+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 106 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132333435363738394080 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: FORTers' consumer reports

Critical - I'm so stupid about links. I thought you were just underlining the product. Anyway, it just gives me a notice that the link has been deactivated or something.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    Critical - I'm so stupid about links. I thought you were just underlining the product. Anyway, it just gives me a notice that the link has been deactivated or something.
    I know, Gut - it does just look like I underlined it. I should probably have changed the color of the text so it looked more like a link. I'll try a link to another e-store that carries it: Magnetic Broom. If it works, it would definitely be worth the money. The other day, my relatively new vacuum cleaner started smoking. I'm guessing that's not a good thing.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm going to be in a mall with a Penny's today and I'll see if they carry them there. I'll get one and report back if they do. I tell you, Critical - if it works I owe you big time.
    Count your blessings!

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    HELP! I need a toaster. Just a regular, 4-slice toaster that toasts bread. I bought a new toaster oven because mine finally bit the dust. It's HUGE and (no lie) takes 8 minutes to make toast! I don't want to even think how much electricity I'm using for 2 damn pieces of toast!!

Anyone have a basic toaster they love or a brand they prefer? You wouldn't believe how many toasters are out there. I need less choice

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    I just got my order of Miracle Cloths from Solutions and I have to say

I use so many paper towels when I clean - my place tends to get very dusty and I have two very hairy cats who shed everywhere. These cloths are incredible! They pick up dust off of everything AND they hold onto it! I even got dust off a stuffed animal (with Beanie Baby-type "fur") with it. If you rub them on furniture, they pick up cat hair too. Plus, when they get dirty, you just throw them in the wash. You get 3 for $9.50 - totally worth the price.
    I just found this at Walgreens.com b/c I thought they sold them there. Seems you get more sizes for $8.99.

Miracle Cloth
    by Micro Fiber
    Shop our Brand Store for more brands!
    Price: $8.99 4.0 ea.
    Unit Price: $2.25/ea.
    Complete Set of 4:
    One 6 x 6 inch Optical MicroFiber cloth
    Two 12 x 12 inch All-Purpose MicroFiber cloths
    One 16 x 16 inch Super size MicroFiber cloth

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp
    HELP! I need a toaster. Just a regular, 4-slice toaster that toasts bread. I bought a new toaster oven because mine finally bit the dust. It's HUGE and (no lie) takes 8 minutes to make toast! I don't want to even think how much electricity I'm using for 2 damn pieces of toast!!

Anyone have a basic toaster they love or a brand they prefer? You wouldn't believe how many toasters are out there. I need less choice

I can't find a plain old toaster myself. You know one that DOESN'T have the WIDE slots that either toast too light, then the 2nd trip in burns it, or the darn thing burns it right away. If I need to toast bagels I can use the oven or I would buy myself a wide slot just for that. and 8 minutes to make toast is ridiculous.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Resurfacing this old thread to post about steam cleaners. I have two, a small hand-held Conair model and the big AS SEEN ON TV! Steam Blaster.

I got the Conair first, thinking if it worked well, I'd have saved some money. It worked on my bathroom mirrors and on my stove (which was pretty gunky), but did a disappointing job on my sliders, tub and everything else. The steam isn't pressurized enough for the machine to be effective.

After some further debate, I went for the Steam Blaster, and I love this thing. I have polished granite floors in my entry way, my baths and my kitchen. I've used both a Swiffer wet-jet and the Mr. Clean Magic Reach floor pads to clean them, and while the floors come up clean, a thin dull film remains. The Steam Blaster (which does an outstanding job cleaning and sanitizing without chemicals) brought the shine up as if the floors were new. It's cleaned everything I've tried it on (toilet bowl, outdoor furniture, my slider, floors, tub and tub surround) wonderfully. Two things I haven't tried yet, but will in the near future, are the walls and my laminate wood flooring.

I did buy an extra supply of the microfibre booties that are used for floor cleaning (I don't have a washing machine in my condo). For smaller jobs, I use the machine with the concentrator attachment, and a microfiber towel. (A note on those - I don't own a car, but bought auto detailing microfiber towels in bulk from an car supply place, for me it was a bit less expensive than others I'd found.)

The Steam Blaster comes with a handle attachment (that makes the mop or wall cleaner), a squeegee type attachment, a concentrator, and nylon brushes. When I bought the extra booties, I got some other scrubby type pads, not unlike the rough side of a two sided sponge. My original idea was that I'd use those on the furniture on my deck, but I haven't needed them to get rid of the winter gunk. They may still come in handy, once the weather is warm enough for my outside to get more use.

One potential drawback to the machine is the cleaning time per session. So far, I've been using hot tap water, and the heating time is about six minutes. One 'tank' of water (they give you a measuring cup and funnel) lasts me about 20 minutes of actual steam time. For my condo, that's more than enough time to do my regular routine, but for a large home, it might be too short. Once the tank is empty (and that's clear, steam simply stops coming) the machine does have to cool down (about 15 minutes) before it can be refilled. Since the tank is pressurized, there would definitely be a danger of scalding from any remaining moisture if opened too soon. (I'll note that my condo is a two bedroom, two full bath, kitchen and livingroom setup - about 1100 square feet.)

All in all, though, I love this thing!

It's thanks to this thread that I caught onto two of my other favorites (way back when) the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, and more recently, the microfiber towels. So, I thought I'd add my two cents worth on another worthwhile investment.
    Last edited by MissThing; 04-01-2006 at 09:34 AM.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by Tirlittan View Post
    One product I am in love with is Ortho Home Defense indoor insect killer spray. It is safe to use around food, kids and pets, and kills on contact, and does not smell bad. It has a strong scent, but I'd still say it is a scent, not smell/odor. Or should I say it does not smell poisonous like other sprays. The weather is so warm here that we still get bugs, and the spray is in almost daily use. (Sometimes I wonder why I pay for professional spraying when I still get tiny ants crawling around...??) It works on all bugs I have encountered so far (ants, flies, roaches...).
    Does anyone have any other insect (Flies mostly) killers that they recommend? The pest strips, or zappers, etc?

Anyone have any liquid laundry detergent favorites...as far as NOT fading clothes? I wondered if anyone had noticed which brands fade clothes more, or which fade less? I know sometimes it depends on your water, too..but we have rural well water...but it's softened.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

I use Purex here.
    I love it, it's cheaper (about 5.67 regular price for 40 loads) then Sunlight which I use to use. And I never have noticed a problem with fading etc.

I'm also looking for a good wood cleaner.
    We have original (early 1900) wooden stair case that I've just scrapped all the carpet reside off (took me a week) and I want to give it a good clean before I sand down the treads (the carpet residue made a mess, so I need to sand them before re-polyurethaning them)
    I dont' want to sand the spindles (wayyyyy to much work), and they only have a polyurethane finish on them that just needs a really really good cleaning, and I think they'd be fine.
    ---------------------
    opps....

+ Reply to Thread