+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263103 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: FORTers' consumer reports

Re: FORTers' consumer reports

I had a Dyson and I loved it. I even posted about it in this thread. It is excellent in picking up pet hair and a great machine - however, it just wouldn't suck up the cat litter sufficiently. It improved a bit when I used it on the hard floor setting, but still didn't do the job completely. Finally got rid of it and went back to Hoover. It just became too much trouble to use one vacuum for the house and another vacuum for the room the cat box is in, and the hallway that always got the leftover litter from their paws.

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;3250546;
    I think in a couple of years you will still be pleases. A couple of our clients have Dysons and we really like them. I know for sure that the one we've used for 2 years now and it's still working great. Also my boss has one that she uses at her own home and they have 3 indoor cats. She's started taking it places with us and it's still great. She dropped it down a flight of steps two weeks ago. A small part of the handle broke, but it was still running when I got to it to pick it up. For me they are a little heavy but other than that I really like the ones I've used.
    I'm glad to hear from someone who knows how they run long-term! We have four kids and two very large dogs (160 lbs and 110 lbs), so vacuuming is pretty much a daily requirement in our home!!

Okay, I've discussed my appliance need in this thread before and based primarily upon the discussion herein and subsequent research based on said discussion, I have decided against purchasing the Maytag Gemini stove (too bad really - it's a fantastic idea). So I would like to hear how everybody feels about their comparatively modern stoves, good or bad. I don't really need to hear any reports on older models because I know they were built better and last longer (a pox upon the modern bottom-line manufacturer) and you really can't trust that their makers are still doing a good job.

So opine away .

ETA: Forgot to mention, I'm interested in electric stoves.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3252587;
    So I would like to hear how everybody feels about their comparatively modern stoves, good or bad.
    I have an electric stove with a ceramic cooktop (continuous flat surface rather than coiled burners). I think it is a GE. We bought it shortly after we bought our home, so it is about 8 yrs old. We have had no trouble with it at all. I love the flat surface because it is easy to clean and I can use it like a countertop since I have limited counter space. The only caveat I would add is that you need to stay on top of the cleaning. If stuff gets burned on it takes forever to scrub it off. We do stick with the cleaner that is specifically for the ceramic cooktop - it doesn't take much so a bottle lasts us quite a while.

I have an electric ceramic top also - it came with the house, and we've been in it for 14 years, so I'm not sure how old it is. But as far as stuff getting stuck on it - my husband just gets a straight razor blade and scrapes it off and then I use the ceramic top cleaner. It works great. I do like how nice and clean it looks all the time, but I really don't like cooking on electric. If I could find a smooth top gas range, I'd be first in line to buy it!! (Assuming I could talk my hubby into it, of course.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3252587;
    Okay, I've discussed my appliance need in this thread before and based primarily upon the discussion herein and subsequent research based on said discussion, I have decided against purchasing the Maytag Gemini stove (too bad really - it's a fantastic idea). So I would like to hear how everybody feels about their comparatively modern stoves, good or bad. I don't really need to hear any reports on older models because I know they were built better and last longer (a pox upon the modern bottom-line manufacturer) and you really can't trust that their makers are still doing a good job.

So opine away .

Mine is a Kenmore from Sears. 2 huge burners and 2 small burners on the top, large oven, self cleaning, window in door of oven, digital programming, all the bells and whistles. It will be 3 years old in January. We had to replace the oven probe a couple of weeks ago. Now the computer itself is going out. Depending on the price of the computer, we will either fix it or trade it in at a used appliance shop here in town and I am going back to less bells and whistles as my plain jane before this one lasted 13 years. Very disappointed in Kenmore!
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

FORT Fogey

I have a Maytag with the electric ceramic cooktop, and I LOVE it. In fact, I had essentially the same model in my first house, and when I wanted to buy a new one for my current house (to get rid of the gas stove that I HATED) I got exactly the same model again. So I can say I loved mine so much I bought it twice! I agree with what has already been said about the ease of cleaning the cooktop as long as you do it regularly. I love that if something splatters of boils over, I dno't have to prepare to take apart the entire stove to clean it up. I've heard complaints on SOME ceremaic tops depending on the brand of it taking a while to heat up. But my Maytag has never been a problem. The one I have is the one in the $499 price range at Home Depot. It has all the features I would want in an oven / stove, and is easy to use. I know that they also have some that are a little more fancy with features like burners that can be set to different sizes, etc if you want a little more.

For baking purposes, the other thing I really like about the Maytag is that their oven coil has an extra turn in it. When I bought my first one, the guy told me that it was a good feature because it kept the heat in the oven more even throughout the space. It sounded silly to me when he told me that, but having used it, I can actually say that I do notice it making a difference for the better.

Hmmmm. Now I'm rethinking my decision to not get the Gemini. Based on ClosetRT's opinion on her GE, I looked up some reviews on other GE stoves, most of which seemed to be positive, and it turns out that GE also has a double oven (I really, really want one), but they are quite a bit more expensive than the Maytag. And based on your realtor's undefined opinion of a couple of years ago, Veruka, and some subsequent research into Maytag in general, I had decided against the Maytag. But I've been doing more opinion hunting, and the Gemini reviews seem to be overall positive nowadays. I'm definitely getting the ceramic top, but beyond that I am sooooo confused. What is comes down to the most is I want something simple (like Melitta, I am not fond of bells and whistles - too many things to go wrong), with an accurate temperature gauge, and built to last. My last stove was built in 1950, was gorgeous, and still works. I would still be using it but it was too large for our current kitchen.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I never owned a Maytag appliance until recently. A few months ago I needed to buy a new portable dishwasher and ended up buying a Maytag from Sears. It had mostly positive reviews with a few negative sprinkled in. My knowledge of Maytag before this was limited to the commercials about how long-lasting they are - no one has to call the Maytag repair man!! Unfortunately no more than 6 months after buying this dishwasher, I have had to call the repair man. No charge to us since it was new and under the manufacturers warranty, but I still find it ridiculous that it completely broke down so soon (a part in the motor had to be replaced). At this point, I just hope it is not a sign of things to come! Veruka - I'm glad you have had better luck with Maytag than I have!!

I love, love, love Cogergirl Lash Blast mascara! My lashes are long so I don't need the length but I sure do like th volume! I find that I am replacing my tube every 3 months though because it does get 'flakey' and I don't use it everyday (maybe twice a week)

I tried Covergirl Lip Stain - it's like a marker for your lips. It's not like lipstick, it's sheer and matte, it almost looks like your lips are that colour! It was about $6. It stays on much longer than gloss or lipstick and it's dry so your hair won't blow into it.

Lipcolor :: CoverGirl Outlast Lipstain is different than a lipstick!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread