry between my husband and me to justify a load. So, I'm sticking with my old-timey machine at home for now.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm still in the "old-timey" league, too! I won't replace anything until it falls over dead!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4183779;
    I'm still in the "old-timey" league, too! I won't replace anything until it falls over dead!
    I'm with you on that. My washer and dryer are at least 15 years old and every time I use them now it scares me with all this appliance talk that has been going on in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;4183862;
    I'm with you on that. My washer and dryer are at least 15 years old and every time I use them now it scares me with all this appliance talk that has been going on in here.
    I know what you mean! My dryer has already gone kablooey. It spins, but there's no heat. Whenever I wash clothes, the house looks like a Chinese laundry since I have to hang everything up to dry. Can't afford a new - or even a pre-owned - one right now, so I just hang everything and hope the washer stays healthy!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I have a 13 year old Maytag washer that is still running. *fingers crossed*
    I use it in our basement to wash my DH's dirty work clothes. It's a top-loader.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

The last time I bought a washer/dryer I bought used. Our local appliance store takes the old ones from customers and refurbishes them and I have these longer than the new ones I had to replace. As long as it is running I am not buying a new one of any appliance. That is pure dee wasteful in my books especially in this economy. Our landfills are full of gadgets and appliances that work and could have been given to the needy. I am not a recycler and don't get on a soap box about it but I try my best to give what is good to at least Amvets or Goodwill so they can make use of it.

I would love to have a front loader because I think they are gentler on clothes. I may be wrong.

I bought my washer/dryer from Sears waaaay back in 1987! Since there weren't the fancy electronics back then, if something breaks or wears out, my husband simply fixes it

I was told with the new front loading w/d (got all the lights, bells, and whistles), everything is located in the electronic panels...a minimum of $300 to replace! No more "grab the wrench and open her up"!

But I still have my old reliable Kenmores chugging along
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4183868;
    I know what you mean! My dryer has already gone kablooey. It spins, but there's no heat. Whenever I wash clothes, the house looks like a Chinese laundry since I have to hang everything up to dry. Can't afford a new - or even a pre-owned - one right now, so I just hang everything and hope the washer stays healthy!
    Sounds like it just needs a new heating element - that's happened to me a couple of times over the years, and my husband just buys a new one and puts it in. Doesn't cost much if you DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama;4184381;
    Sounds like it just needs a new heating element - that's happened to me a couple of times over the years, and my husband just buys a new one and puts it in. Doesn't cost much if you DIY.
    It sounds like a heating element to me too.
    My dryer was an 1993 model, and we patched and patched until Mr. Ing said, No more...its time for a new one. I just couldn't justify the expense of the front load dryer. One of the local stores had a great deal on a regular dryer so I went with it. It has no bells and whistles and we can do the repairs if needed. I guess I'm crazy, cause I think of what other things I could buy with the extra money. I just want simple appliances that work.
    Besides, the improvements from 1993 model to 2010 was enough for me. .....It has a light when you open the door... and it dries quicker... Now if they make one that will do other house work, dust, vacuum, then I might be swayed.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I justify the expense of a new anything by deciding that I WANT IT!!! I work hard at making my "toys" last, and I deserve it if I want it.

If I don't buy what I really want, I must not really want it that badly. (Thus I have no e-reader!)
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread