+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 106 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344454647484989 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: FORTers' consumer reports

Re: FORTers' consumer reports

I totally agree with Rattus. My floor is not Pergo, it's Quick-Step.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd scrimp and save to get the hardwood. This is my first home that I own, and I wanted the floor done before I moved in. (There was nasty carpet down that I truly hated originally.) In retrospect, I would have rather have the carpet until I was able to manage real wood.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Thanks for the feedback! That's the exact opposite of what I was told previously!

I have a friend who had Pergo floors in his house, and while they looked nice, I remember him saying he had to be careful because if he dropped something heavy on the Pergo, it could dent permanently.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

On the plus side, my floor did come with a small repair kit (which I have yet to use, but I do have some scratches that could use a touch up) and a 25 year guarantee. Since you purchase enough boards to amply cover the floor, I have almost one full set (I don't know what they call this, one full package) left over, should I totally ruin a section.

I do find that it scratches fairly easily, as it's much softer material than wood.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Same here, Miss Thing. I can't remember it if was Quick Step we installed in the kithen of our last house, but I regretted it the day the installers left. My son dropped a candlestick (to be fair, it was a heavy candlestick) on the floor and it gouged pretty good. After that I was paranoid to drop anything on the floor. Then I started finding little chips on the edges here and there where the installers pounded it in too hard (I'd never again let Lowes back into my house to install so much as a smoke detector, but that is a whole 'nother nightmare).
    Like Rattus posted, cleaning it was a pain, too. I don't know how regular wood flooring is, but this stuff showed water spots something fierce even though I'd mop and immediately dry small sections at a time. A living room/dining room combo would be a lot of floor to baby that way.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2467765;
    Like Rattus posted, cleaning it was a pain, too. I don't know how regular wood flooring is, but this stuff showed water spots something fierce even though I'd mop and immediately dry small sections at a time. A living room/dining room combo would be a lot of floor to baby that way.
    Totally forgot about that. I thought it was just me not knowing how to properly do a particular bit of housework (yet again - you should feel my dishes when I'm done - yikes! Fortunately Mr. Rattus usually does them, being a bit of a fussypants). I kept buffing and buffing and still the spots remained. I just put a rug over it eventually.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I have found a decent solution for that. I have a Steam Blaster (yes, I gave in to the infomercial) and I love it. It does these floors (and I also have granite floors elsewhere) very well. Since the floor never really gets wet, but just steamed, and the steam dries very quickly, it works out ok.

However, my washer overflowed once, and part of my hallway is not buckled, but the veneer has seperated a bit from the main board. You can't see it when the light is on in that hall, or when you are standing there, but in daylight, looking down the hall from one end to the other, it definitely shows (to me, at least).
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2467619;
    Question - Anybody have Pergo floors? We're getting either Pergo or hard wood in the living/dining room in our house. I'm undecided which to get. My husband wants the "real" hard wood, but I'm leaning more towards the Pergo. I hear it's much easier to maintain and keep clean. Anyone?
    I have had Pergo flooring in my kitchen/dining/hall/half bath now for 7 years. While I think it looks beautiful and have not had the issues that others speak of, I would not recommend it. Cost wise, we didn't really save that much. Wear wise, well, at least with a wood floor you can re-finish it if you need to. With laminate you don't have that option. God Forbid you ever get it soaking wet - it would warp something fierce.
    So, my advice - get wood. The real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by jasmar;2281489;
    The gym I used to belong to switched to salt, and it was much nicer. Less harsh, less stinky. I greatly prefer the salt.
    Hmmm...

Is this something you can do to existing chlorine pools?

;0))

PK
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

PK, here is a site that will answer many questions you may have.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

+ Reply to Thread