+ Reply to Thread
Page 83 of 106 FirstFirst ... 33737475767778798081828384858687888990919293 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: FORTers' consumer reports

Re: FORTers' consumer reports

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;4167177;
    No rinsing dishes? What will they think of next!!!

I had to get a new washer (believe me that's the last thing I wanted to get) After shopping all over the place, I just wanted a normal washer, however most sales people convinced me the newer front load ones are much better. So back to the drawing board, I started searching the new front loaders which I knew nothing about. The savings in water and electricity were a pretty big issue. I decided to get one. After all that research I still had no idea how little water it actually uses. I stood there and watched a whole load being washed. How can your laundry possibly be clean with this type of method, I don't know but it is.

Apparently the one who invented them, says the gravity is what pulls the dirt away. The inside looks and acts more like a dryer, it tumbles. It will take some getting used too, especially the little song it plays when its done.

I'd be interested in hearing from others who have this type of washer.
    Be careful - those washers tend to build up some sort of mildew that leaves a smell on your clothes. They have new cleaners for that - Tide maybe? Not sure but if you google it, I'm sure will find something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35;4167245;
    Be careful - those washers tend to build up some sort of mildew that leaves a smell on your clothes. They have new cleaners for that - Tide maybe? Not sure but if you google it, I'm sure will find something about it.
    That must be why mine came with the recommendation to leave the door open for a little while after doing a wash cycle. Glad to know that. Otherwise, they work beautifully. I love mine...and the washer and dryer come with this stand that they sit on, making them taller so you don't have to bend over as much. It's wonderful for me because I"m only 5'2" and most likely shrinking as we speak.

GuardianAngel I haven't made the switch to front load yet. I did have to buy a new dryer and in my research, talked to the local appliance dealer in my small town. She told me this...yes, they have had problems with odors in the new front load washers and there have been problems with some of the door seals leaking but most problems are easily solved and are created by improper use of the consumer. She said that most people use too much detergent, they still use the same amount as they did w/top load washers, and this will create an odor. She said to start with the amount recommended by the manufacturer instructions and then reduce it. She said that she tells her customers to wipe down the door seal about once a week. Hope this helps and happy washing!

I have a front loader and I LOVE it. It helps to leave the door open for a couple of hours after you've used it. Plus, most brands recommend that you run the machine through a clean cycle once a month. They make cleaners that you can use, or you can just use regular bleach. I put 2/3 of a cup of bleach in the machine's bleach dispenser and run it through the clean cycle. I've never had a problem with mildew or odors. I also check the seal periodically for dirt, hair, lint build-up (I've actually found coins in there ), and I wipe it out.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'd LOVE to have a front loader! I love the idea of the minimal water.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4168768;
    I'd LOVE to have a front loader! I love the idea of the minimal water.
    I think I need to go back to bed. I came into this thread at the end and read this as "I'd LOVE to have a front end loader!" I thought what are they all talking about in here until I went back a few posts!!!

I have an old top loader washing machine and I leave the lid up for a while on that to air it out.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

I have been wiping down the door, and leaving it open. The door is see through plexi glass, and the inside has water residue just like what your shower looks like after a shower.

I didn't get the stand, as it was an extra $200 for that. But I can see how that would be great to have, I'm 5'2" as well, and you do have to bend down a lot. But now that I'm on my own! (son moved out) there really isn't that much laundry compared to before.

Thanks for all the tips!

I didn't get the pedestals because I'm only 5'2". Right now, with it sitting on the floor, the dispenser that you put the soap, bleach, and softener in pulls out right at the level of my ribs. I thought that if I raised the machine up onto the stand, would really have to reach and lift the detergent bottle up to fill the dispenser. So, I saved the money and didn't get one.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Lil Bit: Good point. The last thing I want to do is get on my tippy toes to do laundry. There are enough things in this world that I can't reach!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I don't like the bending that I have to do with the traditional dryers, as it is, and I am short. I love the ideas of the pedestals, which don't appear to be too high. I hate the idea of having to pay extra for the pedestals, though, but I'd (begrudgingly) do it; I'd seriously be talking them down off that ridiculous price, though. I'm all about the dickering.

I need recommendations on really good dish washer detergents.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread