+ Reply to Thread
Page 105 of 106 FirstFirst ... 5559596979899100101102103104105106 LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1059
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: FORTers' consumer reports

Re: FORTers' consumer reports

They are 8 separate appliqued pieces stretched on stretcher bars. Each one is about 2 feet by 4 feet. Not quilted.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Debb70 I like your choice of gray and white with a blue accent wall and dark floor. The light warm gray's walls, medium gray cabinets would be pretty with creamy white woodwork and warm blue gray accent wall. You could tie it all together or add accents with special cabinet knobs/pulls, a backsplash and countertop.

On Sherwin-Williams website, they have a paint color visualizer. You pick the room and paint colors and it shows you how the combination looks. It might be helpful.

They have carpet that is a combination of several thread colors, not one solid color, that looks nice. It gives some color variation without a distinctive pattern.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 08-04-2014 at 12:31 AM.
    Debb70 likes this.

Thanks Inthegarden, I'll check it out.

FoRTer

I like the idea of grays, too. When you mentioned that, I thought of a blog I follow (lifeingrace) that has a kitchen with similar colors... it makes a great backdrop for putting your own personal touches in it.
    Something I was thinking of -- with all that trim to be painted, if you decide to do it yourself, maybe renting or borrowing one of those paint sprayers would be worth it? Then you'd just have to roll the walls and ceilings.
    Debb70 likes this.

FORT Fogey

I just discovered you're covering one of my favorite subjects - paint! Deb, if I lived near you I'd come over to paint for you. It's therapeutic to me. I go paint at my friends houses whenever I can! Personally, I don't care for Behr, though I know many people who love it. I think it's too thick. When I get paint at Home Depot, I usually go with Glidden. I've used Sherwin Williams before and been happy with it too. Whether you are at a store like Home Depot or a paint store, I'd recommend giving whoever helps you specifics on the places you are painting and let them guide you. I've found even at the big box stores, in the paint department most of the people are very knowledgable of the products and give very good guidance on when to use which finishes, best ways to apply, etc. Because you are taking on such a big project, you may want to vary which paints you use for different rooms. When it comes to different brands and qualities, there are two ways it really comes into play - application, and durability. If you are painting any rooms that don't get a lot of use (that would be the living room and dining room in my house ... in some homes it's a guest room, powder room, etc) you can get away with using a lower quality paint. If there's not much chance of walls being rubbed up against, having kids accidentally mark them up, etc then you don't need to pay more for the ability to clean them up. On the other hand, for high traffic areas, it's worth it to spend the money for a higher quality paint that will resist being marked up as people and pets bump against it, can be washed, etc. One other tip -- if you find colors you like but you want to go with another brand, you can do that. Any store has the formulas to tint paint from one brand into another. Lastly on colors -- if you get some colors you want, and want to compliment them with darker or lighter shades, ask the person helping you for the master palette. Every paint manufacturer has one, and it has shades that are not necessarily all shown on the sample cards on display. For example, if you pick a light grey for a kitchen, and want to paint cabinets a darker tone, you find the color on the master palette, and it will show you the same tone shades darker (or lighter). Lastly on application, since you mentioned you are painting woodwork. Look for a product called Floetrol. It's a paint additive that professional painters often use for paint they run through a sprayer. It thins the paint slightly so that you don't have brush marks on woodwork. It's especially nice if you are using a gloss finish on woodwork. You just mix a bit into the paint and it applies smoother. Have fun!
    Debb70 likes this.

ACookerTV, that's great advice. I will use it. I have two bedrooms that will not get much traffic, so I think I'll go with a less expensive paint in them. I think I'll use less expensive paint inside the closets and pantry too. I like the idea on exploring the different shades of color too.

Coltnlasma, I have no idea how I would use a paint sprayer, but it sounds good to me. I'm checking it out.

I'm loving all the info I've gotten here at FORT. I'm actually excited over the project, even though it's money and time I wasn't planning on investing right now. I figured I had years before I had to deal with it. You never know what life will bring your way.

I've decided to get my cousin, who's in Assisted Living, a portable AM/FM radio for her upcoming birthday. I searched for one that is simple and she can operate with her dementia. I was originally searching for a CD player, but I think that might confuse her switching out the CD's, losing them, complicated buttons, etc., so I settled on the radio.
    I found one that has good reviews and is basic by Sony. It sells for $14.00 on Amazon.com, but I'll have to pay shipping. On Walmart's site the same item is $34.00, but free shipping to your home. Isn't that odd. I guess Amazon will be about the same with the shipping costs.

I called around to find it in a store, so I could just pay the $14.99 and no shipping charge, but no luck.
    Photobabe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I've decided to get my cousin, who's in Assisted Living, a portable AM/FM radio for her upcoming birthday. I searched for one that is simple and she can operate with her dementia. I was originally searching for a CD player, but I think that might confuse her switching out the CD's, losing them, complicated buttons, etc., so I settled on the radio.
    I found one that has good reviews and is basic by Sony. It sells for $14.00 on Amazon.com, but I'll have to pay shipping. On Walmart's site the same item is $34.00, but free shipping to your home. Isn't that odd. I guess Amazon will be about the same with the shipping costs.

I called around to find it in a store, so I could just pay the $14.99 and no shipping charge, but no luck.
    This is an issue I see all the time. Around here there's a big "shop local" push to try to counteract the burgeoning online shopping situation. But I've found that our local stores, the mall, even Walmart & KMart, stock the big turn over items only. If you want something even just a little out of the norm, like your Sony Radio, which is name brand & should be easy to find, nobody carries it in stock. If you ask if they can order it they just refer you to their website.

I'm also finding this with clothes, especially shoes. Size 6 is NOT an abnormally small size, but when the truck comes in there's only 1 pair of 6's in a style & only in 1 color. I was told this by a Department Store clerk in the shoe department. It's common practice now. By the time the shoe sales happen they're long gone. I'm a sale buyer, especially for shoes, so it's very frustrating.

Amazon has that thing where if your purchase is over $35.00 the shipping is free (but only on some items). I'd check & see if the radio qualifies & maybe find some other stuff you want or need to bring the purchase up to $35.00. Worth it in the long run.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Interesting info about the shoes. I've been shopping for my niece for little girl shoes and you wouldn't believe how difficult it is to find those in her size. It must be very popular. I can locate them online, but there're about $50.00 per pair and that's a little steep for a growing foot and my budget. lol

I kept searching and found the Sony Radio at K-Mart for $12.63!!! The problem is that the closest store that has it in stock is 45 miles away and when I tried to order it to my Raleigh store, they said that's not possible. ??? I called the store that has it and they said they can't ship it to the store near me. I would have to pay for it to be shipped to my home. Then I got the shipping cost frm Amazon.com and it's about the same shipping. Plus, I already deal with Amazon and they have all my shipping and credit card info, so I think I'm going to order it there. Man, that was a lot of wasted time. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Interesting info about the shoes. I've been shopping for my niece for little girl shoes and you wouldn't believe how difficult it is to find those in her size. It must be very popular. I can locate them online, but there're about $50.00 per pair and that's a little steep for a growing foot and my budget. lol

I kept searching and found the Sony Radio at K-Mart for $12.63!!! The problem is that the closest store that has it in stock is 45 miles away and when I tried to order it to my Raleigh store, they said that's not possible. ??? I called the store that has it and they said they can't ship it to the store near me. I would have to pay for it to be shipped to my home. Then I got the shipping cost frm Amazon.com and it's about the same shipping. Plus, I already deal with Amazon and they have all my shipping and credit card info, so I think I'm going to order it there. Man, that was a lot of wasted time. lol
    This is another issue I've run into. I'll ask a store, large Department Store, Chain, Big Box, if they can order in a specific item that is carried by their other stores. I even offer to pay upfront. The answer, like yours, is "Not possible." When asked why (I don't give up easily without an explanation) is that they "Just get what the warehouse automatically sends us. We can't request." Then they refer me to their website, where I'd have to pay shipping/handling, and very often has a minimum order of at least $50.00, sometimes $100.00, and wait 8-16 business days to get it delivered to my house, where I'm never home during the day. This seems to be extremely common in retail nowadays.

What they're doing is driving away customers. Personally I think the Big Boys at the top want to get away from having local stores & get away from the overhead & employees. Online is way cheaper for them & they get you to pay for delivery too.

I really hate this. I want to see & touch an item to make sure it's what I want. Especially with clothes. I need to try them on. I'm short/petite. I have to make sure clothes go in where I go in & out where I go out. This isn't as easy as picking a size off a picture. Plus what looks good on the model may look horrible on me.

Maybe I'll just start wearing sweats & mumus all the time. And flip flops.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread