+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 106 FirstFirst ... 35363738394041424344454647484950515253545595 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: FORTers' consumer reports

Re: FORTers' consumer reports

Margaritaville - Thanks for your reply. I have a Maytag washer too, and mine is doing the very same thing as yours! I distribute the clothes evenly, and it always goes off balance...shutting the machine off when it does so. It's irritating! Is yours a top-loader, too?
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

And speaking of Maytag, does anyone have, or know anyone who has, the Maytag Gemini Double Oven stove? I really, really want one, but the negative reviews on the Maytag washer are discombobulating me a little and now I'm second guessing myself.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

I've had the opposite experience with my washers. When I had a GE, I had problems with keeping it balanced. Now I have a Maytag (inherited from my Grandmother who bought it because both my sister and mom had Maytags that they LOVED) and it is fabulous. I guess that just goes to show that all the big manufacturers have lemons that sneak through.

With regards to the Gemini oven -- when I was looking at houses last summer, one house that i looked at had one, and my realtor noticably turned her nose up at it. I didn't like the house, so I did not pursue why she was against it. But i definitely did notice she didn't care for it for some reason or another.

I have a Kenmore top-loader washer that goes out of balance all the time, but doesn't shut the machine off so I ignore it.......most of the time.

It was fine before we moved in 2000. I thought something must have happened to it in the move so had a repairman out. He said that there is nothing wrong with it, but it is the floor that it is on. In our old house it was in the basement on concrete. Here it is in a first floor laundry, with a regular floor and regular joists supporting it. So the floor gives some and it goes off kilter. He said that to stop it from going off kilter, we'd have to either move it to the basement, or add support to the floor. Almost eight years later and we've done neither.

An update on the fridge situation. mr. veejer thinks maybe that it got stuck in the defrost cycle. He did some fiddling and it is currently working, but we've got a repairman coming between noon and 2.

Mr angelic made sure my Maytag washer was level by checking all four corners of the machine. We even called a Maytag repairman out, and he did not know why it was always going off balance...and billed us for 84.00 just to come out and check it. We begrudgingly paid the bill, but were not satisfied with the service at all. When mine goes off balance, the machine stops, and I have to redistribute the clothes, then it is fine.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;2748652;
    Mr angelic made sure my Maytag washer was level by checking all four corners of the machine. We even called a Maytag repairman out, and he did not know why it was always going off balance...and billed us for 84.00 just to come out and check it. We begrudgingly paid the bill, but were not satisfied with the service at all. When mine goes off balance, the machine stops, and I have to redistribute the clothes, then it is fine.
    Yes, angelic one -- mine is a top loader also! I hate it!! I cannot wait until we replace it....

My appliances are a mix of brands.

Washer ~ Admiral, about 10 years old.
    Dryer ~ Roper, about 8 years old.
    Refridgerator #1 ~ Magic Chef, 14 years old.
    Refridgerator #2 ~ Crosley, 14 years old.
    Dishwasher ~ Maytag Quiet Series, almost 5 years old and a piece of junk.
    Stove ~ Kenmore, a year old at Christmas and so far so good. This stove replaced a 14 year old Magic Chef. The Magic Chef needed a new heating element, but Mr. Melitta wanted to upgrade, so we replaced the whole thing.

My conclusion is I have had better luck with the "off" brand than brand name. I will never buy another Maytag. The dishwasher has been a problem since right after the first year. Googled the dishwasher the other day and wouldn't ya know it, tons of negative responses. Everyone was having the same problems as me. Guess that is what I get for not checking it out first.
    Last edited by Melitta; 01-11-2008 at 10:17 AM. Reason: spelling error
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

That's so surprising about Maytag-isn't that the commercial where the guy never has anything to do because the product is soooo good? or maybe it's because he's just lazy and doesn't want to fix the problem!

FORT Fogey

I have to admit I'm shocked that so many people hate their Maytags. As I said upthread, my mom, my sister and me all have/had Maytag washers and love/loved them. (past tense for my sister - she switched to a maximum capacity because she was tired of spending all weekend doing laundry. The only reason she didn't get a Maytag was that other manufacturers had bigger ones). In my old house, all my kitchen appliances were Maytag and I loved them. I loved the refrigerator so much I moved it with me when I moved. And I plan on getting the same range that i had before as soon as the electrical work is done in my hosue so that I can get rid of the horrible horrendous gas range that I hate hate hate. The whirlpool microwave that came with the house is not disfunctional enough for me to justify replacing it (yet). But when I do, the only way I'd get something other than the Maytag microwave i had before is if I could come up with the money for one of the GE microwaves that can also be a convection oven.

I think the problem with the Maytags is when they were made. The older ones are wonderful. You just can't kill those things. We have an old, old Maytag dishwasher. We had the repairman in about six months ago and asked him if it was worthwhile to get it fixed or just get a new one. His very strong recommendation was go continue to get it fixed as they're just not built the way they used to be. So if you have an old Maytag, hole onto it. The newer ones just aren't living up to the Maytag name (or price tag). It seems like those of you who are complaining about Maytags have purchased them relatively recently - or maybe I'm reading more into your posts than intended.

+ Reply to Thread