+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aren't Grandparents Great

Aren't Grandparents Great

Rather than keep hijacking another thread, I'll start a new one. Someone mentioned how wonderful grandparent stories are and I'll agree.

When I moved in with my fiance, I thought it proper to tell my grandma that I was going to have a "roommate" since we were living in my great-grandma's old house that my grandparents still owned. Grandma had a fit and let me know in no uncertain terms that she "knew" why we were moving in together. I should never have asked why, but she told me very succinctly. Sex. S-E-X. She even spelled it out loud like that. I pretty much told her that we'd try to make time for that between work, housework, yardwork, taking care of the pets, cooking meals, sleeping, etc. She was not amused.

Cut to when I was getting married. I was at her house showing her all the detail stuff...invitations, my dress pattern, blah blah. Grandma says, "Well, I HOPE you're not getting married in white." I was a little speechless since I'd just showed her the white fabric that I was making my dress from. Let me tell you, the woman was livid...heh heh...and I ended up ordering different fabric...a nice candlelight silk.

How can you disappoint the woman who gave me my first cup of coffee and let me watch Mommie Dearest on her HBO after my mom specifically told me I was not allowed to watch it?

I completely understand. My grandmother has been "disappointed" by so many members of the family that she has finally given up. All of the her older grandkids have lived with their significant others a long while before getting married, even had kids before getting married. I knew she gave her approval to my husband, then mere boyfriend, when she gave us a crocheted cotton bedspread. It is my most prized belonging, no question about it.

I never encountered this white wedding dress dilemma because I decided to get married in black (because black really is the original color of wedding dresses, and I could not picture myself in white). I am not sure if she would have complained about white dress, but she might have complained about veil if I had had one (veil back home is for the "innocent"). My grandmother was also the only person I told that I am getting married, we didn't even tell our parents. But I had to tell my grandmother because she is, well, my grandmother
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

If I were ever to live with a boyfriend or fiance or whatever, I know I could never tell my grandfather (my only remaining grandparent). He is so old-fashioned. He himself remarried about five years ago, at age 81. My grandmother, to whom he'd been married for more than 50 years, had died a year before and he was so lonely, he chased every widow in a three-county area. He finally snagged one (he's her fifth husband). While they were "courting" (his term) he would take her out on overnight camping trips, but would insist that my mother, his 50-some-year-old daughter, go along as a chaperone. So no one would think he and this woman were out in the camper alone together overnight before they were married.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I don't really think you truly appreciate grandparents or indeed your parents until they are no longer with you.

on vacation
    The thing that comes to mind when I think of grandparents is the fact that my son's grandparents ARE SOOOOO NOT the same people that raised me!
    Memo from God

I am God. Today I will be handling all of your problems. Please remember that I do not need your help.

I don't have any happy stories to relate about grandparents. I only ever knew one grandmother and she didn't like me. My foster mother didn't like my kids either. I know I have gone waaaayyy in the other direction with my own grandkids. I really don't care if I am spoiling them. Two are grown now and we are close friends. My grand daughter called the other day and talked for two hours about her wedding plans. My grand son and I are taking a trip to Arizona when school is out. The little kid, almost three, is also spoiled by Muduh. New hiking boots yesterday, new tennies today and next week he will be out of town for three days and when he returns, he will have new dinosaur bedding and curtains. GG, sorry if I got off on too much discussion. You didn't get an answer to your question from me, did you?

My grandmothers were both wonderful people.

As for when my husband and I were shacking up....my one grandmother who asked where my husband was living...I told her "less then 5 minutes away." which was true, it took less then 5 mins to walk from the living room where I was talking to her on the phone to the bedroom where he was watching tv.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Grandparents are okay. COnsidering I rarely see them maybe once a year or so. So i've never really grown to build a relationship to any of them, but it's cool they always seem to like to mail in some cash on my birthdays which you know i don't mind

Grandparents are great! I lost my grandfather on Christmas day 2002 and I'm glad he knew how much I loved him, we were really close. I just regret not seeing him for the last 3 months before he passed away because I was pregnant and he was n a home with many sick people. But like I said, he knew how much I loved him. My grandmother will be 89 in 2 months and she is great too

Awwww, I don't really have any horrible stories to share. I live with my boyfriend and if my grandmothers have any issue with it, they don't tell me.

My grandparents are/were all wonderful people. Both of my grandmothers have been great sources of support for me throughout my life. When I was 15, I crashed my mother's car into our neighbours fence across the street. (Don't ask, I just meant to pull the car out into the laneway) My grandparents came down the next day and my grandfather repaired the fence and made me feel, well, less stupid then I was feeling at the time. He died two years ago.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast