+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 106 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465105 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: FORTers' consumer reports

FORT Fogey

Re: FORTers' consumer reports

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;3276157;
    Love my Maytag washer and dryer. My dryer is now 10 years old. My dishwasher is a Maytag, and it is "ok"..doesnt do the best job drying the dishes and it is loud. My first Maytag dishwasher lasted maybe one year, when it started leaking around the door seal. Not sure which brand dishwasher Id go with next.
    I've never had one myself, but everyone I've ever known who had a GE dishwasher LOVED it, and would never have any other kind. I had one friend who, when building a new house, made her husband take the brand new non-GE dishwasher out of their house and replace it with her old, used GE dishwasher from their old house (putting the brand new one in the old house for the new buyer) because she could not imagine using any other brand.

One other thing I know about dishwashers -- when the time comes that I do have to buy one, I am going to get one with the time delay start on it. When I first saw that feature, I thought it was the silliest thing ever. But I've been able to see how its used staying at my sister's or friend's homes, and it ROCKS! That you can set your dishwasher after dinner to run after you've gone to bed, when all the glasses and last dishes to be used in the day are in there instead of sitting in the sink waiting is just a gift from the magical appliance land.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3276178;
    One other thing I know about dishwashers -- when the time comes that I do have to buy one, I am going to get one with the time delay start on it. When I first saw that feature, I thought it was the silliest thing ever. But I've been able to see how its used staying at my sister's or friend's homes, and it ROCKS! That you can set your dishwasher after dinner to run after you've gone to bed, when all the glasses and last dishes to be used in the day are in there instead of sitting in the sink waiting is just a gift from the magical appliance land.
    We LOVE the time delay feature too. I used to constantly load the dishwasher and then wait to start it because we'd be watching something in the next room and dishwasher noise would sometimes interfere. Of course, many times, I forgot to start the dishwasher and woke up to dirty dishes! After about three years (dishwasher was here when we bought the house) I discovered the time delay and have rarely used any other setting! It IS a gift from magical appliance land.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Going to see if we have time delay. The noise isn't the problem, but apparantly the dishwasher only gets started when someone is taking a shower and then you have no water pressure in the shower. I hate turning it off and then forgetting about it and then we have no clean spoons or forks or whatever because I forgot to turn it back on.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Kinda of off topic, but didn't know where to ask.....can a bathing suit be altered so it fits if it's too large? I have a nice one piece and I've lost weight and was wondering if a tailor would have the right sewing machine for that kind of stretchy material? Any seemstresses out there? Any one ever tried to fix a bathing suit?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;3282747;
    Kinda of off topic, but didn't know where to ask.....can a bathing suit be altered so it fits if it's too large? I have a nice one piece and I've lost weight and was wondering if a tailor would have the right sewing machine for that kind of stretchy material? Any seemstresses out there? Any one ever tried to fix a bathing suit?
    I think a Serger machine would do the trick. I have a co-worker who is a big sewer and she has used a Serger to do a lot of costume-type work for her kids that involved very stretchy material. I would expect a tailor/seamstress to have this type of machine. I would just jump in and call one and ask one if they can do the job!

My neighbor says that you should definitely find a seamstress to do the alteration for you. It's a tricky thing with bathing suits and you need to take the time to really make it work right.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Misskitty with stretchy fabrics like lycra it's all in the needle, the stitch and the thread... for best results take it to a seamstress for sure.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Thanks all for your suggestions. I think I will take it in to an alteration place that will have a serger. It's a very nice suit, that I think I put on once. But since I had lost weight, it needs adjusting in the straps, and the sides.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I thought we had a discussion going in here about Smooth Away/Smooooth Legs. I just got mine in the mail.. but I shaved my legs yesterday so I won't have a chance to use it for a while. I tested it out on my arm and I didn't find that it got rid of everything maybe it has something to do with the fact that the hair there isn't as coarse. I don't think I used it wrong (I watched the video) What did you guys think of it? I'm hoping it performs better on legs and underarms.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3391511;
    I thought we had a discussion going in here about Smooth Away/Smooooth Legs. I just got mine in the mail.. but I shaved my legs yesterday so I won't have a chance to use it for a while. I tested it out on my arm and I didn't find that it got rid of everything maybe it has something to do with the fact that the hair there isn't as coarse. I don't think I used it wrong (I watched the video) What did you guys think of it? I'm hoping it performs better on legs and underarms.
    I remember this discussion, but I cannot remember what thread it was in!! I think epilators also came up in that discussion. I took the plunge and decided to get one of the new generation of epilators to see how they work. After reading lots of reviews this is the one I got:
    Bed Bath & Beyond - Braun Silk Epil® X''elle

The first time I used it I had not shaved or waxed in quite a while, and it actually made me catch my breath. It was not comfortable! HOWEVER, since then I have used it regularly with little-to-no discomfort. After the first time the hair growth is much more sparse, so it isn't bad at all. I did legs and underarms with the same results. I still run over my legs with a razor before wearing shorts or skirt because, as with waxing, there are stray hairs that get missed. It definitely would have been easier if I had gotten the areas waxed and then started using the epilator after that, but the whole point of getting the epilator was to help avoid the high cost of waxing!!

Overall I highly recommend this product for people who like the results of waxing and do not find it to be a torturous procedure!

+ Reply to Thread