+ Reply to Thread
Page 85 of 102 FirstFirst ... 35757677787980818283848586878889909192939495 ... LastLast
Results 841 to 850 of 1019
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: FORTers' consumer reports

  1. #841
    Shark Week! dagwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    salt lake city ut
    Age
    43
    Posts
    18,698

    Re: FORTers' consumer reports

    Desktop for sure. The computer that fried was an HP and I did love it. I am leaning towards that one...I think it is the price that put the others on my radar.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

    Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

  2. #842
    Ellie May SugarMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: FORTers' consumer reports

    Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;4180434;
    I had a power surge and fried my computer. Well more than fried. We are talking fire inside the tower. I cried.

    Anywho, does anyone have any recommendations for a brand? It was an HP and I really liked it. I was also looking at Acer or eMachine. Anyone have any experience with either of those?

    Before anyone recommends a Mac, I am not a Mac person. I want a PC. Also, the work software is not Mac compatible.
    Did you have a backup of your hard drive? Honestly, I took Kim Komando's advice and subscribed to Carbonite.com -- haven't needed it yet, but I've had enough crashes and fried computers in my day to love knowing it's there!

    What's your budget? That's the first place to start, in my opinion. Then, what's your knowledge level of the inner workings of a computer (can you open it up and add what you want)? I've bought referbished towers on eBay for $80 and gotten what I need, and if there are enough expansion slots, RAM expansion, etc., you can really save a lot of money. Once I had a similar situation as yours, and canibalized a lot of things from my "fried" computer (I only lost the power supply, motherboard, and hard drive, but the other things were useful in another tower, like CD/DVD rom drives and card readers). Some of them come with a warranty, too!

    Desktop or laptop? Unless you're into serious gaming online, video editing, and such that require a LOT of RAM and video capability and power, there's absolutely nothing wrong with an Acer or eMachine - a lot of these people buy from the same producers. If you can't repair/replace things yourself by opening up your computer with confidence, if you need someone to do that for you, you have to pay for it, and even then the warranties are short.

    I live on the very end of an electrical line, so power surges and disasters have been a part of my life for many years, and I've learned how to operate and repair on a budget. We finally put in a "whole house" surge protector, but occasionally a lightening strike will, well, strike.

    If you just want to go out and buy a new PC or laptop, I've had good success with HP and Toshiba. I've heard good things about Gateway but negative things about Dell (but I've not used either, so for what it's worth). But with any of them, the warranty is limited, and you'll end up doing things yourself sometimes. But again, unless you're a serious gamer or videographer, in my opinion, go for price because they're all pretty standard.

    Hope you had backup regardless!

    Oh, and I always check out American's Digital Goddess, Kim Komando (fanfare) who has a radio show... lots of good stuff on her website:

    The Kim Komando Show - Free Tips, Downloads, Reviews, Software and Advice for Your Digital Lifestyle

    Good luck!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

  3. #843
    FORT Fogey GuardianAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Niagara Falls Canada
    Posts
    4,586

    Re: FORTers' consumer reports

    Kim Komando is great, I listen to her program all the time. I have an Acer laptop for work, its great, no issues at all. I have Vista on it. I know some people had problems with Vista but I never did, I love it.

    I recently got a Dell laptop for home, with Window's 7, they all seem to come with Windows 7 now, I couldn't find one with Vista. I much prefer Vista than Windows 7, there's always something going wrong that I have to tweek, or change. The latest is if you use IE 64 Bit you can't watch youtube vids, you have to use IE32. Everytime I open the control panel, more times than not, it freezes. I can go on and on, but I'll stop here.

  4. #844
    Resident "tyrant" JavaJo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bedlam
    Posts
    5,985

    Re: FORTers' consumer reports

    I've had my front loader set for six years now. I LOVE it. We got the pedestals because they offered them with a $300 rebate on the pair so we only paid $100 for both of them. I like the extra storage the drawers give you. I keep all of my cleaning rags in one and my table clothes/cloth napkins/place mats in the other. I'm 5'5 and they put the dispenser at neck level for me.

    The only issue I've encountered is with those Color Catcher sheets. They work great, but tend to get stuck somewhere in the washer. My husband has had to take it apart several times to get them because they stop the drum from turning. It's weird. Anyhoo, I've been asked politely (forbidden..lol) not to use them anymore.

    I leave the door open almost all the time. Even if it's just open an inch. They also make these little tablets to clean them. You throw in one tablet and run a wash cycle. I use them when I remember to buy them, when I don't, I just fill the soap compartment with vinegar and run a hot cycle.


    Does anyone have a Keurig? We treated ourselves to one for Christmas and we use it all the time. It's wonderful!
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

  5. #845
    Ellie May SugarMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: FORTers' consumer reports

    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;4181168;
    Kim Komando is great, I listen to her program all the time....
    ARG You'll appreciate this story. You know how she has contests, and how every caller gets a cool "Prize" right? Last time, before Christmas, I was calling and calling and calling and calling into the show AND

    GOT THROUGH! Yessssss! The guy asked me my question for Kim and said, Hold on...." I was wondering what cool prize I'd get (never won a thing in my life). He came back on and said, "Okay, hold on..." I did.

    Then I heard a dial tone. I was cut off. Wasted over 30 minutes of my life and the one chance to talk to a goddess and get a great prize. I got a dial tone.

    For the first time in my life, I learned what "deflated" feels like.

    (I don't blame Kim or her screener, just that crappy thing called "telephone")
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

  6. #846
    FORT Fogey Dragonlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    3,893

    Re: FORTers' consumer reports

    I'm another consumer with only praise for Carbonite. Have had many computer failures for different reasons and the last time, everything was saved because of Carbonite. So worth it to me!

  7. #847
    Shark Week! dagwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    salt lake city ut
    Age
    43
    Posts
    18,698

    Re: FORTers' consumer reports

    Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama;4181079;
    Did you have a backup of your hard drive? Honestly, I took Kim Komando's advice and subscribed to Carbonite.com -- haven't needed it yet, but I've had enough crashes and fried computers in my day to love knowing it's there!

    What's your budget? That's the first place to start, in my opinion. Then, what's your knowledge level of the inner workings of a computer (can you open it up and add what you want)? I've bought referbished towers on eBay for $80 and gotten what I need, and if there are enough expansion slots, RAM expansion, etc., you can really save a lot of money. Once I had a similar situation as yours, and canibalized a lot of things from my "fried" computer (I only lost the power supply, motherboard, and hard drive, but the other things were useful in another tower, like CD/DVD rom drives and card readers). Some of them come with a warranty, too!

    Desktop or laptop? Unless you're into serious gaming online, video editing, and such that require a LOT of RAM and video capability and power, there's absolutely nothing wrong with an Acer or eMachine - a lot of these people buy from the same producers. If you can't repair/replace things yourself by opening up your computer with confidence, if you need someone to do that for you, you have to pay for it, and even then the warranties are short.

    I live on the very end of an electrical line, so power surges and disasters have been a part of my life for many years, and I've learned how to operate and repair on a budget. We finally put in a "whole house" surge protector, but occasionally a lightening strike will, well, strike.

    If you just want to go out and buy a new PC or laptop, I've had good success with HP and Toshiba. I've heard good things about Gateway but negative things about Dell (but I've not used either, so for what it's worth). But with any of them, the warranty is limited, and you'll end up doing things yourself sometimes. But again, unless you're a serious gamer or videographer, in my opinion, go for price because they're all pretty standard.

    Hope you had backup regardless!

    Oh, and I always check out American's Digital Goddess, Kim Komando (fanfare) who has a radio show... lots of good stuff on her website:

    The Kim Komando Show - Free Tips, Downloads, Reviews, Software and Advice for Your Digital Lifestyle

    Good luck!
    No, I didn't have a backup. I kept telling my self to do it but it didn't happen.

    How much is the Carbonite service/ I will most definitely look into it this time around.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

    Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

  8. #848
    Ellie May SugarMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: FORTers' consumer reports

    Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;4181429;
    No, I didn't have a backup. I kept telling my self to do it but it didn't happen.

    How much is the Carbonite service/ I will most definitely look into it this time around.
    I think it's $55 a year, and if you mention Kim as a promo code you get a month or two free. Great thing is, you don't have to remember backing up, it does it all for you! And it's offsite, so if there's theft or a fire or anything like that, you're safe. I used to worry about that because even though at one time I used an external hard drive, what if there were a fire and both were destroyed?
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

  9. #849
    FORT Fogey GuardianAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Niagara Falls Canada
    Posts
    4,586

    Re: FORTers' consumer reports

    Sugar: Too bad you got a dial tone after being on hold. That is so annoying!

    I need to read up on the carbonite, I know she mentions it all the time, and it is on her website. I wonder if you can use it for more than one laptop? / PC? I'm sure it tells you somewhere, I just haven't had a chance to check it out in detail.

    Java: What are colour catcher sheets? You got a great deal on the pedestals!

  10. #850
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    24,351

    Re: FORTers' consumer reports

    Color Catchers are wonderful!! They keep any color that has bled off other fabrics from transferring to other clothes. The cloth attracts the color, somehow. And they really work! I haven't studied up enough to understand the mechanism of operation....I just know that it happens! When I use them, I use
    2/load.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.