+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 106 FirstFirst ... 30313233343536373839404142434445464748495090 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: FORTers' consumer reports

FORT Fan

Re: FORTers' consumer reports

Go for the real wood. Laminate just doesn't hold up the same way, as others have said.

To keep the real wood floors looking nice, wash with vinegar water once in a while (takes crud that is stuck off very nicely). Once a year, give it a lemon oil rub down if you want to keep the sheen pretty.

Thank you all for your comments. I think you saved me from making a huge mistake!

Has anyone tried the Woolite Pad for carpets yet? Carpet Stain Removers – Woolite Carpet Pod™ This thing is great! It really works for small areas and it smells great! I bought one a few weeks ago and I have used it numerous times. With 3 boys in the house, there is always a mess somewhere..

I was thinking of buying one of those tower fans and wondered if anyone had one. If so, does it do a good job of cooling?

I also don't want anything noisy. Walmart has two options - one was about $10 cheaper and had three sound settings such as wind, natural, and sleep or something like that. I wouldn't mind those options as long as one of them is quiet. The other one was more money because I think it was taller. They both have remotes.

We have A/C but in a mobile home with single pane windows, you can imagine how high my bill is in the summer. I was thinking a really good fan would help keep things cool during the times I had the A/C off.

Archie, my neighbor bought one and loved it so much she chucked her other fans and bought more of the skinny, standing up kind. Hers don't seem to be near as loud as a regular fan. I don't have any, but her house is always cool and like I said, she really likes hers.

I bought some of the Listerine "less intense" vanilla/mint flavor. Well it isn't "less intense" It is just as "intense" as the normal forumla to me.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2467619;
    Question - Anybody have Pergo floors? We're getting either Pergo or hard wood in the living/dining room in our house. I'm undecided which to get. My husband wants the "real" hard wood, but I'm leaning more towards the Pergo. I hear it's much easier to maintain and keep clean. Anyone?
    I just saw your question, Scout, and I've had real oak flooring in my kitchen for 19 years now. Several of my neighbors have tile and Pergo, and the Pergo hasn't held up well, whereas the tile does as long as nothing heavy gets dropped on it, then it chips. We refinished our floors about four years ago, and they look brand new again (you can actually see a little of them in my profile picture).

Kat, thanks for the advice on the Woolite carpet cleaner. I'll keep that in mind next time we need something like that.

Archie, do you have any ceiling fans? They help a lot in keeping our upstairs cooler. Mr. Rose also installed a whole house fan that is wonderful for sucking out all the hot air. I use it in the morning, and after the sun sets. We live in So. Cal., and it gets in the low 100's in the summer. These fans allow us to only run the a/c a few hours/day, so the electrical saving is considerable. Can you use one of those in a mobile home?
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Scout, if you go with real wood, don't get pine! When we pulled up the kitchen linoleum, we found a wonderful hardwood floor. We finished it and it was gorgeous but it was pine. After a year and numerous dents, we tiled it.

I wish I'd known about the whole house fan before we installed our central air.

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2473694;
    I wish I'd known about the whole house fan before we installed our central air.
    Kat, I couldn't do without our a/c, as the whole house fan is only good for when it finally cools down outside. Is there some reason you can't have both?

Hm, I just noticed on the site I linked, they're charging $1200-$1500, maybe that's the problem. Mr. Rose is gone for the weekend, so I can't verify this, but I think we paid around $300-500 for ours about 10 years ago at Home Depot. I find it hard to believe our model could be that expensive now, so I suspect there are cheaper models out there. I'll check with him and repost later in the week.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

roseskid, we do have ceiling fans and they help but some days the A/C runs nonstop because it's just too hot. We don't have an attic so the whole house fan wouldn't be an option. My parents had one in their house and it was extremely noisy and didn't really cool the house down much but that was several years ago so I'm sure they've improved a great deal since then. And we live in south Georgia where it never really does cool down a whole lot in the summer.

I usually have to run the air at night because for some reason I get extremely hot at night even though it's cooler outside. My son's room gets the brunt of the sun and is the hottest room in the house. He's home from college for the summer and has fans running nonstop because he's one of those who gets hot easily and he likes the white noise to help him sleep. He has a box fan, ceiling fan, and a smaller fan by the bed. It sounds like a racetrack in there

livin4reality, I tried the vanilla mint listerine too. I agree that it's not any less intense but it was a nice change of flavor.

katgib13 thanks for the info about your neighbors fan and about the woolite cleaning pod. I've seen the commercials but didn't know if they worked. We are a messy family so I'll have to get one.

+ Reply to Thread