+ Reply to Thread
Page 81 of 106 FirstFirst ... 31717273747576777879808182838485868788899091 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: FORTers' consumer reports

Re: FORTers' consumer reports

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;4133869;
    Alberta's sales tax is 5 percent: they have oil.
    No sales tax, actually. Just the 5% GST.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I didn't see anything in this thread about general household cleaners. A friend has just purchased a house and was asking for recommendations for surfaces that she didn't jave in her previous homes. That is, what cleaners are best for Hardwood Floors, Stainless steel, granite/marble, Corian, wood cabinet doors, etc.

I love 409 Natural Stone Cleaner for granite and Bona products for the Hardwood floors. Any agreement or other ideas, suggestions here ?
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

MRD

Murphy's oil soap for wood. I swear by the stuff.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4146424;
    Murphy's oil soap for wood. I swear by the stuff.
    I use that on my wood floor too. I bought an empty squirt bottle and put Murphy's and water in it, about 1:3 ration (3 times the water to Murphy's). Spray it on my wood floor and then use my Swiffer to mop it up. Quick and easy and makes my floor shine.

FORT Fogey

Echo -- for Corian I use Windex. The mfr recommends an ammonia-based cleaner. If your friend also has a Corian sink, I use BonAmi on it most of the time. Once in a while you are supposed to use a bleach/water solution.
    Corian also has special buffers which your friend may find on the internet.

Thanks all.

Appreciate the tip on Windex. I used to use that on Formica as well. I can't use ammonia on granite so I wasn't sure about Corian and she has a combination, I think. Granite/marble in at least one bath and Corian in the kitchen. I found some of the Method (Target) products work pretty well on some things but I was told they tend to "cloud" granite.

As for the Murphy's oil soap ... you all are talking about the "original" concentrated product that you mix with water, and not the stuff that comes in spray bottle, correct? ( I admit I do use the latter for quick jobs and touch ups.)

For stainless, I've been using Weiman's wipes ... or just microfibre cloths wet or dry.
    Last edited by echo226; 01-13-2011 at 05:52 PM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

We use Bona products in the houses we clean and I'm a fan of it.

I haven't cleaned many houses with Corian counters - maybe only one house, but I love how easily they do come clean. It's probably what I would pick to put in my house if I ever had an option I was that thrilled with those counters. I used Clorox Bleach spray since that's what the client had to use. I don't know if it's recommended or not but it sure worked.

Don't forget Eraser sponges...they are great for removing soap scum on showers, shower doors and tubs.
    * Be sure and read the box, you can't use them on all surfaces.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

We use dampened microfiber cleaning coth on everything but computer/TV screens. They do an amazing job on everything from stovetop, to floors and windows. Toss them in the wash when grimy (no fabric softener).

Reusable, no detergents necessary. Very green.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4147945;
    We use dampened microfiber cleaning coth on everything but computer/TV screens. They do an amazing job on everything from stovetop, to floors and windows. Toss them in the wash when grimy (no fabric softener).

Reusable, no detergents necessary. Very green.
    Yes, we love microfiber cloths. They clean mirrors really well. I don't even use windex or anything anymore. Streak free is much easier with a microfiber. They just pick up the dirt. They're really good on frig door handles too and any surfaces that are grainy like those can be. The microfiber just gets into the surfaces like nothing I've ever tried.

+ Reply to Thread