+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 106 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536373839404181 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: FORTers' consumer reports

Purex liquid detergent is what I've used for years. Occasionally I pick up Cheer, but prefer Purex.
    whippet, what about Murphy's Oil soap? I can't stand to smell it, but my girlfriend uses it and her cabinets look great. My husband used some on our cabinets once when I was away. They looked much better. Maybe I need to buy him some, and take a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by wwhippetcrazy View Post
    I'm also looking for a good wood cleaner.
    We have original (early 1900) wooden stair case that I've just scrapped all the carpet reside off (took me a week) and I want to give it a good clean before I sand down the treads (the carpet residue made a mess, so I need to sand them before re-polyurethaning them)
    I dont' want to sand the spindles (wayyyyy to much work), and they only have a polyurethane finish on them that just needs a really really good cleaning, and I think they'd be fine.
    Murphy's Oil.

I'll try it
    Someone told me to try TSP....but I wouldn't think that would be all that good for the wood that I want the finish to stay on (the spindles)

Thanks
    ---------------------
    opps....

I have these little antipasto dishes from Pottery Barn that are silver, I think. They come with little spoons and we use them for peppers and anchovies and such at formal(ish) dinners when we serve antipasto before the meal. ANYWAY... my mother-in-law or my husband put them in the dishwasher and we have a sanitize rinse thing set on the washer where it rinses the dishes with really, really, really hot water. So the little silver dishes came out black. Is that tarnished silver? I've never washed them like that before and never had real silverware so I was a little dumbfounded. Is that fixable? Do you just have to polish it or something? What would you polish it with? Help!?

burntbrat - my silverware has also come out of the dishwasher like that, too. It doesn't seem to happen as much if I use the gel detergent, but it has happened several times with the powdered kinds. I have a silver polish cream I'm going to try using to see if it will take that black off.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat View Post
    I have these little antipasto dishes from Pottery Barn that are silver, I think. They come with little spoons and we use them for peppers and anchovies and such at formal(ish) dinners when we serve antipasto before the meal. ANYWAY... my mother-in-law or my husband put them in the dishwasher and we have a sanitize rinse thing set on the washer where it rinses the dishes with really, really, really hot water. So the little silver dishes came out black. Is that tarnished silver? I've never washed them like that before and never had real silverware so I was a little dumbfounded. Is that fixable? Do you just have to polish it or something? What would you polish it with? Help!?
    From About.com:
    As silver oxidizes it will tarnish. This layer of oxidation can be removed without polishing and scrubbing by simply dipping your silver in this non-toxic electrochemical dip. Another big advantage to using a dip is that the liquid can reach places a polishing cloth cannot.
    Difficulty: Easy
    Time Required: Minutes
    Here's How:
    1. Line the bottom of the sink or a glass baking dish with a sheet of aluminum foil.
    2. Fill the foil-lined container with steaming hot water.
    3. Add salt (sodium chloride) and baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to the water. Some recipes call for 2 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp salt, whereas others call for 2 tablespoons each of baking soda and salt. Personally, I wouldn't measure the amounts... just add a bit of each substance.
    4. Drop the silver items into the container so that they are touching each other and resting on the foil. You will be able to watch the tarnish disappear.
    5. Leave heavily tarnished items in the solution for as long as 5 minutes. Otherwise, remove the silver when it appears clean.
    6. Rinse the silver with water and gently buff it dry with a soft towel.
    Ideally, you should store your silver in a low-humidity environment. You can place a container of activated charcoal or a piece of chalk in the storage area to minimize future tarnish.

Tips:
    • Use care when polishing or dipping silver plated items. It is easy to wear away the thin layer of silver and cause more harm than good through overcleaning.
    • Minimize exposing your silver to substances which contain sulfur (e.g., mayonnaise, eggs, mustard, onions, latex, wool) as the sulfur will cause corrosion.
    • Using your silver flatware/holloware or wearing silver jewelry helps to keep it free from tarnish.
    What You Need:
    • Sink or glass pan
    • Hot water
    • Baking soda
    • Salt
    • Aluminum foil
    • Tarnished silver
    http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howtos/ht/silverdip.htm
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by wwhippetcrazy View Post
    I use Purex here.
    I love it, it's cheaper (about 5.67 regular price for 40 loads) then Sunlight which I use to use. And I never have noticed a problem with fading etc.

I'm also looking for a good wood cleaner.
    We have original (early 1900) wooden stair case that I've just scrapped all the carpet reside off (took me a week) and I want to give it a good clean before I sand down the treads (the carpet residue made a mess, so I need to sand them before re-polyurethaning them)
    I dont' want to sand the spindles (wayyyyy to much work), and they only have a polyurethane finish on them that just needs a really really good cleaning, and I think they'd be fine.
    I was looking for something to clean my antiques on the Antique Roadshow website. They didn't recomend any kind of oils for cleaning because it darkens wood...but since you have polyurethane on them Murphy's oil would be fine.....Just don't get them too wet....

Thanks
    I have yet to use the mupheys on the wood that has the poly on it.

The treads that I have been scrapping, my hubby convinced me to try the TSP to clean off the marks etc that I could scrap off, considering that I'll be sanding them anyways.

I must say...I'm impressed!! The TSP took off all the black I could not scrap, and the glue marks (not actual glue, just the lines where the glue was)...and there were some spots on the treads that still had poly on it (not much mind you)..and it didn't strip it away as I was afraid it would.

So to make a long story short, I'm going to TSP the entire stair case, then sand the treads and backs and banisters tops.
    Then I'm going to re-poly it.

I will still try the Murphy's on the spindles and the banister bottoms, as I'm not planning on resanding those.
    Does the Murphy's kind of protect the wood?? I'm hoping that once this is done right, next time it will just be a matter of wiping the stairs down quickly.

So many projects...so little time
    ---------------------
    opps....

whippet Murphys will protect the wood, it works better when you use it on a regular basis. Murphys has a spray out now for cleaning - way better than a bucket, you can't get the wood too wet.

I was coming looking for this thread today, I bought some Pantene Restoratives conditioner last night and tried it today, it's fantastic. Not too heavy and rinses out clean but leaves your hair smooth as silk.
    At $7.50/bottle it is a little pricey but not all that bad for good hair!
    We'll have to wait and see if it builds up though.
    Thumbs up
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Thanks Duxxy ~ I didnt' see the Spray Muphy's at Sprawlmart today...but I did get some regular Murphys and some Almond Glo...because it is made with Almond's and smells like almonds, and I wanted some chocolate covered almonds Lol...
    It had a spray bottle, that's why I really picked it up also, thought it would be easier to do a quick wipe with.

I seen a commercial for that Pantene and wanted to try it....that is pricey for conditioner, but I just may have to try it (when it goes on sale )
    ---------------------
    opps....

+ Reply to Thread