+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 106 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: FORTers' consumer reports

MRD

Re: FORTers' consumer reports

Miss Kitty, I was told by a nutritionist that I was better off eating the fruits and veggies instead of converting them into juice. She said it has to do with the glycemic index and the amount of time it takes your body to digest the food and let the sugars enter the bloodstream more slowy. With juice, the sugars enter the bloodstream much more quickly and can cause other problems like spikes and drops in your blood sugar which can cause you to actually eat more than you should. Eating the fruit and letting your digestion work as it's supposed to helps keep your blood sugar on a more even keel which is much better for us healthwise and helps also in losing weight and helps control your appetite.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm not a juice drinker, never have been. Would much rather eat a fruit or a veggie than drink one, I guess.

I do recall an old friend of mine, though, who did go out and buy a juicer. I remember him telling us that he thought it might be a healthy thing to do. That is until he went to the market and spent a small fortune on the fruits and veggies just to make a drink! So it might just be cheaper to eat the fruits and veggies rather than drink them.

You also lose many nutrients when juicing. Carrots literally lose their nutritional value after an hour or so of juicing.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Since my washer and dryer are going on 20 years old we've decided that it may be time to start shopping for a new set. I want to get a front loading washer. So I'd like some FORT reviews on different brands. My old set are Maytag's but I've heard some bad things about the brand since Whirlpool took over. I've read good reviews of Kenmore, LG and Frigidair too, but I don't know much about any of them. I could use some help. Thanks.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kenmore used to be built by Whirlpool for Sears. LG is a "normal" good brand, same as Frigidaire. Not really sure if one is better than the other. Names really mean nothing these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3553064;
    Since my washer and dryer are going on 20 years old we've decided that it may be time to start shopping for a new set. I want to get a front loading washer. So I'd like some FORT reviews on different brands. My old set are Maytag's but I've heard some bad things about the brand since Whirlpool took over. I've read good reviews of Kenmore, LG and Frigidair too, but I don't know much about any of them. I could use some help. Thanks.
    We bought a set of LGs recently at Sears. We had a nightmarish experience with the salespeople shortly afterward because the power cable that came with the dryer was not long enough, but that is another story! We have ours stacked and it works really well for us because we have very limited space in our utility room. It is much easier to get to the water softener now! Stacking also avoids any need for those pedestals that they typically stand on if they are placed side-by-side; those things are pricey!

The dryer is absolutely fantastic, I have NO complaints. The washer I am more mixed about. It does do a great job washing. However, starting a couple of months after we had it it started to get a mildew smell to it. Not the clothes, the washer itself. Apparently this is a VERY common problem with consumer grade front loading washers. We also live in the midwest, where is gets rather humid in the summer and that makes it harder to get things to dry out quickly. I am still playing around with it, but we seem to be able to control it by making sure the rubber ring where the door seals get wiped out regularly. It folds over a bit so you need to make sure nothing small gets trapped in it - I have never had any clothing items get in there, but bits of paper or wrappers that the kids leave in their pockets do get stuck there. Also, leave the door open when not in use to air out. And there is a cleaning cycle on it that does a very good job. If I had known that this would be a possible issue, I might have given more consideration to the "appliance repair plans" that they are always trying to pitch when you get to the register. Not completely sure if I would have gone ahead and purchased it, but I would have thought about it.

ETA: When I was investigating the mildew issue I saw some sporadic complaints about leaks. I am guessing a lot of these came from people who were not using front loader detergent. Make sure you get some with the "He" symbol on the package! When we got ours, the thought hadn't even crossed my mind so as soon as they were ready to use I had to make a quick run to the store for the right kind.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 07-09-2009 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks ClosetRTWatcher. I came across some info about the mildew problems while doing some research online. It said to wipe out the seal and also leave the door open. Also that there are some kind of cleaning tablets on the market for this purpose but that people have had luck using dishwasher detergent too.

As for the HE detergent, at the last place we went to look at washers the I asked the salesperson about that and she said that she owns a front loader and that she uses regular detergent and doesn't have any problems. I've heard from others that since the high efficiency washers use less water that the regular soaps suds too much.

We are planning on doing quite a bit of looking before we actually buy anything and I've been reading up on the different brands and styles. I still like hearing from people who actually own them and what they've experienced.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Lil Bit - please be sure you do use HE detergent. A bit of online research will reveal stories of folks who had costly repair bills associated with not using the proper detergent. And yes, wipe out the rubber gasket around the washer door occasionally and leave the door ajar to prevent mold/mildew.
    I have front loading washer and dryer - Frigidaire. Love them! The stackable platform was about $200 each - so my husband just built one big platform that holds both for a fraction of that. My set is in the basement, so we didn't require anything fancy. I suppose if we needed it to be dressed up, it would have been simple to do.

Thanks Ana. Like I said, the only person who has said that you can use regular detergent is the sales person who was really pushing for a sale. I kept telling her that we were absolutely NOT buying anything that day but she was very persistent. She actually followed me to the door still giving her sales pitch and I thought for a minute that she was going to grab my arm to stop me from going out the door.

My husband is planning on building some kind of platform for them. Any of the washers I've seen in the stores that were sitting on the platforms were a bit too high for me. (I'm a bit too short) Some were so high that I had to really get on my tip toes to even see in the little drawer that comes out that you put the detergent in. And I don't really need the drawers that are in most of the platforms because my laundry area is fairly large with plenty of cupboards and storage.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Didn't we have this exact discussion in this thread ""X" amount of pages back, or am I thinking about another product?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread