+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Veneers:good or bad?

dagwood, Wilma's veneers were made of dinosaur bone.
    Brodie, I actually think of them as being the same. Don't know if dentists agree. Does anyone else know?

Toothdoc should be back tomorrow .. maybe she can shed some light for us
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    My husband has a veneer on one tooth. He broke his front tooth when he was a kid, his parents set him up with a silver tooth which he lived with all the way through high school and then he had it re-done to with porcelain (or something white that looks like a tooth...not sure of the actual substance). I would like to get the veneers done now that I have seen Extreme Makeover -- I think the biggest change in these people isn't nose jobs or tummy tucks...it's usually having the teeth done. I am over 50 and age shows on teeth (for me at least). I didn't have perfectly aligned pearly whites when I was young though. My teeth are in what I would call the "not too bad" stage. No one is going to comment on my beautiful white teeth...but they do comment on my smile (positive comments). I need caps put on four of the teeth that are in the front...so I am considering just having the whole thing done. But, my guess is that it is expensive. I have two missing teeth - I wear a "flipper" which is sort of like a retainer with two fake teeth, so the missing tooth thing doesn't show at all. I wear it 24/7. Anyway, to get the missing teeth replaced I have to have caps on the two teeth on either side of the spaces and a permanently fake tooth in place of the missing one (I guess this would be called a bridge). For the three teeth (X two because the missing tooth space isn't together) the dentist charges $5,000 per tooth. That's $15,000 for those who are counting...or $30,000 total. Insurance would cover a little of this...but not much. I don't think that insurance would cover anything for veneers that are for cosmetic purposes only.

If I had a choice, I would do just about anything as an alternate. Tooth whitening, braces or whatever. It may take longer to get that perfect smile...and might cost as much as veneers...but it doesn't damage your teeth. As Mudah mentioned....trying anything rather than having your teeth grinded to unrecognizable things and having veneers or caps should be the last resort.

Having said this...almost every celebrity you see probably has caps or veneers. If their smile is dazzling...it's probably fake.
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by John
    DJ, you're like 9, right? Wait until you're of legal age, at least. You have a long time in which to decide.
    um what made you come up with that conclusion of me being 9? i dont think i would have such an avator if i was. hehe And if i was, there are waiver forms here. i know 6 year olds that have them. i am almost 18 anyways.
    ...But my question... What is the difference between "Veneer" and "Cap" ...
    well there are two types of veneer teeth.
    the cheaper ones i forgot the name of, but they are around $250 per tooth. and they last about 5 years.

porcelain veneers can range from $500+ and last about 10+ years.

hm.. that is alot of money. but stain-free and may be cavity free

and it is all about how fast you want them, or how bad. but if your teeth are grinded a little then covered does that really matter?

do you consider this plastic sur.?

Veneers are not cavity free! Like crowns, you have to be extra careful cleaning them or what's left of your real tooth will rot out from under the dental work!
    DJ, if it's the color of your teeth that bothers you, try a professional bleaching that you get through your dentist. I tried all the kits from the store, then got my dentist to set me up. There's no comparison! I smoked for 23 years, after I had been quit for 5 years I stareted trying all those over the counter bleaching things because my teeth were STILL very yellow. Nothing made me happy until I got the professional stuff; it works FANTASTIC!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

If a tooth is in a really bad condition, and not just because of being yellow, there is also the option to replace the whole tooth with a screwed in (to jawbone) porcelain tooth. I think that would be really a better option considering how easily those filed down teeth (under veneers) can get cavities because the enamel is gone.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirlittan
    If a tooth is in a really bad condition, and not just because of being yellow, there is also the option to replace the whole tooth with a screwed in (to jawbone) porcelain tooth. I think that would be really a better option considering how easily those filed down teeth (under veneers) can get cavities because the enamel is gone.
    That's a dental implant. When I got a root canal about 1.5 years ago, my root/tooth was so damaged that they weren't sure if they could save any of it. If not, I would have had to get a dental implant, which they said is very painful (much moreso than the root canal, which was bad enough), & also very expensive. Fortunately, they were able to save my tooth, so I didn't have to get the implant. I'd choose a veneer over an implant any day!

My husband has veneers on his two front teeth up top. He broke his real teeth off when he was 12 while playing football. He had the veneers for 20 years before he needed to get them replaced, & even then, insurance only covered 50% of it. It still costed us $900.00. Ouch.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirlittan
    My Dad has these implants; he's 71 and has had them about 10 years, and he says they're great, and he would do it again. And this man is scared to death of any kind of doctors, surgery or medical/dental procedures. So I'm guessing it sounds a lot worse than it is. He has , I think 3-4 implants on each side. Believe this though, he certainly is thorough in following the dentists instructions about caring for the implants and the rest of his real teeth. He uses a water pik and an electric toothbrush for at least 5 minutes twice a day!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiCee
    My husband has a veneer on one tooth. He broke his front tooth when he was a kid, his parents set him up with a silver tooth which he lived with all the way through high school and then he had it re-done to with porcelain (or something white that looks like a tooth...not sure of the actual substance).
    That sounds very similar to what I have KaiCee. I broke one of my front teeth off when I was a kid, flipped over the handlebars of my bicycle and planted myself face first in the street. I still have a tooth under it, or atleast part of one that was in tact with no nerve damage just broken off, but I believe it's painted on porcelain that they cover it with...very similar to when you get your nails done, it had a form around my tooth and she kept painting on more until it matched up closely to my other tooth and then sanded it down to make them even. I've only had it replaced 2 times in the past 25 years or so that I've had it. The first time I picked at it till it came off because the doctor didn't make it the right color and I hated it and the second time I don't even remember what I did but it came off when I was in college and I made an emergency visit home to get it fixed.

There is one very odd thing about these, that if you smile when in black light they don't glow like regular teeth do. I notice it when I go out to clubs and such with primarily black lighting, there's a gap where my front tooth is because it just doesn't shine like normal ones will.

I have a bridge for one of my front teeth. When I was 9, I knocked it out and shattered the bone structure in the gums, making it impossible to replace.

My only complaint is that they ground the backs of my 2 teeth next to it way down to get a good surface to bond to, but they ground a little too deep, and you can see the silver in the space between my front teeth. It looks like a dark spot, and it drives me nuts.

Ah well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast