+ Reply to Thread
Page 76 of 106 FirstFirst ... 26666768697071727374757677787980818283848586 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: FORTers' consumer reports

Re: FORTers' consumer reports

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;4034925;
    I think people would have to be logged on to the FoRT to read it here.
    Yep - that is probably right! How do I get the word out here? I have a link to the posterious blog as well as the actual blog itself. I want people to view it - I have 210 so far!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta;4033528;
    I saw a small conversation about Magic Jack on here about a year ago...has anyone else tried it since then?
    I am curious about Magic Jack, too, and have never seen anybody complaining about it. I also have questions. I want to know if you have to change your landline phone number to the one they issue you. I have a great phone number, and don't like to think about losing it. I am still curious about the gizmo.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Mattel is marketing a toy broomstick in its Harry Potter line that is raising eyebrows.

The Harry Potter Nimbus 2000, for sale since October of 2001, is marketed to 8—to 12-year-old children. A toy replica of the broomstick Harry Potter uses in the movie Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, the Nimbus 2000 is, according to at least one mother, providing a little too much stimulation.

Quoting from the editorial review posted on the Amazon.com Web site, “Kids can now ‘fly’ a Nimbus 2000 broomstick just like member of their favorite Quidditch team.”

“The Nimbus 2000 features a grooved stick and handle for easy riding. Enhancing the excitement are the vibrating effects and magical swooping and whooshing sounds the broom makes when on. Sounds can also be activated when the switch is set in standby mode. Requires three AA batteries (included),” reviewer Larry White adds.

A check of other online toy stores shows that description to be accurate.

Sarah Rosales, Vice President of Public Relations for Mattel's Entertainment Division said, “Our intent in creating the Nimbus 2000 Flying Broomstick was to bring the magic of the fictional ”Harry Potter“ tale to life for children. The toy was created to mimic the effect of flying and uses batteries to produce swooshing sound effects.”

“At Mattel, the well-being of children is always our top priority.”

Rosales added that Mattel “does not consider the toy inappropriate” adding that they “apologize that some parents may consider it to be [inappropriate], but that was not the company's intention.”

Customer reviews of the toy are mixed. A reviewer identified as “A toy enthusiast from New Jersey” described her shock when she purchased the toy for her daughter last Christmas.

“It wasn’t until after she opened her gift and started playing with it that I realized that the toy may offer a more than sensational experience. The broomstick has cute sound effects and ***VIBRATES*** when they put it between their legs to fly,” she wrote on December 26, 2001.

“Come on — what were the creators of this toy thinking? She’ll keep playing with the Nimbus 2000, but with the batteries removed,” she added.

Other reviewers were apparently not as quick on the uptake. “Ashley” from Texas is one who found nothing unusual with the toy.

“My 12-year-old daughter is a big Harry Potter fan, and loved the part with the Nimbus 2000, so I decided to buy her this toy,” Ashley wrote on June 11, 2002. “Even my daughter’s friends enjoy playing with this fun toy. I was surprised at how long they can just sit in her room and play with this magic broomstick!!”

Other reviewers seemed to be simply clueless. “Poola13” from Ohio noted how popular the toy was with his/her 12-year-old daughter and her friends. Poola13 added in the June 11, 2002, review that, “they play for hours in her bedroom with this great toy. They really seem to like the special effects it offers (the sound effects and vibrating). My oldest daughter (17) really likes it too!”

Now, given the growing attention this toy is receiving on various Internet message boards, that last message is likely a tongue-in-cheek posting, however the first question remains true, “What WERE the creators of this toy thinking?”

Calls to Mattel were not returned by press time.
    Count your blessings!

Sorry, doubled up again.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4045424;
    Mattel is marketing a toy broomstick in its Harry Potter line that is raising eyebrows....“What WERE the creators of this toy thinking?”...
    Well, given that big corporations have their eggs in many baskets and fingers in many pies (maybe they own or have a share in something like Adam & Eve or whatever), they're probably cultivating future customers for the latest "Mr. D-Cell": Hermione's Magic Wand.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

This is hilarious!!! One way or the other, life happens.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4036360;
    I am curious about Magic Jack, too, and have never seen anybody complaining about it. I also have questions. I want to know if you have to change your landline phone number to the one they issue you. I have a great phone number, and don't like to think about losing it. I am still curious about the gizmo.
    From what I can tell, you do have to give up your landline number. They are suppose to have it in the works that you can carry your number over, but from what I am reading...that has been "in the works" for a long time. I still haven't bitten the bullet and tried Magic Jack. I have no idea why I am waiting. I think it is the thought of not having the landline, although many of my friends just use cell phones and say they don't miss the landline at all. My main reason for wanting it is, our oldest will be shipped overseas in a few months and I want to see if it works, get any bugs ironed out if there are any, then possibily get him set up with one before he ships out. It has gotten good reviews from some of the deployed military service people that are using it.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

My husband uses majic jack for work, but he has to have it plugged into a PC that is running for it to work. Turn off the computer and he doesn't have a phone.
    I don't know what the other options are.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

So, if the electricity goes out (I have a desktop) you are without phone service, I guess.

My cooktop is in the process of dying a slow death and I'm going to have to replace it soon. I have an electric coil, 4 burner cooktop. I've been reading and comparing until I'm crosseyed. I would love a gas cooktop, but have to stay with electric. I've looked at the smooth top, but I'm afraid of it (cracking or scratching). I've read that they are going to stop making the coil in a few more years. I would like more burners and one that will cook evenly in a 12" pot/ skillet. I need some suggestions. Thanks everyone.

+ Reply to Thread