+ Reply to Thread
Page 77 of 102 FirstFirst ... 27676869707172737475767778798081828384858687 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: FORTers' consumer reports

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORTers' consumer reports

I've had a smooth-top since 1999, and have had no troubles with cracking or scratching. They are tougher than you think.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Bah. Accidentally erased over my original response.

I'm a former gas snob. Now that I've been in rentals with smooth-top electrics, I'll never go back if I can help it.

None broke, none scratched. Just be sure to use proper cleaners on the top, and don't store cast iron skillets above them!

We purchased our current one used to use in place of the coil the landlord had in here. If you buy used, just be sure you get one with a digital oven temp control. I totally forgot about that and ours has a dial control - not nearly as accurate as the digital controls.

Good luck!

By the way, did a quick look at our local Craigslist ads out of curiosity. Someone is selling a GE model that we've had before for $125.00 You can get excellent deals on used ones on Craigslist.
    Last edited by Fierce Critter; 09-24-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Added a note.

I just got a donated smooth top. What cleaners can I use on it?
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

There are special cleaners for the smooth cooktops. You should be able to find something at your grocery store or someplace like Lowe's. Just ask, and I'm sure somebody can pint you straight to it. I also keep a single-edged razor blade around to help. It does not leave scratches, either. And I have had no trouble with the gurls jumping up on it while it's on.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Thanks for the help and the info on cleaning.

FORT Fogey

I bought a Fridgidaire smooth top about 6 months ago. It has three "burners" in the back; the middle one is a "keep warm zone." Very handy. The front two burners are both "convertible" to one of two sizes and are "quick boil." The big thing is your pot bottoms have to be really smooth and they do recommend not to use glass or corningware pots on the stovetop. The cleaners are available in Bed,Bath&Beyond and now a lot of supermarkets. There are special cleaning pads which work very well; bought mine in the grocery store. Pads made by Weiman I believe, which also is one of the cleaner brands.

The oven is regular/convection. It has three racks and the bottom burner is hidden which makes cleaning a heck of a lot cleaner. The middle rack is secured to the door (optional, I guess) so when you pull something out you don't have to reach in. The top rack folds over in case you have something tall. It has "hi" ahd "lo" broil. The oven is, of course, self-clean and it has a huge window.

There are dials for the cook top; the oven operations are all touch-pad.

For the same money it had more features than GE. I got it in Lowe's. If you want the model number, just PM me.

Good luck!! I really like mine and it is not hard to keep clean and shiny.

I use the flat top cleaners too but for in between times I like using the Mr Clean magic eraser. You have to use a little scrubbing power with it but it gets the stuff off and no scratches.
    Choices are the hinges of destiny.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4068587;
    I just got a donated smooth top. What cleaners can I use on it?

Gutmutter: see my post #766. The cleaner I have is "CeramaBryte" and I am pleased with it. Website: Cerama Bryte is the #1 ceramic cooktop cleaner in the world

There are special cleaning pads made by Weiman. I got them in the grocery store in a 3-pack. You can use them over and over again. If you don't want to buy the cleaning pads, you can use clean rags or paper towels.

No corning ware or glass pots should be used, and if the pot is not flat-bottomed, it dances around the stove. Hope this helps.

Thanks! I can not figure out the digital oven. I've cooked on the stovetop, but don't see how to set the temp. on the oven. I'll have to search it on line unless someone here can tell me. Or I can ask the woman who gave it to me.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

Gut -- you might call or e-mail the manufacturer with the model# and see if they send you a manual. Might cost a couple of bucks, but then you will be able to use the digital oven. Or, take a picture of it and maybe I can help you figure it out.

I'm willing to exchange e-mail addresses with you if you want to attach it to an e-mail.

columbia

+ Reply to Thread