+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 106 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132333435363738394041424383 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: FORTers' consumer reports

Quote Originally Posted by jelle View Post
    Help please.
    I am "restoring" a crib that was last used 25 years ago. All parts are there surprisingly, but the wooden parts have a redish stain on them. The crib is painted white. Anyone with experience refurbishig an old crib. I am not sure whether one of the kids wants this crib or whether it will just stay at Grandma's. The crib seems to still meet safety standards.
    I found a place on line that could replace one of the brackets that hold up the springs (Products America 800/772-1041. They have "old hardware and pieces for cribs and kits for do it yourself), but I am a bit concerned about the stains, which I an suspecting is someking of mold.
    I haven't tried anything yet. Any other advice would be appreciated.
    jelle
    Cribs made before September 1986 are dangerous. They do not meet current standards. It is illegal to sell, import or advertise these cribs.

Cribs that were made before September 1986 or without a label are not safe for use. http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/...enfants_e.html

Jelle, with a crib, when in doubt - throw it out. The space between the slats can not be more than 2 3/8" and no cut outs on the head or foot boards. Mold is usually green or black - if it's red it might be the original stain of the wood coming through. You wouldn't want to use that crib because even if you paint over it you will feel like hell if, in the future, a baby chews on a bar or the head or foot boards and a paint chip comes off and they get something much more dangerous in their mouths.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy View Post
    Cribs made before September 1986 are dangerous. They do not meet current standards. It is illegal to sell, import or advertise these cribs.

Cribs that were made before September 1986 or without a label are not safe for use. http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/...enfants_e.html

Jelle, with a crib, when in doubt - throw it out. The space between the slats can not be more than 2 3/8" and no cut outs on the head or foot boards. Mold is usually green or black - if it's red it might be the original stain of the wood coming through. You wouldn't want to use that crib because even if you paint over it you will feel like hell if, in the future, a baby chews on a bar or the head or foot boards and a paint chip comes off and they get something much more dangerous in their mouths.
    Surprisingly enough, this crib does seem to meet standards (The bars are less than 2.5" apart and there are no cutouts on the head or footboard. It has filials, but they are removable, and except for the rails for the sides that are candycane shape not flat at the top, it seems to meet today's standards - as far as I can tell.) We are going to sand it and repaint and see whether we run into other safety problems. I'll check the website.
    "Know that you are not the master of your days, but the pioneer of their purpose"
    "My policy: no stone throwing regardless of housing situation." moanamarie
    "well, I am on the right side of the grass." brad womack
    "Create your future.You are not a victim of the world but the hero of your own life"

Last night we had the Butterball Stuffed, seasoned turkeys that you cook from frozen.
    I must say it was delicious! The 12lb bird fed 7 adults and 1 child with enough left over for a couple of sandwiches and soup.
    There was quite a bit of stuffing (I don't eat soggy bread so I didn't have any) hubby said it was good.
    It's a little expensive at $30CDN but IMO well worth it for the time it saves and the great taste.
    Normally I won't touch my mom's turkey (she's not the greatest cook) but I had my fair share last night!
    I give the Butterball Pre-stuffed, cook from frozen turkey a big thumbs up!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    Continuing the carpet stain remover conversation, does anyone have any input about the Bissel Steam Cleaner/Spot Lifter, or other machines of that ilk?

My sister loves the Bissel for baby and dog messes on her high pile carpet, but I'm looking to lift the dirt from my Berber entranceway carpet.

Any ideas? I have heavy dirt and compression from shoes in the front of my door. It's a beige/white/cream Berber-ish carpet that goes throught the house, so I don't want to ruin it!

Thanks for any help!

Jelle--could the red marks on the wood be a sign of aging/decreptitude? Maybe some kind of non-toxic sealant rather than painting???? I don't know too much about that stuff...
    Could does not mean should

FORT Fogey
    Veronica, is the Bissel a regular steam cleaner for carpets, or the smaller machine intended specifically for stains? If it's one just for stains, this won't be of any use. But I used both a Hoover and a Bissel stem cleaner for my carpet when I first bought my house which has off-white berber in the living room and dining room, and regular white carpet in the bedrooms. Based on the amount of dirt that I poured out with the water every time I emptied it, it obviously pulled dirt out of the carpet. But I can not really say that looking at the carpet, I saw a huge difference. The spots that had been pushed down were still rather flat, and there were still some dark spots and stains in the carpet. If you want the assurance that dirt has pulled out of your carpet, I'd say that such a machine is a good bet. But if you really want a deep clean that you can see when you look at the carpet, I'd spend the money and have a professional cleaner come in.

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    Thanks, Veruka, much appreciated!

I was looking to avoid it, but I guess I'm going to have to suck it up one day and go to the home store to rent a professional carpet-steamer-thingy. Maybe I could get a really good clean from that, and then just do upkeep with a Hoover or Bissel personal use one.

It's a welcome-mat sized rectangle of tamped down gray carpet surrounded by the gorgeous oatmeal... looks awful. But I am going to feel (and, no doubt, look) ridiculous manuevering the professional equipment around that tiny little area.

Thanks again!
    Could does not mean should

My girl (L'Teesha) got some new x'tensions. Not sure the brand, but she picked them up at local 7/11. She looks phat in them. Make me go all bow wow. 7/11 was at corner of 63rd and Crenshaw.

VeronicaBelle: Instead of steam-cleaning that little area which seems to be a high traffic spot, why not consider ripping out that welcome mat size of carpet and replace it with tile? Then you don't have to worry and it's easier to clean. You'll need a carpet cutter and something to place at the edge so it doesn't unfurl. Then use the easy stick-up-down kinda tiles. Ask at Home Depot about doing something like that. It might be easier in the long run.

Either that or get a nice welcome-mat size fancy carpet that you can lay over the top and clean with a hose. Make sure your door can open over top of it though as it will raise the heigh of your regular carpet.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

FORT Fogey
    That's a good idea Miss Kitty. They've got some beautiful tiles now in that easy stick-em kind of tiles now. Some friends of mine re-did their kitchen and bathroom with those before selling their house, and I personally thought they looked better than the custom-tiled kitchen they moved in to.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;1641263;
    I can't find a plain old toaster myself. You know one that DOESN'T have the WIDE slots that either toast too light, then the 2nd trip in burns it, or the darn thing burns it right away. If I need to toast bagels I can use the oven or I would buy myself a wide slot just for that. and 8 minutes to make toast is ridiculous.
    A toaster I can recommend is the T-fal avante. Best toaster I've ever had. Got it about 3 years ago for a wedding present. It has wide slots (which I love for toasting homemade bread) and I can toast from light to dark, never burns. Also as a lever that you can lift up the toast out of the toaster without having to stick something in there to get it out. (not that I've ever done that! :nono )

+ Reply to Thread