+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 106 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: FORTers' consumer reports

Re: FORTers' consumer reports

I'm late but...had a Kenmore refridge for 15 yrs. and loved it. Mr. ING did all the repair work, which was 2 ice makers and thats it. The parts are easy to get. No problems. We finally wore it out and replaced it last year with a Frigdaire. All my other kitchen appliances, as well as my vac are Kenmore. They are 11 yrs. and no repairs yet. So good luck and Happy Shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3417316;
    Thanks for the input, guys . I've discussed with Mr. Rattus and we have decided to go with the Kenmore fridges (that's right - he needs his own fridge for beer) and stove. I've already picked the one I want and am kind of excited by the idea of buying new appliances.
    I think Mr. Rattus is on to something there.

My stove is a Kenmore. In November of 2008, Thanksgiving day to be exact, the oven went out. I stopped in a local appliance repair shop, told the lady what was going on. I was told that my computer was going out. I get home and call Sears. Tell them what I need. $170 for new computer and another $20 for a new over lay. Almost $200 to repair a stove that cost just over $400. Biggest kicker...the stove was 3 years old in January of this year. It lasted exactly 34 months. I did repair it, as when it is working, I love this stove. The main thing I learned from the repair lady. NEVER boil anything that creates steam near the back computer system, only boil on the front coils. The steam ruins the computer and it ruins it fast. She also told me, when buying a stove don't get the oven settings and the clock all in one control. Make sure there are two seperate display sections. She said this will keep the cost down as it is usually just the oven control that goes out. That way you aren't paying to replace the clock also. Which I did have to do as mine is all one piece.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

I have a Kenmore flat top stove about 5 years old and never have had a problem. Love the self-cleaning feature. I also had a Kenmore washer/dryer for about 13 years and eventually sold it..only a few very minor repairs during that time. Our applicances are on Service Guard offered through our gas provider and I just love having that peace of mind.

We have a small dorm fridge just for beverages. It comes in handy during parties too.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3417479;
    I think Mr. Rattus is on to something there.
    I don't want to imply that he's a particularly heavy drinker , but he has his own basement microbrewery so he needs a place for his product. Plus the guys in his band both drink their own particular brands, so we need to have room for the Milwaukee Light for the guitarist and the assorted imported beers for the bassist and I just don't have room for it all beside my yogurt and fruit.

Thanks for the info about the computer in the stove, Melitta. That's something I will bear in mind when picking a stove. Honestly, I would rather not buy anything with a computer in it, but I gather that appliances with minimal bells and whistles are becoming increasingly rare.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Rattus, the lower priced ones have less 'junk' on them. My Mom just got a new oven, and of course dad bought a fairly high priced one--I hate all the different modes, timers, etc that have to be keyed in. I much prefer my plain old stove/oven combo, which does have a digital display, but otherwise has the knobs and dials I've been used to for nearly 50 years. AND the cheapie model (though not THE lowest price in the store) has a 5 cubic foot oven as opposed to 4 to 4.5 ft. , which very few of the expensive ones have.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Rattus, we used to have a "beer fridge" for the very same reasons you mentioned. Mr. Rosie has quit brewing his own beer, but wants to start up again.

Be careful of the digital readouts and such. Had a friend with a stove like that and when turning off the timer when it went off, it always turned off the damn oven too which was a pain when an hour later, whatever was in there, still was not done because the oven turned off.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta;3417606;
    The main thing I learned from the repair lady. NEVER boil anything that creates steam near the back computer system, only boil on the front coils. The steam ruins the computer and it ruins it fast. She also told me, when buying a stove don't get the oven settings and the clock all in one control. Make sure there are two seperate display sections. She said this will keep the cost down as it is usually just the oven control that goes out. That way you aren't paying to replace the clock also. Which I did have to do as mine is all one piece.
    Thanks for that tip! We are unfortunately about to buy our 3rd range in 2 years and I wouldn't want to do anything that would make it a 4th (or a need to repair the 3rd) any time soon!
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3419707;
    Be careful of the digital readouts and such. Had a friend with a stove like that and when turning off the timer when it went off, it always turned off the damn oven too which was a pain when an hour later, whatever was in there, still was not done because the oven turned off.
    I have done this many times in the past! Mr Nerd is very good about reminding me when he sees me doing it now.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

We have digital controls on our stove too and I had a problem with this at first until I learned that I don't have to actually turn off the timer when it beeps. It shuts off automatically. I have tried to shut off the timer before the time has expired and that always shuts off the oven too.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread