+ Reply to Thread
Page 104 of 106 FirstFirst ... 454949596979899100101102103104105106 LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1057
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: FORTers' consumer reports

Re: FORTers' consumer reports

I'm not sure about the B. Moore. I'm tempted, but, that's a little steep for the budget.

I'm painting the entire inside of the house, including all walls, all doors, plus all trim, all ceilings, all kitchen cabinets and both bathrooms. So, I'm not sure I want to put that much into each gallon, if I can get a good quality for much less. I may consider getting the B. Moore just for the living room and kitchen. It's going to take a lot of paint and I know that with the better paints, it takes less paint, so you might be spending just as much with a less expensive paint, depending on how many coats you have to apply.

Debb70 If you are using the same color, you can get paint in 5 gallon containers. It might be a cheaper to buy it this way instead of individual gallons.
    Punkin and Debb70 like this.

I'll check it out.

It's definitely less expensive if you get the 5 gallon buckets.
    Gravity, it's not just a good idea. It's the law!

I have to settle on my colors, but it's just a big commitment. lol I wanted to do the ceilings white, Wainescotting white, trim white and the wall color in a light grey. And do the kitchen cabinets in a medium grey. Dark hardwood in the kitchen and a neutral carpet in the living area. I'm now just scared all the white will look too sterile and cold. Even with the grey shades on the walls and cabinets.

I'm now thinking I may should go with creams and off whites to make it more relaxing and warm. I'm just tired of that though. I lived with those colors a lot.

I've read that using something that is not bright white would make it easier on the eye, but that doesn't seem to look right with a grey.....I don't know. Decisions, decisions. lol

Well, gray IS a cool color, so that and white will look cold. You can make things look warmer with the furnishings.

I'm a big fan of accent walls. You can use a bold or different color on one wall and it really does make a difference. In my last apartment, I painted a small wall a deep adobe color. It looked so great. I painted my bedroom wall a kind of warm taupe-y color a few years ago (the rest of the house is off-white). I rent, but it's easy enough to paint over one wall before I move out.

You could paint an accent wall so many different colors that would coordinate with white and gray - orange, red, purple, blue...- and each color could totally change the feel of the room.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'll vouch for Behr, too. I made the mistake of painting an entire living room in Olympic paint, which was so thin and runny that it had drip marks. I repainted in Behr and now that's all I ever use.

BTW, Debb, my living room is a warm gray and the trim is a creamy white. It's a beautiful combination, especially if you've got black-and-white photographs with black frames. I use pillows and vases for pops of color. I agree with Critical that a single accent wall could warm up the entire room.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

I had actually picked out a nice shade of blue that is rather popular right now and it looked nice with my colors. I just wasn't sure how to make it fit in though with the other colors. I was afraid that it might be too busy with 4 colors, plus the floor color. It's also a large space to deal with (cathedral ceiling). It's one large open space, consisting of the living room, dining area and kitchen. I'm not opposed to an accent wall, it's just not that clear cut to pick one due to the room layout. I've done that before in my foyer and dining room and liked it a lot.

I think I will revisit the blue color and perhaps get some samples to try out before I commit. Maybe, after I clear a lot of things out of the room it will be easier to envision.

Point taken on the importance of high quality paint. I do intend to use the best I can afford.

The more I think of how much labor will be involved with painting every inch of that house, the more I'm inclined to think I may have someone else do it. People keep saying I can save so much money by doing it myself, but the thought of it is so overwhelming. I'm not sure I'm up to it.
    Last edited by Debb70; 08-02-2014 at 08:44 PM.

Too busy! The wall of my living room is the exact length to fit a series of fabric pieces I made years ago. There are 8 large pieces that start and end with a black and white spiral and then go through the colors of the rainbow for each period of a woman's life. Talk about busy! It dominates the room. But then I'm not a decorator type person. My style is total chaos.
    life.jpg
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 08-03-2014 at 08:38 AM.
    hornet7, inthegarden and Debb70 like this.
    Count your blessings!

Gutt, your fabric idea is pretty good. I like that if you want to change it up you can just take it down and switch it up.

I LOVE your fabric wall covering. It's quite beautiful. Did you make it like a quilt? Very nice indeed.

+ Reply to Thread