+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A smell...

Bologna...it reminds me of the school cafeteria. I'm so sick of bologna.

incense. I grew up in the shadow of the counter-culture. 'nuff said.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

FORT Newbie
    I have a lot of them...but I can't remember them all!

The smell of Peeps always reminds me of my grandpa. He loves those things!

There's this brand of taco seasoning that always reminds me of my mom's cooking. She doesn't cook much, and it always seems to be tacos when she does.

Salon Selectives shampoo reminds me of growing up, as well as all the Johnson's products.

Fresh cut grass or honeysuckle take me back. Mint plants will too cause my grandmother had them growing in the front of her yard.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by otter
    Trapp candles make an amazing gardenia and honeysuckle candle that smells so much like the real thing a neighbor wondered why we had honeysuckle blooming in spring.
    Ooooh, I'll have to try those!

FORT Fogey
    The smell of fresh asphalt or roof tar reminds me of being a boy and walking to and from school in spring or fall when workers normally do this. There is something special about it because it still gives me that high as if summer break were right around the corner or the feeling you would get when school first started for the year and you had all your new clothes and school supplies.

The smell of freshly cut grass also reminds me of my boyhood. Carefree days, baseball cards, my schwinn bike, 5 speed orange crate with fat slick back tire, banana seat and a sissy bar.

The smell of newspaper also brings back memories of being a boy, waking up early every morning, sleep still in my eyes and sitting on the front porch rolling and rubber banding a couple of bundles of newspapers, filling my bag, jumping on my bike and doing my paper route.
    Last edited by Daddio; 04-29-2004 at 11:21 AM.

Lilacs always remind me of when I was a kid because my mom's always had lilac bushes and she used to wear that Avon perfume creme in lilac scent. When I'm sick, I can light a lilac candle or schmear a little lilac oil on and it'll make me feel better enough that I can sleep.

A weird one - tractor tires, sand and pine needles remind me of my grandpa who died about 25 years ago. He used to live in northern Wisconsin (hence the pine and sandy soil) and had all these tractor tires laying at the edge of his property that the township's feral cats used to live in. It's a weird combination, but anyone who's been up in that area's (the Dells) undoubtedly smelled it and knows what I mean.

Them smell of our shed - where we keep most of our lawn equipment, tools, and gasoline - always reminds me of my granddaddy's tool shed that was in his back yard. Such a distinctive smell . . . .I am instantly transported back every time I walk into ours, and I can remember exactly what his looked like inside with such incredible detail - even though I haven't seen it for over 25 years.

Also, just the other day, I caught the STRONGEST scent of cedar as we were driving through the hills and was back at summer camp as a teenager once again.

Other scents . . . Fresh-cut grass, honeysuckle, and home-made bread. Ah, the sweet, wistful memories of childhood!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

FORT Fogey
    I forgot to add that I also love the smell of Coppertone sun-tan lotion and it always takes me back to pleasant memories of childhood summers.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    I forgot to add that I also love the smell of Coppertone sun-tan lotion and it always takes me back to pleasant memories of childhood summers.
    Oooh, Coppertone or Hawaiin Tropic...I always say they "smell like the beach."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast